Driving from Roseville CA to Truckee CA

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too much range anxiety here and wife not interested in waiting to charge at a level-2. We take our Plug-in Prius when headed up to Tahoe.

Have you made the trip and where do you charge?

It looks like Colfax has a DC fast charger approved and in the planning stages, but not sure when will be built.

I have been dying to drive my 30Kwh 2016 SV from Dublin (East Bay) to Roseville....one weekend, this summer...
There are no Chademo chargers on I5 yet, my only option is to get up on I80...

If the state govt. manages to install a Chademo charger every 40-50 miles, I think, the 100 mile range EVs can do long trips....

I would be cautious trying Roseville to Truckee...I think, past Loomis, there are no fast chargers...

Let us know, if you manage the adventure..

Colfax has been a go with EVgo CHAdeMO up and running for a while. Dutch Flat and Nyack now have EVgo CHAdeMO chargers too, just waiting to be activated.

According to EV trip planner, Roseville to Truckee isn't viable

Here are the details, based on default settings and the "Nissan LEAF (Beta)" profile:
Distance 83.9 miles
Driving Time 1:27
Charging Time 0:00
Total Trip Time 1:27
Total Energy Used 29.0 kWh
118 RM
Average Efficiency 346 Wh/mile
Net Elevation Change 5655 feet

So, even a 30kWh pack would be really dicey

Agree, not viable in one shot.

But when the original post went up there were only a few L2 stations along the way.

Since then CHAdeMO in Colfax has been up and running so Roseville to Colfax:

Distance 32.9 miles
Driving Time 0:36
Total Trip Time 0:36
Total Energy Used 11.2 kWh
46 RM
Average Efficiency 341 Wh/mile
Net Elevation Change 2263 feet

Then Colfax to Truckee:

Distance 52.1 miles
Driving Time 0:57
Total Trip Time 0:57
Total Energy Used 18.5 kWh
76 RM
Average Efficiency 355 Wh/mile
Net Elevation Change 3392 feet

It's doable with the Colfax stop. Dutch Flat and Nyack CHAdeMO coming online will just add a nicer buffer.

Back