cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Re: NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

Tue May 02, 2017 10:17 am

VitaminJ wrote:Why would you wait until it's working to disconnect the 12v battery? The idea is to disconnect the 12v to make it start working. In your case it's probably worth it as your unit is working from the car out, but not from outside to the car. Also the EV warning lights your describing is classic weak 12v, which causes the TCU to go into standby.

I already disconnected the 12 volt weeks for ago to see I could get it working. It didn't help. See viewtopic.php?p=491430#p491430.

As for "classic weak 12v" causing the EV warning light, I doubt it. I charge up my 12 volt w/an my Tecmate Optimate 4 every now and then, often every week or two.

I think it's pointless to disconnect the 12 volt at this point when the EV support folks called me yesterday telling me the process is NOT complete on their end yet and to wait until Wednesday.

edit: 12 volt charged on my Optimate 4 overnight last night. Disconnected this 12 volt charger this morning. Received my first "Nissan LEAF update: Charging Stopped" at 1:30 pm Pacific that I've seen since the shutdown and upgrade to 3G TCU. Nissan Connect iOS app status check w/valid GOM values worked at 1:39 pm.

No warning lights after unplugging (still using the 80% midnight to midnight timer trick) but these time, I left my Panlong OBD2 dongle unplugged, for good measure.

Still no phone call from EV support folks.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

VitaminJ
Delivery Date: 07 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 415775

Tue May 02, 2017 2:23 pm

Reading through your post history you said that Nissan support told you it may start working between 4/28 and 5/2...and now it is working (partially). The negative battery pull originated as a way to turn a partially working TCU into a fully working TCU and the culprit is low voltage on the 12v battery, typically overnight as the car sits undriven and the temperature lowers. You may indeed wait for Nissan to call you back instead.

I'm going to again suspect your 12v battery as you use a trickle charger on it, leading me to believe it's gone down on you before.

Lastly, you are talking about what you think is pointless, but what is actually pointless is removing the negative battery terminal from a fully functioning car. I'm not sure why you got that in your head as something you want to do or what it would tell you but from where I am sitting your are going about this whole process backwards. You reported a change in the behavior of your car's TCU, based on that change I offered advice, you denied my advice based on your experience from weeks ago before said change took place.
2013 Ocean Blue SV w/ QC and LED
- +0.2 mi/kwh Aeromods
- Leaf Box
- 2lb 5Ah LiFe 12v battery

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Tue May 02, 2017 6:41 pm

The 12-volt battery was not weak in my case. The incomplete shutdown sequence errors happened when I did not get charge complete notifications and were the apparent cause of the completely drained 12-volt battery. The plug in reminder and charge complete notifications along with remote status updates started working again after the car was jump-started to drive it and allow the 12-volt battery to recharge. The 12-volt battery is still OK after being completely discharged 3 months ago and the telematics unit (and EV Connect) has been functioning correctly ever since that incident. I never used an external 12-volt charger on the 2011 and have not yet used one on the 2015 (50k miles on 2011 and 39k miles so far on 2015).
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Wed May 03, 2017 6:07 pm

OK, I just had the TCU updated and no matter what, I can't get logged in. It says "Connecting to information center" but then says the connection failed. I'll be calling Nissan tomorrow

(If they don't get it working, I'm asking for my $200 back.)
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17)Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Model 3 reservation
(Probably no LEAF2 for me)

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Thu May 04, 2017 10:41 am

I first tried the Nissan EV Support line; they told me to go back to the dealer (who had said "it should just work").

I ended up calling the NissanConnect number, who looked up my portal login and told me there was a typo in my email. I don't know what that was: I had no problem logging into the portal. It was the car connecting to their service that was failing (on the initial sign-in).

I kept trying to sign-in the car while on the phone with her and all of a sudden it started to work. At almost the exact same time, she told me she could find nothing wrong. :?

None-the-less, I'm now able to remotely access the car again. The other interesting thing is that Nissano and LEAF Manager immediately worked, but the Nissan EV app didn't succeed in an update for about an hour. :roll:
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17)Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Model 3 reservation
(Probably no LEAF2 for me)

Stanton
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Tue May 16, 2017 8:20 am

The "fuse pull" (#34 Audio) seems to do the trick every time my car stops "talking" to the server. It would seem as though Nissan could isolate and fix whatever timeout is happening with the new TCU. Until then, I'm just going to execute the "fuse pull" maneuver whenever my "charge complete" messages stop showing up.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

VitaminJ

Tue May 16, 2017 8:58 am

Stanton wrote:The "fuse pull" (#34 Audio) seems to do the trick every time my car stops "talking" to the server. It would seem as though Nissan could isolate and fix whatever timeout is happening with the new TCU. Until then, I'm just going to execute the "fuse pull" maneuver whenever my "charge complete" messages stop showing up.

If you are needing to do the reset every few days or weeks then you need to stop mucking around and replace your 12v battery. With a healthy 12v the TCU will work 100%.
- +0.2 mi/kwh Aeromods
- Leaf Box

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Tue May 16, 2017 10:48 am

VitaminJ wrote:
Stanton wrote:The "fuse pull" (#34 Audio) seems to do the trick every time my car stops "talking" to the server. It would seem as though Nissan could isolate and fix whatever timeout is happening with the new TCU. Until then, I'm just going to execute the "fuse pull" maneuver whenever my "charge complete" messages stop showing up.

If you are needing to do the reset every few days or weeks then you need to stop mucking around and replace your 12v battery. With a healthy 12v the TCU will work 100%.

Sorry, but I'm not convinced that all, most or even many of the problems with the TCU are due to a weak 12V battery.

After getting three TCUs installed, the third one has mostly just worked. The first two never even once worked. Not even a little bit.

One reset, a week after install. None since then.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

VitaminJ

Tue May 16, 2017 11:36 am

WetEV wrote:Sorry, but I'm not convinced that all, most or even many of the problems with the TCU are due to a weak 12V battery.

After getting three TCUs installed, the third one has mostly just worked. The first two never even once worked. Not even a little bit.

One reset, a week after install. None since then.

Hi! Welcome to post # 669 in this thread! Take a look around, there is lots of info to read! Stick around for some discussion!

Fuse pull = fixed? That's the 12v battery, nothing else.
- +0.2 mi/kwh Aeromods
- Leaf Box

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Tue May 16, 2017 11:55 am

VitaminJ wrote:Fuse pull = fixed? That's the 12v battery, nothing else.

Logic reset.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”