A discovery

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregn

I recently had to make a spontaneous trip when my Leaf had a low charge. 35 mile trip and needed to travel pretty quick to make it at the time I needed to be there. The car was at 20%.
I needed to know just how much time I had to spend on the local QC to get where I needed to be. I used the driving range display on the Leaf. The outer circle shows range as read by the GOM. The inner circle shows less and is called Normal. I had used this once before on a long trip for the same purpose and it worked out well. This time I was planning on a 70 mph travel speed. Once my destination was inside the white circle I gave it 10 more miles as a buffer and headed out. I arrived with 6 miles on the GOM. I know there was a charger where I was going so that was fine. I made it on time.
The point. I think this display can work in a pinch if you don't have LeafSpy or want to do the math to figure it out. It's visual and easy. As I was pushing the car fast and it still worked I think it could be reasonable to use it for average speeds. It is still based on the crazy math the GOM uses i think but it seems to pan out that if your destination is inside the white circle you can reach it.
Anyway thought I would share that.

I'll give this a nudge only out of curiosity.
I know using leaf spy you can get all the range info you need. Very accurate as well.
This post was more for folks that don' want to bother with that. For years we have driven cars that you just fill and go. Most of the world is used to that. With EVs we have to plan more cause the charging options are fewer right? I'm thinking of those folks that are skeptical of EVs. They don't want to buy a bluetooth adapter or deal with an app on their phone. they just want to get in and drive. So if they know they can go to a charger for x amount of time and feel confident that will get where they are going they might be more likely to purchase an EV. Knowledge is king but convenience is queen for some. That what prompted my post.
I'm wondering if anyone here has used that tool in the car for a quick plan of range.
Thanks for your time.

I'll bite. More often than not I've found myself annoyed by that range map, as the button for it is just below the energy usage button, and it's easy to hit the range map button unintentionally instead. The other thing is I live in an area with mountains on one side, and water on the other (with ferry service to the islands and peninsula). So, the mountains are not taken into consideration on the range map, and it also assumes I would be driving across the water instead of riding a ferry. The BMW i3 that I test-drove for a few days had a much more accurate range map taking into considering both ferry routes and mountains... rather than a simple range-radius, it showed a complex polygon of where I could travel.

However, I think you have a great idea there, that for average driving in non-mountainous areas, the inner circle of the range map would be a useful confidence builder. I hadn't thought of using it while QC'ing. Agree that knowledge may be king, but convenience is queen. A lot can be said for just-drive-it. We used to advise people to do just that with the early hybrids... it's fun to geek out, but they cars are meant to be simple enough for anyone to enjoy.

Back