WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Re: NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

Thu May 10, 2018 7:58 am

baustin wrote:When the TCU stops responding, I just do a 30-second fuse pull, and then all is good for another month or two. Yes, it is an inconvenience, but not as much as it would be not having remote access to the car.

I'm averaging about 3 months between fuse pulls. Annoying, but I need remote access for preheat in winter.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

MalcolmReynolds
Delivery Date: 04 Jul 2017

Thu May 10, 2018 9:01 am

baustin wrote:Your denying yourself the advantages of a functioning TCU, because of the possibility of a problem. Yes, there are those with TCU issues, but not everyone has been negatively affected. It may cost me a little time, but it has not cost me any more money that would be expected. I upgraded the TCU, when they first became available, in January 2017. I replaced the original battery (almost 5 years old) in September 2017 with an AGM battery. The need for fuse pulls has greatly decreased since then. When the TCU stops responding, I just do a 30-second fuse pull, and then all is good for another month or two. Yes, it is an inconvenience, but not as much as it would be not having remote access to the car.

Fuse pulls, dead batteries... Nope, I expect it fixed before I spend money for this.
=======================================
"Serenity" 2013 SL 12 bars 39k+ miles and counting
Zencar 32a EVSE

baustin
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 402162

Fri May 11, 2018 4:09 am

MalcolmReynolds wrote:
baustin wrote:Your denying yourself the advantages of a functioning TCU, because of the possibility of a problem. Yes, there are those with TCU issues, but not everyone has been negatively affected. It may cost me a little time, but it has not cost me any more money that would be expected. I upgraded the TCU, when they first became available, in January 2017. I replaced the original battery (almost 5 years old) in September 2017 with an AGM battery. The need for fuse pulls has greatly decreased since then. When the TCU stops responding, I just do a 30-second fuse pull, and then all is good for another month or two. Yes, it is an inconvenience, but not as much as it would be not having remote access to the car.

Fuse pulls, dead batteries... Nope, I expect it fixed before I spend money for this.

That is your choice, and your decision. We all have different levels of inconvenience we are willing to accept to gain the levels of convenience that we desire.

Hopefully, Nissan is working on a fix, but I don't see a speedy resolution, or a major recall, in the near future. The upgraded TCU has been available for almost 18 months, with no positive updates from the field, or from Nissan.
2013 Leaf SV - Cayenne Red - QC Port - LED Headlights

Stanton
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Fri May 11, 2018 5:23 am

I haven't had any problems with the TCU since I deleted my "saved charger locations" many months ago (no fuse pulls/12v issues/nothing). In fact, I just returned from a week-long vacation where I was able to retrieve charge status via the app. As was mentioned, there may be other/different issues with different model years (and battery types), but all relevant info about my Leaf is in my sig.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

Leaf15
Delivery Date: 09 Jun 2018

Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:18 pm

My saga with TCU upgrade on Leaf 2015 SV is over. It was caused by Data Communications settings to be set to manual and no provider selected. Setting it to auto config (AT&T), corrected the connectivity issue. No issues with 12V battery yet, but it seems to be compromised (by deep discharge) as car was parked on dealer lot for months before I got it. TCU works, but complains of poor reception at home. It is a bit embarrassing, but I hope to resolve it with 3G/4G/LTE booster.
Leaf 2015 SV CPO

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”