Wingnuts
Delivery Date: 0- 6-2013
Leaf Number: 412988

Re: NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:58 am

OakLeaf wrote:Would like to regain the remote climate control ability in our 2012 SL, but since seeing the troubles folks are having after the TCU replacement, I'm a bit hesitant to do so.

I would not consider it a good trade to regain the remote features at the expense of a random dead 12v battery and the need to do fuse pulls and resets.

To summarize what I've read so far in this thread:

* It's an unlucky few who have this problem - the majority that have the TCU replaced have no issues.

* The cause of this problem is that the new TCU remains on and does not return to the standby state, thereby draining the 12V battery.

* The TCU gets stuck on for a variety of possible reasons, but there is no complete consensus yet.

* The problem exists in both the earlier 11/12 model years as well as the 13/14/15 model years.

* Those that have issues have a variety of work-arounds, but there is no solution forthcoming from Nissan.

Please correct me if I'm missing something here...

Thanks!

Oak, I am in the same dilemma. Bought my 13sv last July without the upgrade and would love to try the remote functions. I use the timers for getting to and from work. I checked this thread for issues and now am of the attitude "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I would like to see what the percentages are that have no issues to that of even minor issues (like fuse pulls), before I pull the trigger. My son is bugging me to get this done too.
No word on 4G upgrades yet?

Jedlacks
Delivery Date: 10 Mar 2018
Leaf Number: 303628

Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:19 am

My 2 cents.

I have a '15 SV, and I had the TCU replaced some time ago. I would be pissed if I had to pay, because it works for 3 weeks out of every month... on average. Nevertheless, it is not a huge inconvenience for me, because I have the timers all set. There are times I will like to preheat while it is plugged in, or before I leave the office, but I have grown to accept it.

The original 12v battery has not been replaced, but once a week I plug it into a desulfator, so I may not have a dead battery in the near future.
2018 SV
Deep Blue Pearl

cmwade77
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2017

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:11 am

I bought my car used and it also did not have the TCU upgrade, so from what I am reading here, it sounds like it wouldn't be worth upgrading, is that correct?

I really don't want to have to mess with pulling fuses, etc. I had a car where I had to do that in the past and I don't want that again.

Stanton
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:38 pm

cwerdna wrote:Now, to mitigate these issues, I deleted all my saved charging locations and shut off a bunch of things relating to Carwings on the car side.

I think you are on to something: I haven't had to do a fuse pull since I deleted my saved charging locations (like my house) and defeated the ability to save new ones. In addition, I haven't had the "yellow ! car" with DTC P3131 (which clears itself after a power cycle anyway).
I'm beginning to think that the TCU goes into "runaway" mode when it's trying to figure out if you've parked by one of your "saved" locations...and whether it needs to send the corresponding reminder (with me it was an email). So basically, I've given up that one function to keep things like "charge stopped/complete" messages (I live for those!) and all the background CW/NissanConnectEV updates (like driving history).
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:27 am

Stanton wrote:
cwerdna wrote:Now, to mitigate these issues, I deleted all my saved charging locations and shut off a bunch of things relating to Carwings on the car side.

I think you are on to something: I haven't had to do a fuse pull since I deleted my saved charging locations (like my house) and defeated the ability to save new ones. In addition, I haven't had the "yellow ! car" with DTC P3131 (which clears itself after a power cycle anyway).
I'm beginning to think that the TCU goes into "runaway" mode when it's trying to figure out if you've parked by one of your "saved" locations...and whether it needs to send the corresponding reminder (with me it was an email). So basically, I've given up that one function to keep things like "charge stopped/complete" messages (I live for those!) and all the background CW/NissanConnectEV updates (like driving history).

Yep. I agree on your hypothesis.

I think that last time I've received a DTC P3131 was around mid-Oct 2017 (viewtopic.php?p=508093#p508093). I definitely have had to pull the fuse at least once to get the TCU out of it stuck state between that date and today.

If in fact the 3G TCU was developed by Nissan or a vendor in Signapore, but they probably didn't dogfood it properly/at all there. Leaf isn't even listed at https://www.nissan.com.sg/vehicles/new.html. I talked to a former roommate from Singapore when I was there a few months ago and he said Tesla's not there yet. He said you have to jump thru many hoops just bring one in. So, I suspect there's little charging infrastructure there. I also noticed 0 EVs during the few days I was there.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

radarguy
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2018
Leaf Number: 302641

Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:16 am

I'm an new Leaf owner. Mine is a used 2017 model w/ 30 KWh battery pack. When I tried to use Nissan Connect I found out that the TCU was not "on." I am heading into the dealer this morning (1/17/18) to have it activated.

I read a lot of the posts in this thread (but not all of them :) ). Are there any current issues with the TCU on 2017 models that might warrant NOT turning on the TCU? Does the 2017 TCU still have the 'fuse pull' issue?

Sorry if this has been covered before; I'm still learning so much about the Leaf.

Thanks,

Kevin

lpickup
Delivery Date: 23 Dec 2016
Leaf Number: 312310

Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:20 am

radarguy wrote:I'm an new Leaf owner. Mine is a used 2017 model w/ 30 KWh battery pack. When I tried to use Nissan Connect I found out that the TCU was not "on." I am heading into the dealer this morning (1/17/18) to have it activated.

I read a lot of the posts in this thread (but not all of them :) ). Are there any current issues with the TCU on 2017 models that might warrant NOT turning on the TCU? Does the 2017 TCU still have the 'fuse pull' issue?

No, you are safe. This issue only applies to LEAFs up to MY2015. 2016 and beyond already had 3G support built in (and apparently working fine, which makes it even more frustrating that they can't get it right in the older cars).
...Lance

Coulis Red 2016 SV (312310)
Delivered: 12/23/16
Glacier Pearl 2012 SL (016138)
Delivered: 12/9/11; traded in 12/23/16
NOGA$4ME Blog

radarguy
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2018
Leaf Number: 302641

Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:59 am

Lance,

Thanks for the info on the TCU for MY2017 Leafs. I'm off to the dealer to get it turned on.

Kevin

briscobully
Delivery Date: 27 Apr 2018

Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:50 am

Newbie here, I'm looking at 2015 leafs to purchase and wanted to know, as I can't seem to find a thread, if there is a charge (one time or monthly) to use the NissanConnect program? It seemed as though there was a charge unless you purchase or lease a new Leaf. Could anyone help me with that? Lots of great info and lots of helpful people on this forum. :)

SalisburySam
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 24 Feb 2012
Leaf Number: 018156

Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:15 pm

briscobully:

To date, Nissan has repeatedly mentioned (threatened?) but never started requiring payments for either Carwings or its replacement NissanConnect. Given the instability of the products, it would be tough to get people to pay for it. Also, similar products for other cars are not charged for, such as "Entune" for Toyota vehicles. GM's "OnStar" is a paid service but it is more of a concierge service than one that provides data based solely upon recorded telematics in the vehicle.

In the beginning of my LEAF ownership in 2012, I used Carwings and religiously went over every table, report, diagram, and suggestion it offered. Now, six years later, I use NissanConnect solely for turning on the pre-heat/pre-cool functions. Sadly, I have success about 6 out of 10 tries, mostly due to weak AT&T cell coverage in our area.
SalisburySam
-------------

2012 SL Super Black
Registered to order: April 20, 2010
Ordered: December 6, 2011
11,900 miles, 10 bars showing, 75% SOH, 49.80 Ahr

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”