2016 Efficiency

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveinOlyWA

One month tomorrow on my 2016 S30 and the first 1700 miles I have struggled to match the efficiency seen in both the 2011 and 2013. So wondering if anyone else who had previous LEAFs who upgraded to the 30 kwh LEAF (with same size wheels) have noticed a difference in performance?

What I am using for comparison is that I reset the "miles per kwh" meter every morning. So its a long term average drop I am seeing. Obviously there is a lot of variance to driving conditions and found out quickly that Cruise control is not very efficient but even after I stopped using it, my performance is still not up to where I was before.

I am using B mode Eco for the first time ever along with less neutral but I find that is hard to believe that would make a difference so my question is did Nissan tweak the formula used to determine the miles per kwh figure? I do know in my 2011 SL which had 2 sets of numbers (one on dash, one on center energy screen) that did not match so wondering were my previous figures inflated and the 2016 is more accurate or do I have some sort of alignment/bearing/suspension issue?

**edit** all my comparisons were made during the same mileages of the two previous LEAFs so tires are not a factor. keep in mind, the larger the wheel, the lower the efficiency so if you are not running 16" ecopias, you will have differences

How big is the delta and how many miles were on the '13 tires? Other than severe weather conditions, new tires seem to have the biggest impact on my efficiency.

Just spit ballin' but what tires does your '16 have? New tires can make a big difference in range, being new they wouldn't be broken yet and some tires just have a LRR than others, could that help explain things? Are you under very similar driving conditions, as I'm sure you know outside temp and even things like rain/snow can greatly effect range. Now I imagine carrying around a bigger battery could explain a percent or two in range but it sounds like you may be seeing an even greater loss, do you have a percent loss, even approximate?

jhm614 said:
How big is the delta and how many miles were on the '13 tires? Other than severe weather conditions, new tires seem to have the biggest impact on my efficiency.

wear is not a factor. all numbers compared are in the first month of ownership in each case

jjeff said:
Just spit ballin' but what tires does your '16 have? New tires can make a big difference in range, being new they wouldn't be broken yet and some tires just have a LRR than others, could that help explain things? Are you under very similar driving conditions, as I'm sure you know outside temp and even things like rain/snow can greatly effect range. Now I imagine carrying around a bigger battery could explain a percent or two in range but it sounds like you may be seeing an even greater loss, do you have a percent loss, even approximate?

16" ecopias on all 3 cars. driving conditions vary but its been 30 days and not seeing anywhere near the same numbers. Averages lower by .2-.3 miles per kwh. first two cars, nearly identical. Now rain is the big factor. its impossible to compare numbers then due to varying road conditions, drainage abilities, etc.

things may normalize but I have already done a few dry commutes and seeing on average .4 -.5 miles per kwh lower than expected

Too many variables to start worrying now. I would pay attention in six months or so when the the roads are dry, temperature mild, tyres broken in ...

The only difference you can count on would be the increased weight of the car. I don't know if the S30 is only heavier by the 6 kWh of battery or if a beefier suspension adds more weight. In a regular car the proportional fuel economy drop is about half the weight increase.
So e.g.,
a 10% increase in weight would translate to a 5% drop in fuel economy. This rule of thumb is for 50/50 combined city/highway driving so can probably figure weights of 75 city and 25 highway. Figure around 40% regen in a LEAF so weights of 45 city and 25 highway for your car.

Addendum: My googling of the 2013 S24 and 2016 S30 find little difference in weight. I'm surprised ...

SageBrush said:
Too many variables to start worrying now. I would pay attention in six months or so when the the roads are dry, temperature mild, tyres broken in ...

The only difference you can count on would be the increased weight of the car. I don't know if the S30 is only heavier by the 6 kWh of battery or if a beefier suspension adds more weight. In a regular car the proportional fuel economy drop is about half the weight increase.
So e.g.,
a 10% increase in weight would translate to a 5% drop in fuel economy. This rule of thumb is for 50/50 combined city/highway driving so can probably figure weights of 75 city and 25 highway. Figure around 40% regen in a LEAF so weights of 45 city and 25 highway for your car.

Addendum: My googling of the 2013 S24 and 2016 S30 find little difference in weight. I'm surprised ...

yeah, battery tech advances makes the weights nearly the same. seems to me I read somewhere that nearly all the weight gain (which is minimal) was from using different materials in other parts of the car. Keep in mind the 60 kwh pack is rumored to only be 25% heavier....

DaveinOlyWA said:
One month tomorrow on my 2016 S30 and the first 1700 miles I have struggled to match the efficiency seen in both the 2011 and 2013. So wondering if anyone else who had previous LEAFs who upgraded to the 30 kwh LEAF (with same size wheels) have noticed a difference in performance?

What I am using for comparison is that I reset the "miles per kwh" meter every morning. So its a long term average drop I am seeing. Obviously there is a lot of variance to driving conditions and found out quickly that Cruise control is not very efficient but even after I stopped using it, my performance is still not up to where I was before.

I am using B mode Eco for the first time ever along with less neutral but I find that is hard to believe that would make a difference so my question is did Nissan tweak the formula used to determine the miles per kwh figure? I do know in my 2011 SL which had 2 sets of numbers (one on dash, one on center energy screen) that did not match so wondering were my previous figures inflated and the 2016 is more accurate or do I have some sort of alignment/bearing/suspension issue?

**edit** all my comparisons were made during the same mileages of the two previous LEAFs so tires are not a factor. keep in mind, the larger the wheel, the lower the efficiency so if you are not running 16" ecopias, you will have differences

The kms per kwh displayed on my 16 sl compared to the 13 sl I previously owned is lower but seem to pick up when driving further distances.
I have noticed when tire pressure comes up to 43 pounds (which is where I like to run them) that efficiency # increases so I attribute mostly to that.
It is also possible however that a Nissan mile is now closer to 5000 feet :D

DaveinOlyWA said:

I am using B mode Eco for the first time ever along with less neutral ...

Are the B mode and ECO mode separately enabled on the S30, or are they combined as one option? I switch between D and B while driving, but primarily use B for low speed driving (and rapid slow-down) and use D mode the rest of the time. I only use ECO during freeway driving (now that I am 3 bars down and need the range), or when the battery is below 40%. In the past, I have left ECO off to get maximum cooling from the Climate Control during the summer.

Mi/kWh on 2011 (both dashboard and NAV numbers) were much higher than actual mi/kWh from wall meter measurements. 2015 is closer (dashboard and NAV numbers actually match if both are reset at the same time), but they are still a little optimistic compared to the wall meter. Therefore, I believe Nissan changed the calculation algorithm by the time I got the 2015. If your numbers for 2011 and 2013 were about the same, then the drop you are seeing with the 2016 is probably due to more accurate calculations.

FWIW, the actual mi/kWh from wall meter measurements is higher for my 2015 with 6 kW charging than with 3.3 kW charging. If charged at the lower rate (similar to full rate on 2011), actual mi/kWh from wall for 2015 would match the 2011.

Gerry

GerryAZ said:
Mi/kWh on 2011 (both dashboard and NAV numbers) were much higher than actual mi/kWh from wall meter measurements. 2015 is closer (dashboard and NAV numbers actually match if both are reset at the same time), but they are still a little optimistic compared to the wall meter. Therefore, I believe Nissan changed the calculation algorithm by the time I got the 2015. If your numbers for 2011 and 2013 were about the same, then the drop you are seeing with the 2016 is probably due to more accurate calculations.

FWIW, the actual mi/kWh from wall meter measurements is higher for my 2015 with 6 kW charging than with 3.3 kW charging. If charged at the lower rate (similar to full rate on 2011), actual mi/kWh from wall for 2015 would match the 2011.

Gerry

there are efficiency losses to consider when calc wall to wheels that run 75% to about 88% which is the reason why efficiency is higher with 6KW charging than 3.3 KW charging. During the charging process, BMS support systems are running and using power.

on 120 volts charging at 1.44 KW, I calculated only 75% efficiency using a Kill A Watt from the wall and the miles/kwh meter on the Dash. Since the power used by the BMS varies only slightly with faster charging options, we see the efficiency rise as the time to charge drops

baustin said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

I am using B mode Eco for the first time ever along with less neutral ...

Are the B mode and ECO mode separately enabled on the S30, or are they combined as one option? I switch between D and B while driving, but primarily use B for low speed driving (and rapid slow-down) and use D mode the rest of the time. I only use ECO during freeway driving (now that I am 3 bars down and need the range), or when the battery is below 40%. In the past, I have left ECO off to get maximum cooling from the Climate Control during the summer.

they are separate probably no different than what you have but I see no reason to run in any other mode than Eco B or neutral. I should mention that the LEAF does not appear to roll as well in neutral either but I do think its a new tire issue here as I have several places I shift to neutral and pretty familiar with how much speed I would gain but have to admit my memory is freshest with recent history of my 2013 and its near depleted tires

GerryAZ said:

Gerry
A wall meter will include charging losses.
I'm not sure what Nissan is including in the car's miles/kWh number but I personally do not want charging losses included in my range estimate since that reflects the energy in the battery, not the energy spent to fill the battery.

SageBrush said:
GerryAZ said:

Gerry
A wall meter will include charging losses.
I'm not sure what Nissan is including in the car's miles/kWh number but I personally do not want charging losses included in my range estimate since that reflects the energy in the battery, not the energy spent to fill the battery.

agreed and I track both because gives me the cost, the other gives me an estimated range

Back