User avatar
Stanton
Posts: 2042
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:56 am
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458
Location: Plano, TX
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:52 am

lucasgary wrote:Just wondering if anyone has tried to get Telematics working in a 2016 Nissan Leaf originally sold in the USA but now located in Canada.

I was able to get registered on Nissan USA. And when I drove near the border I could sign in.

But I can't roam in Canada, as soon as I get a bit to far from the border I lose service.

I'm assuming it's unrelated to the 2g/3g issues described here as I assume the 2016's have 3g service.


It has everything to do with the registration of the SIM card in the TCU modem and nothing to do with 2G/3G service.
Remember, Nissan provides wireless access for "free", so they determine how/where they will pay for coverage...and in NA that means you can't cross borders from where the car was purchased (and SIM registered). I'm sure there are some old threads on this topic if you search the forum.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

baustin
Posts: 614
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:23 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 402162
Location: North Las Vegas, NV

Re: NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:38 pm

The 2G USA units allowed roaming, and would work in Canada, but that incurred the international data charge. I believe that Nissan took advantage of the 2G/3G update situation to disable international roaming, since they are paying for it and international data use is much more expensive.
2013 Leaf SV - Cayenne Red - QC Port - LED Headlights

Leafboy
Posts: 172
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:46 pm
Delivery Date: 12 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 5721
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:14 pm

Stanton,
Can you direct me to the information in your signature: "Low power heater mod"?
Lew George
2011 Leaf SL-e
Cayenne Red
Longest continously owned Leaf in Georgia.
LED Upgrades: Parking lights, tag lights, back-up lights, side lights, interior lights,DRLs,LED Hi-beam.
Additional upgrades: Horn upgrade, pedestrian warning bell.

lucasgary
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:18 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Dec 2017
Leaf Number: 301278

Re: NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:25 pm

Stanton wrote:
lucasgary wrote:Just wondering if anyone has tried to get Telematics working in a 2016 Nissan Leaf originally sold in the USA but now located in Canada.

I was able to get registered on Nissan USA. And when I drove near the border I could sign in.

But I can't roam in Canada, as soon as I get a bit to far from the border I lose service.

I'm assuming it's unrelated to the 2g/3g issues described here as I assume the 2016's have 3g service.


It has everything to do with the registration of the SIM card in the TCU modem and nothing to do with 2G/3G service.
Remember, Nissan provides wireless access for "free", so they determine how/where they will pay for coverage...and in NA that means you can't cross borders from where the car was purchased (and SIM registered). I'm sure there are some old threads on this topic if you search the forum.


Do you have any additional information? There may be other, older threads but if there are I can't find them.

Is it well known that roaming is dead for everyone everywhere?

I guess I'll drop in on my local dealer and see what they say.

Thanks!

cwerdna
Posts: 7777
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:01 pm

^^^
There's no way Nissan would want to pay for international roaming. When I roamed to Canada from the US on AT&T in 2010, I received an automated SMS telling me voice was 79 cents/minute and data was $15.36/megabyte (!). I found https://www.att.com/travelguide/coverag ... 4&MNC=CING, which makes not as bad, but still.

I turned off roaming and/or put my phone in airplane mode at that point.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

2k1Toaster
Posts: 443
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:45 pm
Delivery Date: 12 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 420903

Re: NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:07 pm

cwerdna wrote:^^^
There's no way Nissan would want to pay for international roaming. When I roamed to Canada from the US on AT&T in 2010, I received an automated SMS telling me voice was 79 cents/minute and data was $15.36/megabyte (!). I found https://www.att.com/travelguide/coverag ... 4&MNC=CING, which makes not as bad, but still.

I turned off roaming and/or put my phone in airplane mode at that point.


The leaf uses almost no data comparably. With AT&T, international data is about $40USD/mo for 200MB which is more than enough. But that's not how these deals work. Generally the companies negotiate a huge contract to blanket coverage, they aren't paying per vehicle. Also nowadays, roaming is so cheap because it is already negotiated between all the companies. If you were to divide it down per car, I bet it is in the couple of dollars per year range per vehicle.
2013 Nissan Leaf SV with every option
2013 Prius C Package 4
2012 Lexus RX450h
2006 Prius Gen II, pIV
2005 Honda Civic Hybrid
2001 Honda Civic EX
1997 Honda Prelude SH
1981 DeLorean DMC12
and more...

lucasgary
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:18 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Dec 2017
Leaf Number: 301278

Re: NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:24 pm

My understanding is that it's SMS messages.

So not even 'data' per se.

I came across the SMS protocol / serialization they use and it's pretty minimal.

I can't imagine it's costing Nissan much of anything.

2k1Toaster
Posts: 443
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:45 pm
Delivery Date: 12 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 420903

Re: NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:51 pm

Also it is possible to piggy-back cell connections. You can get a local cell connection (like Bell or something) connected to a cell repeater than broadcasts as a TMobile tower. The Leaf will connect to your fake tower and then relay everything over the network through the Bell connection.

Also a great way to spy on people with cell phones... All the phones query and try to connect to your fake tower giving you their IMEI's and basic location for free.
2013 Nissan Leaf SV with every option
2013 Prius C Package 4
2012 Lexus RX450h
2006 Prius Gen II, pIV
2005 Honda Civic Hybrid
2001 Honda Civic EX
1997 Honda Prelude SH
1981 DeLorean DMC12
and more...

User avatar
Stanton
Posts: 2042
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:56 am
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458
Location: Plano, TX
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:14 am

lucasgary wrote:My understanding is that it's SMS messages.

So not even 'data' per se.

I came across the SMS protocol / serialization they use and it's pretty minimal.

I can't imagine it's costing Nissan much of anything.


Don't take this personally, but this kind of mindset just kills me.
For the record, the telematics function uses both SMS and data, but the data usage is minimal.
What I don't get is: Nissan is giving us a free service (airtime/servers/back-office/etc) for thousands and thousands of cars...and people think "it's no big deal". The fact is, the telematics service has been (and will continue to be--lucky for us) a "loss leader" for the technology...and minimalizing Nissan's contribution is short-sighted. If they charged for the service (as we originally though they would after the initial 3 year period), then things might be different...but they don't .
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

User avatar
Stanton
Posts: 2042
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:56 am
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458
Location: Plano, TX
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:18 am

Leafboy wrote:Stanton,
Can you direct me to the information in your signature: "Low power heater mod"?


The thread (with ordering instructions) is here http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=20446
IMO, this is the most cost-effective (and essential) mod for extending range on 2011-2012 Leafs.
In my climate, I pretty much leave it in "heat off" mode most of the year.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”