Please Check My Calculations/Reasoning

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PianoAl

We have the special PG&E EV rate. Cost is $.11/kWh at night, with rates of .26 and .44 at other times.

Weekdays/Weekends:

wlYCm2J.png

If we need to take two trips to town (40-60 miles, roundtrip), the question I needed to answer was: If I am forced to charge at the $.44/kWh rate, is it still cheaper than taking the truck (20 MPG)?

Here are my calculations. I base the efficiency for my Level 2 charger on this:

https://avt.inl.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/fsev/SteadyStateLoadCharacterization2012Leaf.pdf

Here are the calculations:

WLIs1vZ.jpg

I conclude that at the highest rate, the fuel cost for the truck and LEAF are about the same. Seem right?

Thanks.

IMHO, the difference of .009 cents for the highest recharge time is not significant. At all other timess, the EV is better. In addition, the maintenance costs per a mile are probably much lower for the BEV than the ICE.

IMHO, the difference of .009 cents for the highest recharge time is not significant. At all other timess, the EV is better. In addition, the maintenance costs per a mile are probably much lower for the BEV than the ICE.

Back