New Leaf - BAD ELM's Tried 2 so far HELP ! Leaf SPY

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blimpy

So far I have purchased 2 ELM's one on ebay and one on amazon.

The big OBD Scan ELM.. "works" but of course doesn't do the protocol needed for Leaf.. Pairs with Tablet.. but Leaf Spy say it
doesn't support Leaf.

ok.

Bought a Rio Rand RD8 on Amazon. POS ! no lights, no blue tooth, no action.

So now I need a known good type/brand !!

I have a Brand New 2016 SV.. and I want to establish a baseline for the battery now...
but I'm SOL.

:x :mrgreen: :ugeek: :evil:

This worked for me

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q5YRC4C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works well when paired with Motorolla moto E, Nexus 4, and Samsung galaxy tab 2 7.
When paired with LG volt - it did not work.

Two OBD plugs cant be both bad.. You need to be in Leafspy, and go into settings to PAIR with the Bluetooth "OBDII... "something"" then go back and see if it is working... ALso, you must have the car ignition on..

In a private message to me on 11/7, Jim (author of Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro) wrote:

"For normal Bluetooth I currently recommend the Konnwei KW902 which is available from Amazon. But on the next release I will switch to recommending only Bluetooth 4.x LE OBDII adapters.

For the next official release of LeafSpy I will support the much easier to use Bluetooth 4.x LE OBDII adapters. The two that are supported are the LELink and the PLX Kiwi 3 both available from Amazon. These two adapters also work with the iOS version of LeafSpy.
"

You can view his official page at:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Turbo3.Leaf_Spy_Pro&hl=en

Bob

The KW902 has worked flawlessly, but it sticks out too far. It got bumped out once already.

PianoAl said:
The KW902 has worked flawlessly, but it sticks out too far. It got bumped out once already.
You should be using an extension cable or splitter anyway. I would hate to wear out the connector on the car.

Thanks all. I ordered the one manihan recommended.. since I have the current leaf spy and a tab 2 which is also now considered.."older"
it will be a considerable PITA if the dongle is longer than the small ones.

but oh well.

took me a while to find my own post again !
:oops:

is Bluetooth 4x some new Bluetooth protocol ?

larry
West of Sebastopol Cal.

blimpy said:
is Bluetooth 4x some new Bluetooth protocol ?
I think he's referring to a version of Bluetooth: 4.x (e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth#Bluetooth_4.0_.2B_LE).

http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Leaf_Spy_Pro#Clone_ELM327_Bluetooth_Scanner has some recommendations for Android. Ignore them for iOS.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=432005#p432005

Konnwei arrived.. win one, lose one.

Per advice, I got a Konnwei KW902.. nicely packaged, nicely made.
Paired with Tab2 fine.
Paired with Leaf Spy Lite.. and works fine.

BUT...

It wont pair with Leaf Spy Pro.

tried cycling the car, cycling the Kw902, tried repairing with the Tab2.
no change.

Tried it with Lite going, tried it with Lite not going.

NFG .

Tried re-entering the password for the KW902.

I am connecting using blue tooth.

Am I ignoring something basic ??

Larry

Bob said:
In a private message to me on 11/7, Jim (author of Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro) wrote:

"For normal Bluetooth I currently recommend the Konnwei KW902 which is available from Amazon. But on the next release I will switch to recommending only Bluetooth 4.x LE OBDII adapters.

For the next official release of LeafSpy I will support the much easier to use Bluetooth 4.x LE OBDII adapters. The two that are supported are the LELink and the PLX Kiwi 3 both available from Amazon. These two adapters also work with the iOS version of LeafSpy.
"

You can view his official page at:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Turbo3.Leaf_Spy_Pro&hl=en

Bob

I got the Konnwei KW902 also. It worked great, for just under a year. Now it is dead, or at least it won't transmit any data. The on/off switch only operates intermittently. It may have contributed to a shorter lifespan because after about 6 months I started wondering about the switch and just ended up leaving it on all the time. Somewhere I had read that the internal connections weren't the best, that guy was able to fix his but I can't.

Now I'm looking at the ScanTool OBDLink LX Bluetooth, which was recommended by TomT at
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=22368&p=467288&hilit=konnwei#p467288

That one is about $50, but at $20/year for this one it gets expensive quickly. Hopefully the ScanTool one will work with the new releases too.

Blimpy,
Have you tried uninstalling Leaf Spy (free edition), so that only Leaf Spy Pro is on your phone? I think I had to do that before it worked.
BTW, about a month ago I ordered a Norsway ELM bluetooth which connected with Leaf Spy Pro (downloaded a month ago) on a Samsung phone. The Norsway is blue and stubby. Amazon sells it for less than $12, described as NorSway Car OBD2 Code Reader V1.5 Super Mini ELM327 Bluetooth Diagnostic Scan Tool Check Engine Light for Android and Windows System Torque Pro.

The Konnwei elm recommended here.. now works flawlessly with Leaf Spy Pro and Lite.
It helps to remember to turn it on !
:D

I had a few teething problems getting it to pair in Pro.. but this probably was operator error.
I did let it stay installed in the car over night - after failures to connect in Pro.
Next morning I went through the drill and it connected first time.

This is certainly The Ticket for use with the current version of Leaf Spy.
The author is a regular here.. and when the newest version is out.. it will be time for another elm.

I am indebted for the advice gotten here... most of the Amazon sellers are ethically challenged and
that too bad.

I was unable to get the Konnwei to work with my LEAF, although it does work with other cars so I guess it's not bad.

I have another generic type adapter that I borrowed from a friend that i'm using now, but I would really like to get a low profile that works so I don't have to bother with the extension cable.

I ordered an LELink based on Bob's recommendation here, but it will not pair with my Samsung Note 4. I wonder if I have a defective unit, or if anyone has successfully paired one with a similar phone. it does show up in the scan, but it gives an "unable to communicate" error. I am returning it, but wonder what to replace it with

I am planning to switch to an iphone 7 plus in March, and so tried to get it to pair with my daughter's phone, but saw nothing there, although the instructions on the LWLinks odd outdoor website implied i would not. It never got a green light, and she didn't want me to add any software, so I remain unsure if it will work there or not.

Any tips?

I don't have much to add, but when you are troubleshooting bluetooth issues make sure you do not have your bluetooth audio connected to the car. It can only talk to one at a time.

Also I have a spare Konnwei KW902 new in box if anyone needs it. PM me.

Well after trying 4 different WiFi units, I finally settled on this because I have a Iphone, Bluetooth, and it works really damn good!!
LELink Bluetooth Low Energy BLE OBD-II OBD2 Car Diagnostic Tool For iPhone/iPod/iPad

URL ... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QJRYMFC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As soon as it arrived, I was home, I unpacked it, ran out to the car, plugged it into my extension cable, pulled out the phone, and before I could set anything up, it was connected, and working great! That was 2 months ago, and this is the best unit I have found!
It just works, and keeps working really great!

Do yourselves a favor, if you want to run Leaf-Link Pro, get this unit.
It just works great!

blimpy said:
Konnwei arrived.. win one, lose one.

Per advice, I got a Konnwei KW902.. nicely packaged, nicely made.
Paired with Tab2 fine.
Paired with Leaf Spy Lite.. and works fine.

BUT...

It wont pair with Leaf Spy Pro.

tried cycling the car, cycling the Kw902, tried repairing with the Tab2.
no change.

Tried it with Lite going, tried it with Lite not going.

NFG .

Tried re-entering the password for the KW902.

I am connecting using blue tooth.

Am I ignoring something basic ??

Larry

I have the same problem. Pair with Lite. Don't pair with Leaf Spy Pro. Non Pro version pairs, but do not display correct info (ex. SOH=0, odo=0) What do I have to do to get this working. I have a Konnwei KW902 / Samsung Galaxy 7.0 / Leaf 2017. If the problem with KW902 or Leaf Spy software? Do I have to uninstall Leaf Spy Life to get Pro version to work?? Please help.

borugee said:
I have the same problem. Pair with Lite. Don't pair with Leaf Spy Pro. Non Pro version pairs, but do not display correct info (ex. SOH=0, odo=0) What do I have to do to get this working. I have a Konnwei KW902 / Samsung Galaxy 7.0 / Leaf 2017. If the problem with KW902 or Leaf Spy software? Do I have to uninstall Leaf Spy Life to get Pro version to work?? Please help.
Why are using a KW902? Have you read http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=23776 yet? If you're seeing craziness like T/M malfunction after plugging it in, STOP using it before your damage your Leaf.

Back