GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Re: NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:23 pm

I missed my plug in reminder email Friday night and saw the EV System warning indicator when I started the car yesterday. The indicator did not clear after cycling power to the car so I checked DTCs and found the usual EV System Incomplete Shutdown along with a few others related to CAN Bus communication. There was also a code related to the TCU antenna. I had the TCU upgrade done last December and have needed to reset the TCU a total of 5 or 6 times both before and after replacing the 12-volt battery. In all cases, the EV System warning light came on when starting the car after failing to receive a message the car should have sent (such as plug in reminder or charge complete notifications). I now believe the EV System Incomplete Shutdown and other DTCs occur after the TCU is unable to send its text message through ATT (regardless of the status of Nissan's servers). There would have been more incidents if it were related to Nissan's servers and only 1 or 2 incidents if it were due to low auxiliary battery voltage.

I pulled the 20-ampere fuse yesterday to reset the TCU, accepted data transmission in the CarWings menus, and it has been transmitting messages normally. It also updates charging stations and responds to remote status update requests quickly.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

lorenfb
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635

Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:14 pm

GerryAZ wrote:I now believe the EV System Incomplete Shutdown and other DTCs occur after the TCU is unable to send its text message through ATT (regardless of the status of Nissan's servers).

Can't believe many continue to use the TCU knowing that it will potentially "hang" resulting in a 12V battery problem & fault codes.
62K miles, 49 Ahrs, 5.1 miles/kWh (average), L2 charges to 100% > 1000, max battery temp < 100F, min discharge > 15 Ahrs

baustin
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 402162

Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:06 am

lorenfb wrote:
GerryAZ wrote:I now believe the EV System Incomplete Shutdown and other DTCs occur after the TCU is unable to send its text message through ATT (regardless of the status of Nissan's servers).

Can't believe many continue to use the TCU knowing that it will potentially "hang" resulting in a 12V battery problem & fault codes.

I've only had to reset my TCU one time in the last three months since replacing the 12v battery. I had to reset it at least once a month since install last January, before replacing the original 12v battery. I have never had any of the problems mentioned by others, like a dead battery, DTC's, or system shutdown issues. I use the remote Climate Control feature quite frequently. I also live in an area where AT&T has good service coverage.
2013 Leaf SV - Cayenne Red - QC Port - LED Headlights

Leafboy
Delivery Date: 12 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 5721

Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:30 am

Pretty much same for me. I use it a lot especially in Winter. Fuse pull lasts about 3 months. I'm in a condo building and quite a ways from the car, so remote control is very handy.
Lew George
2011 Leaf SL-e
Cayenne Red
Longest continously owned Leaf in Georgia.
LED Upgrades: Parking lights, tag lights, back-up lights, side lights, interior lights,DRLs,LED Hi-beam.
Additional upgrades: Horn upgrade, pedestrian warning bell.

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:06 pm

lorenfb wrote:Can't believe many continue to use the TCU knowing that it will potentially "hang" resulting in a 12V battery problem & fault codes.

The very few times (no more than 6 total in the past year) that I have needed to reset the TCU are worth the convenience of using the remote access for climate control and charging status. As noted previously, I now believe my issues are solely related to failure to connect to ATT so I expect to only have occasional problems related to outages of nearby towers. The TCU will not drain the 12-volt battery in my car unless it hangs and creates the incomplete shutdown and other DTCs and the car is parked for extended time. As long as I reset the TCU and clear the DTCs when I first notice them, there is no issue with the 12-volt battery.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

lorenfb
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635

Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:06 pm

GerryAZ wrote:
lorenfb wrote:Can't believe many continue to use the TCU knowing that it will potentially "hang" resulting in a 12V battery problem & fault codes.

As long as I reset the TCU and clear the DTCs when I first notice them, there is no issue with the 12-volt battery.

Then don't forget, and keep a jumper battery in the car. Besides, 12V batteries don't "like" being fully discharged, i.e. they generally
don't fully recover.
62K miles, 49 Ahrs, 5.1 miles/kWh (average), L2 charges to 100% > 1000, max battery temp < 100F, min discharge > 15 Ahrs

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:20 am

My telematics hardware has just locked up again, in a different way. I can do remote climate, status and such what, but can't update charging stations, download destinations and such. I'm getting a B02 error for these.

Sigh. Fuse pull time.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

OakLeaf
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2012

Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:55 am

Would like to regain the remote climate control ability in our 2012 SL, but since seeing the troubles folks are having after the TCU replacement, I'm a bit hesitant to do so.

I would not consider it a good trade to regain the remote features at the expense of a random dead 12v battery and the need to do fuse pulls and resets.

To summarize what I've read so far in this thread:

* It's an unlucky few who have this problem - the majority that have the TCU replaced have no issues.

* The cause of this problem is that the new TCU remains on and does not return to the standby state, thereby draining the 12V battery.

* The TCU gets stuck on for a variety of possible reasons, but there is no complete consensus yet.

* The problem exists in both the earlier 11/12 model years as well as the 13/14/15 model years.

* Those that have issues have a variety of work-arounds, but there is no solution forthcoming from Nissan.

Please correct me if I'm missing something here...

Thanks!
2012 Leaf SL - 57K miles since 11/2012 - No P3227 Update - 9 Bars / 45.8AHr / SOH 69% / Hx 62%

Stanton
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:00 am

OakLeaf wrote:Would like to regain the remote climate control ability in our 2012 SL, but since seeing the troubles folks are having after the TCU replacement, I'm a bit hesitant to do so.
Please correct me if I'm missing something here...

You've "beat the dead horse" pretty well, but what's your question?
If you want to "regain the remote climate control" of your 2012 Leaf--regardless of what other issues you may/may not have--you need to do the TCU upgrade; if you don't, you won't.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

OakLeaf
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2012

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:43 am

Stanton wrote:You've "beat the dead horse" pretty well, but what's your question?

No expired equine abuse intended ... :)

The question is if the above is an accurate summary of the known issues and state of affairs surrounding the 2G TCU replacement.
2012 Leaf SL - 57K miles since 11/2012 - No P3227 Update - 9 Bars / 45.8AHr / SOH 69% / Hx 62%

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”