jdearm
Delivery Date: 05 Sep 2013
Leaf Number: 406171

Re: NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:50 pm

Does anyone know if there is an easy safe way to disconnect just the TCU from the 12v line? I have a 2013 which seems to have developed dead 12v battery occasional issues sometime after I had the TCU upgrade installed, and I would like to disconnect the power from the TCU to confirm that fixes the issue. Apologies if this answer is posted already.

Regards, JDEARM

JRoque
Delivery Date: 29 Jun 2015
Leaf Number: 406755

Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:00 pm

Hi.

I guess I'll post the same thing every couple of months for those catching up. The issue is with the TCU getting stuck in a loop calling the Carwings backend system.

The solution is simple, yet Draconian: decline all data sharing inside your car, disable all charging station updates, etc. Anything that calls out of the car should be disabled. This will, of course, disable most of what's good about the TCU. You can still use it to send (one way) climate control commands to your car, something I use quite often.

It's been a couple of months since my last 12V battery issue after I did the above. No fuse pulls, battery replacing or funky stuff to do.

Don't like it? Let's sue Nissan so they finally fix it.

JR

Leafboy
Delivery Date: 12 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 5721

Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:30 pm

I have the non-communicating TCU issue since the upgrade and when I learned of the audio fuse pull, I have had to do it twice. I haven't had any accessory battery issues yet though.
I have made numerous calls to Nissan for this issue and they keep moving it up to a higher level(I'm told). I don't know how high it needs to go to get it resolved. The Nissan people I talk to are always polite and apologetic for my problem, but can never offer acknowledgement of a known problem. I have had a few calls back from Nissan basically inquiring if my issue has been solved. Of course I tell them no and relate the temporary audio fuse pull solution. They don't seem to know about that either, but will pass that over to the tech folks.
I have filled out a few surveys about my calls to Nissan and continue to tell them the problem is not solved and about the temp fix. I will continue to do this and maybe they will eventually solve the problem. Seems to me that a software update to reset the TCU once a month could resolve some of these issues.
Lew George
2011 Leaf SL-e
Cayenne Red
Longest continously owned Leaf in Georgia.
LED Upgrades: Parking lights, tag lights, back-up lights, side lights, interior lights,DRLs,LED Hi-beam.
Additional upgrades: Horn upgrade, pedestrian warning bell.

VitaminJ
Delivery Date: 07 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 415775

Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:42 pm

Leafboy wrote:I have the non-communicating TCU issue since the upgrade and when I learned of the audio fuse pull, I have had to do it twice. I haven't had any accessory battery issues yet though.
I have made numerous calls to Nissan for this issue and they keep moving it up to a higher level(I'm told). I don't know how high it needs to go to get it resolved. The Nissan people I talk to are always polite and apologetic for my problem, but can never offer acknowledgement of a known problem. I have had a few calls back from Nissan basically inquiring if my issue has been solved. Of course I tell them no and relate the temporary audio fuse pull solution. They don't seem to know about that either, but will pass that over to the tech folks.
I have filled out a few surveys about my calls to Nissan and continue to tell them the problem is not solved and about the temp fix. I will continue to do this and maybe they will eventually solve the problem. Seems to me that a software update to reset the TCU once a month could resolve some of these issues.

If the fuse pull works and then the problem starts again after a period of time, then your 12v battery is weak and you should replace it.
2013 Ocean Blue SV w/ QC and LED
- +0.2 mi/kwh Aeromods
- 2lb 5Ah LiFe 12v battery

Leafboy
Delivery Date: 12 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 5721

Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:09 pm

Battery is only a year old and checks out fine!
Lew George
2011 Leaf SL-e
Cayenne Red
Longest continously owned Leaf in Georgia.
LED Upgrades: Parking lights, tag lights, back-up lights, side lights, interior lights,DRLs,LED Hi-beam.
Additional upgrades: Horn upgrade, pedestrian warning bell.

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:00 pm

I received the EV System warning light (amber car with exclamation point) with car parked in the driveway and not plugged in a few days ago. Error codes indicated EV system incomplete shutdown and TCU antenna failure. It appears that the TCU failed to connect to the server when it tried to send a plug-in reminder. The voltage of the 12-volt battery was fine and everything returned to normal after I used LEAF Spy to clear the DTCs. I did not pull the fuse(s) or disconnect the battery. I received charge complete notification the next morning and the TCU has been working fine since.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

Stanton
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:19 am

VitaminJ wrote:If the fuse pull works and then the problem starts again after a period of time, then your 12v battery is weak and you should replace it.

Ummm...no.
If the fuse pull works and then the problem starts again after a period of time, then the TCU has "timed out" again.
Dead 12v batteries may be a symptom of TCU issues, but the TCU can "time out" with a perfectly good 12v battery (mine does all the time).
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”