25% batt capacity loss, 50% loss of range

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregS

My 2011 Nissan LEAF has lost 25-30% of its battery capacity, but I've lost closer to 50% of my original range. I basically drive the same commute every day under the same conditions, so I can only imagine that the capacity to range ratio with a lithium-ion battery is not linear? If anyone has experienced similar results or has a technical explanation, I'd love to hear it, thanks!

Many people have reported similar "impressions". However, there is a significant amount of KWh's left below Low Battery Warning (LBW) and Very LBW. Are you running all the way down to LBW or VLBW? If not, then you may be leaving 20 mi of range in the battery.

What are you using to determine your battery is degraded by 25-30%?

Is the mileage really down 50%? Half the original mileage if you went from 100% charge to 0-5%? or are you talking mainly from 100% to 50% charge?

On a degraded battery it seems, 0-50% SOC has much more range than 50-100% SOC.

Nissan service reps won't tell me exactly how much capacity I have left (citing "proprietary information"), so over the last few years I've brought my LEAF down to "0 miles" and used my home charger to calculate how much capacity is available. My understanding is that in a 24kw batt the car leaves a kw or so in reserve (below "0"), so I'm taking that into account. Anyway, using those estimations my batt will now hold about 70-75% of its original capacity and my range from full to "0" miles is 45-50 over my commute path. When the car was new, I would get between 80-85 miles over the same commute path. All these numbers are, of course, approximate.

In the above, you mean kWh. kW and kWh are very different metrics. It's the same as confusing gallons with horsepower. Think of kW = horsepower, kWh = gallons.

If one charges at 1 kW (or 1000 watts) for 6 hours, 6 kWh came out of the wall. If it's at 6 kW for 1 hour, it's also 6 kWh. If it's 1 watt for 6000 hours, it's also 6 kWh.

Leaf when new has ~21 to 22 kWh usable out of 24. Forget the GOM (guess-o-meter).

For range complaints, please answer http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=275421#p275421 here. Also, not all the energy coming out of the wall (EVSE in this case) makes it into the battery, due to charging overhead and losses.

LeafMuranoDriver said:
What are you using to determine your battery is degraded by 25-30%?

Is the mileage really down 50%? Half the original mileage if you went from 100% charge to 0-5%? or are you talking mainly from 100% to 50% charge?

On a degraded battery it seems, 0-50% SOC has much more range than 50-100% SOC.
Also note on a degrade battery your also probably not going to get 100% SOC. On my 10 bar '12 Leaf I generally only get to 91-92% SOC(using LeafSpy) before it stops charging, so therefor running to 50%, your really only using probably~40% of the capacity of the battery.
I agree with your last statement, even taking into account half the battery will probably start at 45% SOC it still seems to go faster than the remaining 45%.
So we know how the OP is getting SOC%? as most probably know before '13 Leafs lacked the very handy SOC meter and instead only had the almost useless GOM.

Back