2013 Leaf loses about 10% range....possible issues?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackLeafS

So I have a 2013 Leaf S. I recently had several things done to the car:

1. New tires. Goodyear brand from Costco
2. Alignment fixed.
3. 2 safety recalls fixed.

All of this was done within a 2 day span. Shortly after I noticed that my range has decreased about 10% from before. On my normal drive to and from work (on a 80% charge), I normally have about 25%-30% battery left by the time I get home. After having the items done to the car, I noticed I am getting about 15% battery left by the end of the day. I even try to drive differently (slower, more local, and longer coasting distances) to try to get more range. I'm wondering if anyone here has an idea of why this has happened.

I dropped the car off today and told the service adviser about the issue I'm having, and he said new tires and alignment should help with the range and not degrade it. So the only thing I can conclude is that the safety recall (braking issue fixed) may have something to do with hit. I do notice that after the safety recall fix, that the annoying harsh braking has stopped.

New tires will drop the range until they wear in, and if they are not low rolling resistance (LRR) they will affect it as long as they are on the car. Make sure they are inflated to 40-42psi, as the tire place probably used the terrible, wrong, bad figure of 36psi listed on the door, and that too will reduce range.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am picking the car up in an hour. I'll check the tire pressure and see if that solves the issue. When I purchased the tires, I was it aware that I'd need LRR tires. I'm hoping that is not the issue here.... will tires really amount to a 10%+ lost in range?

What Leftie said, new tires, even LRR will likely reduce range at least 10% until they are broken it. Worn or bald tires are the best for range, but of course worst for safety.
The OEM Ecopia's(if thats what your car came with) have some of the best LRR, I recently replaced mostly bald Ecopias with new Ecopias(actually Ecopia + from Costco) and immediately noticed a reduction in range :( compound that with the new cold weather around here and I did a trip today that I normally come back with >20% and today I was creeping back with --- for GOM and <10% SOC and that was with heat OFF for the last 5 miles! I'm expecting my range to come back in a couple thousand miles but with the imminent cold weather I'll still probably be looking at sub 60 mile ranges, even with a 100% charge, 44psi max inflation pressure and using preheat when I can.

You didn't say where you are, but I have had the same thing happen after the temperature dropped 15-20 degrees. Headwinds can also cause a drop.

BlackLeafS said:
So I have a 2013 Leaf S. ...

All of this was done within a 2 day span. Shortly after I noticed that my range has decreased about 10% from before. On my normal drive to and from work (on a 80% charge), I normally have about 25%-30% battery left by the time I get home. After having the items done to the car, I noticed I am getting about 15% battery left by the end of the day. I even try to drive differently (slower, more local, and longer coasting distances) to try to get more range. I'm wondering if anyone here has an idea of why this has happened.

How often do you charge to 100%? This needs done periodically to balance the cells. Charging to 100% is not a bad thing. Leaving the battery at 100% for extended periods, especially in hot weather, is what does the damage. With the colder weather, and new tires, you will need to change to 100% charging on weekdays, and leave it at 80% on weekends (unless you need the range).

Back