Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Re: Will a leaf work for me? Range in pouring rain?

Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:25 pm

joem wrote:I want to buy a leaf but I'm worried that I'm just outside its range. My commute is 80 miles rt @ 70MPH from zip code 97049 to 97216 for a visual on google. Elevation change of 1,000' via 2 4% hills and wintertime conditions almost always with temperatures in the 40F range and pouring rain- does the leaf kick in the AC pump when the defrosters are turned on? I would simply blow cold air on the window to de-fog. I also have no chance of charging at work :( Most leaf owners tell me zero chance of making it home but I want to check in here before looking at a plug in hybrid.
Thanks guys! Joe

Are you taking US 26? Looks like 55mph.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

branflakes104
Delivery Date: 28 Jun 2015
Leaf Number: 411170

Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:35 pm

cwerdna wrote:
branflakes104 wrote:Flat out unless you plan to charge at work a 24 KW/h LEAF will not work for you.

It is not "KW/h". It is kWh.

https://solarpowerrocks.com/solar-techn ... -hour-kwh/ is an example of an explanation and why (kilo)Watts per hour makes no sense.

My bad... ya'll know what I meant and got the gist.
My LEAF:
2013 Metallic Slate SL
purchased used 2/4/2016

Wife's LEAF:
2015 Glacier White S with QC package
purchased new 6/28/2015

My ICE:
2000 Nissan Frontier XE King Cab

Wife's ICE:
2013 VW Routan SE

joem
Delivery Date: 07 Jul 2016

Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:54 pm

Thanks everyone! I'll stuff a new timing belt into my 40mpg civic for now and check out what is on the horizon for longer range. I already added a 50A outlet in my garage so I'm prepped and ready when things get a tad more mainstream. Yes the highway I travel is posted 55 but if your going slower than 65 your the slowest person on the road- and it would take me forever to get anywhere. I am amazed that EV's are not more common as all my coworkers could easily make do with a EV and if I lived in town I surly would have at least one!
Take care! see you guys as soon as that larger battery comes out 8-)

joem
Delivery Date: 07 Jul 2016

Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:23 pm

all Oregon highways are posted 55 but traffic flows at 65-75

arnis
Delivery Date: 23 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 015896

Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:50 am

It is not doable with 24kWh battery. You need at least 30kWh. You need tires that are specifically good in rain.
Tires with one direction of travel are usually better at this. Thread should be more than 50% to minimize
aquaplaning possibility. Driving up to 60mph in average rainfall is safe. Up to 40mph in rainstorm.

With 30kWh battery you have a 15% buffer in good weather and 5% buffer in awful weather.
That 5% buffer will diminish after 2 years of battery degradation. Reducing speed 2-5mph will resolve everything.

I would recommend to try and rent a 30kWh Leaf for one day in rainy chilly weather. Start with full battery
and return after 10 minutes of waiting (so cabin will cool down).
You have to have at least 5%-8% left in worse than average weather. Then you can consider buying/leasing.
Short range EVs <30kWh -- Medium range: 30-60kWh -- Long range: >60kWh
Charging: Trickle <3kW -- Normal 3-22kW -- Fast 50-100kW -- Supercharging >100kW

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:39 pm

cwerdna wrote:
branflakes104 wrote:Flat out unless you plan to charge at work a 24 KW/h LEAF will not work for you.

https://solarpowerrocks.com/solar-techn ... -hour-kwh/ is an example of an explanation and why (kilo)Watts per hour makes no sense.

You frequent fliers need to stop correcting posters about their scientific notation crap errors. I and everyone who reads this understood what the guy said...

stop being the high school physics teacher and chill out.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:26 pm

powersurge wrote:
cwerdna wrote:

You frequent fliers need to stop correcting posters about their scientific notation crap errors. I and everyone who reads this understood what the guy said...

stop being the high school physics teacher and chill out.

See viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20385&p=457600#p457600, which (funny enough) was a response to you.

If long time EV drivers and/or enthusiasts can't get it right, this will lead to further confusion and propagation of incorrect info. I posted a "street encounter" with this Model S driver of at least 3 years: viewtopic.php?p=460701#p460701 at free public charging which has 8 level 2 30 amp EVSEs.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:01 am

You are obviously a hardcore enthusiast in this area. I think you need to accept that not everyone will be as knowledgeable as you. They also a have right to enjoy making posts on this forum at whatever level of expertise they are at. Some may only be interested in plugging in, and pressing the button, and go...

As in any conversation, the important part is being able to understand each other. Your unsolicited correcting of people on the terms and formulas they use is the equivalent of correcting another person's grammar when you are speaking to someone in person... That would be crude and insensitive.. So consider that you are doing the same thing here, and it may not be welcome, starting with me...

dm33
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:57 am

powersurge wrote:You are obviously a hardcore enthusiast in this area. I think you need to accept that not everyone will be as knowledgeable as you. They also a have right to enjoy making posts on this forum at whatever level of expertise they are at. Some may only be interested in plugging in, and pressing the button, and go...

As in any conversation, the important part is being able to understand each other. Your unsolicited correcting of people on the terms and formulas they use is the equivalent of correcting another person's grammar when you are speaking to someone in person... That would be crude and insensitive.. So consider that you are doing the same thing here, and it may not be welcome, starting with me...

Mixing up kwh and kw or kw/h is fundamental to what you're talking about. It could be considered unfortunate that the terms look similar but what they relate to is enormously different and should be corrected when used incorrectly. No one would let slide equivalent mis-statements of terms related to gasoline vehicles, no reason to think it should be ok here. Very easy to come up with a non-sensical statement which says nothing, or worse can be interpreted incorrectly and cause some serious consequence.

No one would say how many miles per gallon it takes to go to work, or advertise that a car gets 30 gallons fuel efficiency, or that you're going to fill up at a rate of 30 gallons.

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:30 am

powersurge wrote:

+1 :)
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”