lorenfb
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635

Re: NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:39 am

OakLeaf wrote:Would like to regain the remote climate control ability in our 2012 SL, but since seeing the troubles folks are having after the TCU replacement, I'm a bit hesitant to do so.

I would not consider it a good trade to regain the remote features at the expense of a random dead 12v battery and the need to do fuse pulls and resets.

To summarize what I've read so far in this thread:

* It's an unlucky few who have this problem - the majority that have the TCU replaced have no issues.

* The cause of this problem is that the new TCU remains on and does not return to the standby state, thereby draining the 12V battery.

* The TCU gets stuck on for a variety of possible reasons, but there is no complete consensus yet.

* The problem exists in both the earlier 11/12 model years as well as the 13/14/15 model years.

* Those that have issues have a variety of work-arounds, but there is no solution forthcoming from Nissan.

Please correct me if I'm missing something here...

Thanks!

It's an unlucky few who have this problem - the majority that have the TCU replaced have no issues.

No, it depends on how the TCU is used. In my case, I only use it to update charging stations and have not had any problems
in about a year.
Leaf SL MY 9/13: 66K miles, 50 Ahrs, 5.2 miles/kWh (average), Hx=70, SOH=78, L2 charges to 100% > 1000, max battery temp < 95F (35C), min discharge point > 20 Ahrs

baustin
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 402162

Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:10 am

OakLeaf wrote:Would like to regain the remote climate control ability in our 2012 SL, but since seeing the troubles folks are having after the TCU replacement, I'm a bit hesitant to do so.

I would not consider it a good trade to regain the remote features at the expense of a random dead 12v battery and the need to do fuse pulls and resets.

Please correct me if I'm missing something here...

It's quite simple, if you want to regain remote access, have the TCU upgrade done. You may have to occasionally pull and re-insert the 20amp Audio fuse to reset the TCU. Some people are affected by this issue, some people are not. If you have a 12v battery in good condition, the fuse pulls should be minimal. If you want the remote capability, that is what you have to put up with, for now.
2013 Leaf SV - Cayenne Red - QC Port - LED Headlights

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:01 am

lorenfb wrote:No, it depends on how the TCU is used. In my case, I only use it to update charging stations and have not had any problems
in about a year.

I use the TCU a lot, and have needed to fuse pull about once every three months.

I use remote climate control, Leaf Manager does an auto update of charge level at every stop, I use Google "send to car" once a week or so...

OakLeaf wrote:* The TCU gets stuck on for a variety of possible reasons, but there is no complete consensus yet.

I'm not sure if the use rate and the TCU lockup rate are all that related. The one item that might be in common for my TCU lockups is using in a weak signal location. There is one place I go to roughly a once a month with a very weak signal in the parking lot. At least two of the lockups were right after going there.

There are several different TCU lockups. I've had mostly "remote access doesn't work, but updating charging stations does work". I've also had one "nothing works" and one "remote access works, but updating charging stations doesn't work". Other people have reported DTC codes and such what, I've not seen these. Yet.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

OakLeaf
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2012

Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:37 pm

Many thanks to everyone for their advice and input, it's greatly appreciated!

Was also wondering what the reliability and responsiveness of the current CarWings/NissanConnect EV app is? Generally better or worse than when running under 2G?
2012 Leaf SL - 61K miles since 11/2012 - No P3227 Update - 8 Bars / 42.8AHr / SOH 65% / Hx 57%

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:06 pm

Generally better or worse than when running under 2G?

Heh.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:37 pm

OakLeaf wrote:Was also wondering what the reliability and responsiveness of the current CarWings/NissanConnect EV app is? Generally better or worse than when running under 2G?

With the old 2G TCU, about the only times where it the app wouldn't be able to get a response from the car is if there was no AT&T coverage (e.g. in bottom level of underground parking of the building I used to work in). It wouldn't have this weird wonkiness where it would stop responding and require a fuse pull. Also w/the old 2G TCU, I never hit the yellow ! car with DTC P3131 (e.g. viewtopic.php?p=508093#p508093). And, there were no problems w/saved charging locations and it sending me plug-in reminder for those.

Now, to mitigate these issues, I deleted all my saved charging locations and shut off a bunch of things relating to Carwings on the car side. And, I sometimes have to pull the fuse in order to get the 3G TCU out of the bad, non-responsive state.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

baustin

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:26 am

OakLeaf wrote:Many thanks to everyone for their advice and input, it's greatly appreciated!

Was also wondering what the reliability and responsiveness of the current CarWings/NissanConnect EV app is? Generally better or worse than when running under 2G?

There are some differences in the way it functions, but, for me, responsiveness is the same. Reliability is similar, but is dependent on how well the AT&T coverage is in the area. The 3G TCU is more sensitive to the voltage level of the 12v battery, and will occasionally stop working and need the Audio fuse pulled and replaced in order to reboot it. There are changes in some of the messages. For example, I have a charge timer that starts every morning at 2:10am. With the 2G TCU, I would get a Charging Stopped message every time it activated and was done, even if it did not do any charging. With the 3G TCU, I only get a message if the traction battery level was below the set point and some charging was actually done.

JRoque
Delivery Date: 29 Jun 2015
Leaf Number: 406755

Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:08 pm

Hi.

After disabling all regular updates, not sharing data, declining data transfer, etc from within the car, the TCU lock up goes away. Even in that state you can still use the remote climate control feature. I've done this for >6 months without a drained battery or other issues. In that state, I can't tell the car to start charging or get a battery charge status back.

Meanwhile, next month it will be 1 full year since I paid Nissan $200 for the privilege of having them remove features from the car or else cause it to drain the 12V battery. Many here seem happy having to pull fuses or buying new 12V batteries instead of joining voices and taking the fight to Nissan. I'm willing to pitch in and hire a lawyer to represent us.

Regards,
JR

baustin

Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:04 pm

JRoque wrote:Hi.

After disabling all regular updates, not sharing data, declining data transfer, etc from within the car, the TCU lock up goes away. Even in that state you can still use the remote climate control feature. I've done this for >6 months without a drained battery or other issues. In that state, I can't tell the car to start charging or get a battery charge status back.

Meanwhile, next month it will be 1 full year since I paid Nissan $200 for the privilege of having them remove features from the car or else cause it to drain the 12V battery. Many here seem happy having to pull fuses or buying new 12V batteries instead of joining voices and taking the fight to Nissan. I'm willing to pitch in and hire a lawyer to represent us.

Regards,
JR

I would like to know what features Nissan removed from your car with the TCU upgrade. I paid for the TCU upgrade a year ago, and have full access to the features offered. I have not had any issues with a drained 12v battery. I did have to do a fuse pull about every three weeks, until I replaced the original (over 4.5 year old) 12v battery with a new one. Since then, I have had to do a fuse pull one time.

12v batteries do not last forever, and have to be replaced regularly, especially in warmer climates. No one is happy about having to replace them, or do fuse pulls to reboot the TCU. It is just an accepted fact of life that we have to live with, for now. In my view, it is a small price to pay for the remote access features, and associated AT&T Cellular Service, that we are receiving, at no additional cost.

Nissan is aware of the problem with the TCU. They may develop a fix for it, and they may not. At present, I have no interest in paying a lawyer to fight Nissan over this issue. The results could be a complete shutdown of the service, or a monthly fee to use it. I'm willing to wait a little longer to see if Nissan provides a solution.

Stanton
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:25 am

baustin wrote:Nissan is aware of the problem with the TCU. They may develop a fix for it, and they may not. At present, I have no interest in paying a lawyer to fight Nissan over this issue. The results could be a complete shutdown of the service, or a monthly fee to use it. I'm willing to wait a little longer to see if Nissan provides a solution.

My thoughts exactly: this would be the "end" of CarWings/NissanConnect, which I do not see as a good thing.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”