JRoque
Delivery Date: 29 Jun 2015
Leaf Number: 406755

Re: NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:30 pm

Hi.

Speaking for myself: there's no fix from Nissan. I had to disable all forms of telematics connections in the car to stop my 12V battery from draining dead. I've had about 6 of these dead 12v battery incidents since the "upgrade" in Feb.

Apart from the aggravation of a dead battery just as you need to head out, I'm out $200 that Nissan charged me for a new TCU, $100 for a new 12V battery and $50 for a portable battery jumper unit that I now need to carry around.

With the new Nissan Leaf model coming up shortly, I'm not sure how many would consider it or carry any brand loyalty after this fiasco. I'm frankly losing my patience and wouldn't mind it if we all banded together here, hired a lawyer and served Nissan a notice to this crap fixed already.

JR

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:15 pm

MalcolmReynolds wrote:Have we seen any progress yet on these TCU upgrades? Have they issued any fixes? Upgraded any hardware? Or should I continue to wait on doing the upgrade? I been holding off based on the input here. The dealer tells me "oh, we have done a lot of TCU upgrades and have not heard of a single problem". So for some reason they are pushing hard for me to get this upgrade done.

I've been hoping for something since viewtopic.php?f=30&t=12448&p=497352&hilit=singapore+engineers#p497352.

AFAIK, there have been no fixes in terms of firmware, software nor hardware. Since Nissan hasn't been known to do OTA updates of firmware before, not sure they'd start with the 3G TCU. I've been checking http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledg ... ?catid=783 and http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledg ... ?catid=783 for updated TSBs or service campaigns but seen nothing new. Then again, NissanHelp is sometimes behind.

That said, I eliminated by ! yellow car and DTC P3131 prob via viewtopic.php?p=499192#p499192. I've had none of that anymore to this day. I posted viewtopic.php?p=501812#p501812 and maybe a week ago, I turned on data transmission to Nissan, auto-saving charging station locations, send unplugged messages and pretty much everything I could find re: auto-saving charging locations. So far, no yellow ! and P3131, yet.

Perhaps there's a bug with locations saved w/the old 2G TCU installed causing probs w/the 3G TCU? I cleared all the old ones out before re-enabling... Let's see if this holds. I was hoping to have the DTC trigger so that I can have the dealer make a note of it when I take it in for the overdue annual "required" battery check cough cough... useless to the customer printout.

I haven't had any dead 12 volt conditions but then again, if there are big drain, it may be masked by my preventative (hoping to make my 12 volt last longer) about weekly charges I make using my Tecmate Optimate 4 12 volt charger.

JRoque: If you don't have a 12 volt charger already, I suggest you charge it up say once every week or two, just to help maintain the 12 volt due to the crappy charging algorithm and help prevent dead 12 volt cases. I have an older version of https://tecmate.com/products/optimate4dp/.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

lorenfb
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635

Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:25 am

cwerdna wrote:AFAIK, there have been no fixes in terms of firmware, software nor hardware. Since Nissan hasn't been known to do OTA updates of firmware before, not sure they'd start with the 3G TCU.

Nissan's supplier of the 3G TCU may not have designed that ECU to be re-flashed whether in-house or in the field.

Furthermore, the TCU could be keeping a CAN bus 'alive' causing other system ECUs from entering their sleep mode,
resulting in additional current drain besides the TCU's.

Leafboy
Delivery Date: 12 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 5721

Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:44 am

dsh wrote:For the past two weeks Can't use Nissan EV_zero emission app, shows 0 miles range And gives error message 'no communications with vehicle could be established..." Owner Portal website not getting communications either. Opened Case with EV_Customer Service. Had TCU replaced in December, had to go back to dealer 2x but all was working fine 2 weeks ago, but all of a sudden everything stopped connecting. Tech Department at EV_Customer Service has no clue, which is hard to believe because these problems have been occurring for many many many other owners over the last 6 months to a year. Incredible Customer Service, Nissan. NOT!!!

* ****Update pulled fuse number 34, 20 amp by the battery waited two minutes reinserted it, checked my app and everything works fine. This is so ridiculous.

Same is happening with my car. 2011 replaced TCU in December (12/19/16) and all worked well until recently. Nissan CS worked on the issue for weeks and letting me know it was bumped up to the next level for a few weeks in a row. Finally said I needed to take it to the dealer for diagnosis. Took it to the dealer and they just re-signed into Nissan Telematics and said it was repaired. Still didn't work! Dealer has no idea what else to do! Have now re-contacted Nissan CS and they are re-opening my case as it was closed when I was told to take it to the dealer! Say what!?
Lew George
2011 Leaf SL-e
Cayenne Red
Longest continously owned Leaf in Georgia.
LED Upgrades: Parking lights, tag lights, back-up lights, side lights, interior lights,DRLs,LED Hi-beam.
Additional upgrades: Horn upgrade, pedestrian warning bell.

Stanton
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:08 am

Leafboy wrote:Same is happening with my car. 2011 replaced TCU in December (12/19/16) and all worked well until recently. Nissan CS worked on the issue for weeks and letting me know it was bumped up to the next level for a few weeks in a row. Finally said I needed to take it to the dealer for diagnosis. Took it to the dealer and they just re-signed into Nissan Telematics and said it was repaired. Still didn't work! Dealer has no idea what else to do! Have now re-contacted Nissan CS and they are re-opening my case as it was closed when I was told to take it to the dealer! Say what!?

Which part of @dsh comment "****Update pulled fuse number 34, 20 amp by the battery waited two minutes reinserted it, checked my app and everything works fine." do you not understand?

I had to do a fuse pull just last week. Until Nissan comes up with a permanent "fix" for what is obviously a flawed design, this is the best we have; at least it doesn't require any special tools and it doesn't happen every week.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

Leafboy

Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:46 am

Should the car be off or on when this is done?
Lew George
2011 Leaf SL-e
Cayenne Red
LED Upgrades: Parking lights, tag lights, back-up lights, side lights, interior lights,DRLs,LED Hi-beam.

Stanton
Forum Supporter

Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:00 pm

Leafboy wrote:Should the car be off or on when this is done?

OFF.
You only need to wait a few seconds before replacing the fuse (not a couple of minutes)...and you may hear a relay "click" (which is a good sign). You should be able to talk to the car via web/app almost immediately thereafter.
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade

Leafboy

Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:14 pm

Tried it. Didn't work! :(
Lew George
2011 Leaf SL-e
Cayenne Red

Stanton
Forum Supporter

Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:44 am

Leafboy wrote:Tried it. Didn't work! :(

This of course assumes the service tech didn't "disconnect" your service on your last trip to the dealer.
I would give the fuse pull another try, but I just pinged my Leaf so I know the network is working (at least today).
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade

Leafboy

Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:30 pm

Stanton wrote:
Leafboy wrote:Tried it. Didn't work! :(

This of course assumes the service tech didn't "disconnect" your service on your last trip to the dealer.
I would give the fuse pull another try, but I just pinged my Leaf so I know the network is working (at least today).

I didn't pull the fuse again, but I tried it the next day and it communicated for the first time since May! I did drive it after I pulled the fuse and it sat overnight. Maybe it needed a reboot before the fuse pull trick works. We will see if it continues to work.
Curious.........how was this procedure figured out???
Lew George
2011 Leaf SL-e
Cayenne Red

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”