Stanton
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Re: NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:27 am

To support @GerryAZ comments...
I never get the EV warning light from TCU time-outs, but as soon as I miss one of the "charging stopped/complete" messages, I pull the fuse.
Since I have a LiFePO4 12v battery, I know it is never "low" (replaced the lead acid almost 4 years ago).
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

lorenfb
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:31 am

GerryAZ wrote:I have some more information to add: I had the EV System timeout and TCU communication errors this morning even though I did not use the EV Connect app to check status or start climate control. I received the EV System warning light when I turned the car on this morning and failed to get the plug-in reminder message after parking at home last night. Since my new AGM battery maintains a higher voltage while parked than the original, I don't think 12-volt battery level is the key issue.

You're saying that the TCU is attempting communications without having a request by the Connect app, right? That's a new one. Did you check
how your TCU is setup, e.g. was it setup to monitor an event, then power-up and attempt communications - resulting in a system error
& then a failure to communicate/power down?

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:13 pm

lorenfb wrote:
GerryAZ wrote:I have some more information to add: I had the EV System timeout and TCU communication errors this morning even though I did not use the EV Connect app to check status or start climate control. I received the EV System warning light when I turned the car on this morning and failed to get the plug-in reminder message after parking at home last night. Since my new AGM battery maintains a higher voltage while parked than the original, I don't think 12-volt battery level is the key issue.

You're saying that the TCU is attempting communications without having a request by the Connect app, right? That's a new one. Did you check
how your TCU is setup, e.g. was it setup to monitor an event, then power-up and attempt communications - resulting in a system error

I have plug in reminders at home, charging stopped, and charge complete notifications all programmed so the TCU will send messages even without remote requests for status update or remote climate control start/stop. I believe the TCU fails to complete its communications with the Nissan servers so it fails to sleep and then keeps other EV system modules active. This combination of events sets several DTCs and will drain the 12-volt battery if the car is parked for too long.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

lorenfb

Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:43 am

GerryAZ wrote:
lorenfb wrote:

I have plug in reminders at home, charging stopped, and charge complete notifications all programmed so the TCU will send messages even without remote requests for status update or remote climate control start/stop. I believe the TCU fails to complete its communications with the Nissan servers so it fails to sleep and then keeps other EV system modules active. This combination of events sets several DTCs and will drain the 12-volt battery if the car is parked for too long.

Then that explains it. As I indicated before, any TCU programmed communications with the Nissan servers, i.e. whether via the Connect app or not,
will cause the TCU to 'hang', resulting in an excess current drain on the battery when the vehicle is powered off. Eliminate the "reminders" until there's
a TCU fix, and you'll not have to continue to pull a fuse or potentially damage your 12V battery by excessive discharges.

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:10 pm

I am not giving up the convenience of remote access and reminder messages. I can pull the fuse(s) once in a while and I am not concerned about discharging my new deep cycle battery. I have found that pulling the 20A fuse sometimes is not enough to clear/reset the TCU and I also need to pull the F/S (fail safe) 15A fuse adjacent to the 20A fuse already removed. I had the TCU replaced in December and I have only needed to pull fuse(s) three times so far to keep my remote access functioning. I am trying to help others by reporting about my experiences.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

lorenfb

Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:49 am

GerryAZ wrote:I am not giving up the convenience of remote access and reminder messages. I can pull the fuse(s) once in a while and I am not concerned about discharging my new deep cycle battery. I have found that pulling the 20A fuse sometimes is not enough to clear/reset the TCU and I also need to pull the F/S (fail safe) 15A fuse adjacent to the 20A fuse already removed. I had the TCU replaced in December and I have only needed to pull fuse(s) three times so far to keep my remote access functioning. I am trying to help others by reporting about my experiences.

OK, then others should be aware of potential problems, e.g. dead 12V batteries, when using reminder messages with the updated TCU.

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:25 am

lorenfb wrote:OK, then others should be aware of potential problems, e.g. dead 12V batteries, when using reminder messages with the updated TCU.

As far as I can tell, using the TCU doesn't greatly change the rate at which it fails.

I've had 3 fuse pulls. The first one I was not using any sort of daily TCU activity, perhaps once a week, and the TCU failed after less than two months. As having the TCU locking up seems hard on the 12V battery, I switched to using the "update after each trip" feature of Leaf Manager. Two fuse pulls in the next 7 months. Sure, not enough data. But if there is a relationship between activity and lockups, it is weak.

Sure, I do wish Nissan would fix this. But I still want to use the remote climate control start in winter, and check up on the charging remotely perhaps weekly.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

lorenfb

Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:11 am

WetEV wrote:
lorenfb wrote:OK, then others should be aware of potential problems, e.g. dead 12V batteries, when using reminder messages with the updated TCU.

As far as I can tell, using the TCU doesn't greatly change the rate at which it fails.

I've had 3 fuse pulls. The first one I was not using any sort of daily TCU activity, perhaps once a week, and the TCU failed after less than two months. As having the TCU locking up seems hard on the 12V battery, I switched to using the "update after each trip" feature of Leaf Manager. Two fuse pulls in the next 7 months. Sure, not enough data. But if there is a relationship between activity and lockups, it is weak.

Try not using any TCU functions. I've had NO problems or fuse pulls in over 9 months. The TCU just doesn't become active without any
presetting of modes or use. So what can be said with certainty is that there's a lower probability of the TCU 'hanging' if it's not used.

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:16 pm

lorenfb wrote:
WetEV wrote:Two fuse pulls in the next 7 months. Sure, not enough data. But if there is a relationship between activity and lockups, it is weak.

Try not using any TCU functions. I've had NO problems or fuse pulls in over 9 months. The TCU just doesn't become active without any
presetting of modes or use. So what can be said with certainty is that there's a lower probability of the TCU 'hanging' if it's not used.

If the rate of TCU fails is purely random with time, what are the odds you would have 0 and I would have 3 over the same time period?

As I said, not enough data. Many theories, and I see no convincing evidence. I am not saying you are wrong, just that I'm not convinced.

I've also noticed what looked a TCU hang that cleared without a fuse pull. If you never use the remote features, would you notice this? Maybe you didn't have 0 hangs after all.

Also, the car uses the TCU to update charging stations. How did you stop that?

And what if I really do want to use the remote features of the car?
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

lorenfb

Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:37 pm

WetEV wrote:
lorenfb wrote:
WetEV wrote:Two fuse pulls in the next 7 months. Sure, not enough data. But if there is a relationship between activity and lockups, it is weak.

WetEV wrote:If the rate of TCU fails is purely random with time,

That's your assumption. It's very rare that automotive electronics fail on a random basis, i.e. the failure is correlated to some
external occurrence (water damage, vibration, over-voltage, design error, etc.).

WetEV wrote:As I said, not enough data. Many theories, and I see no convincing evidence. I am not saying you are wrong, just that I'm not convinced.

1. Most who have problems use the Nissan app Connect or reminders, i.e. the TCU waits for an end of transmission
before powering down.
2. It's unlikely that the TCU fully powers-up without a remote request (or a reminder mode to transmit) causing other
ECUs on its CAN to also power-up resulting in a high current drain on the 12V battery. One wouldn't expect the TCU
system design to be that grossly marginal, i.e. a remote request would have to occur in its startup routine as the
TCU constantly monitors its radio in the low power mode.

WetEV wrote:I've also noticed what looked a TCU hang that cleared without a fuse pull. If you never use the remote features, would you notice this? Maybe you didn't have 0 hangs after all.

Right, some remote requests, i.e. various TCU remote requests require different outcomes (different microcode routines), may not
result in TCU hangs.

WetEV wrote:Also, the car uses the TCU to update charging stations. How did you stop that?

Yes, I've used the charging station update without any problems, but again that function has a unique routine when completed
immediately powers down the TCU. Whereas other routines may enter a 'standby' mode waiting for a remote input (from Connect)
to power down.

It's become obvious this doesn't have a simple solution, e.g. OTA update or a dealer re-flash, and may not even be fully understood by Nissan.
It's a problem that the TCU vendor needs to analyze and fully understand to determine a fix. And there may not be fix without replacing
this 3G TCU, which Nissan most likely doesn't care to do at this time.

You're correct that comprehensive data is lacking to draw any definitive conclusions, but some of us have to make some assumptions to
avoid 12V battery problems until the issue is resolved.

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”