Would I be crazy to get a Leaf S trim level in the northeast?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schleppy

I'm currently shopping for a used Leaf in MA. I have a 50 mile highway commute (25 each way). Most of that is on a 65 mph highway, pretty level. I have access to charing at work (and I have a level 2 at home).

I really wanted a 2015+ SV or SL model (in white or gray), but it's tough finding one. There are a TON of 2015 S models (some with quick charge) available, and cheap too. Would I be nuts getting the S model with the resistive heater instead of the heat pump?

Thanks all!

Semi-nuts. The other problem w/the S trim is the lack of TCU so there's no cellular radio and no way to remotely trigger pre-heating of the cabin or to set the timer remotely (via web site or Nissan Connect app.)

And, setting the climate control timer is a pain in the butt on the S due to the lack of touchscreen. You have to do it via the 2 buttons in the cluster of 4 on the left side. I'm also not sure if the S trim lets you set the temp for pre-heat/pre-cool, whereas the '13+ SV and SL let you set it via the touchscreen.

You may find it nice to be able to go out to a pre-heated or cooled car, and for that to come from "shore" power instead of the battery.

Damn, that was the other reason I was avoiding the S trim. Thank you for the reminder!

Yeah, preconditioning the cabin is a must in the winter. I do that nearly every day in my Volt.

To see what I mean about the climate control timer on the S, d/l the '15 Leaf owner's manual from https://owners.nissanusa.com/nowners/navigation/manualsGuide. Look at pages 2-27, 2-35, 4-15 thru 4-17.

Compare to pages 4-23 to 4-26 and being able to easily trigger and/or set the timer via their Android or iOS apps or Nissan's web site.

cwerdna said:
To see what I mean about the climate control timer on the S, d/l the '15 Leaf owner's manual from https://owners.nissanusa.com/nowners/navigation/manualsGuide. Look at pages 2-27, 2-35, 4-15 thru 4-17.

Compare to pages 4-23 to 4-26 and being able to easily trigger and/or set the timer via their Android or iOS apps or Nissan's web site.

Yep, I just finished looking at that :)

It doesn't seem like it would be the worst thing. With that being said, I don't always leave the house at the same time each day, so it would make it pretty useless.

Just a thought. is leasing a new 2017 S out of the question? You gain the 30Kwh battery. Or find a left over 2016 SV. I have one of those.
I live in Vermont and my commute is 65-70 miles each day. I can do that on a single charge with heat on. When it's in the single digits or below 0 I have to reduce the heat use a bit cause the heat pump cuts out in that range and the car just uses the resistive heater. I set the temp to 65ºF and keep the fan speed low. The seat heat and the warm cloths I wear anyway make it fine.
If you have a Volt now and the newer cars aren't feasible may be wait till some 2016 SVs hit the used market.
I don't know how the newer battery are going to hold up but with the past cars the range can get reduced in a few years and if you are starting with a 24Kwh battery things will get tight several years in.

If you have access to charging at work or fast charge you will be fine but then you rely on the infrastructure being available at all times. Hopefully that will not be an issues in the future.

When it's in the single digits or below 0 I have to reduce the heat use a bit cause the heat pump cuts out in that range and the car just uses the resistive heater. I set the temp to 65ºF and keep the fan speed low.

If you get cold, try setting the heater to a much warmer temp, like 80, but still leaving the fan on Low. The volume of air being warmed matters more than the thermostat setting in weather like that.

Leasing is definitely out of the question. I am leasing the Volt now, and I am done with having mileage limits. I want to be able to drive as much as I can. It also stinks having to constantly worry about the car being in perfect shape.

I have 8 months for the right Leaf to show up. I am confident I will be able to find a SV or SL model in the next few months.

I have a '13S and live in a colder climate than you, and couldn't be happier :) True it doesn't have the internet connectivity to precondition your car it's easy to program in the car, as long as you either leave at the same time every day or don't mind changing it to your departure time the last time you drive your Leaf. Of course you could always just go out and start the car(while plugged into shore power) and let it run for 20-30 min. No AFAIK you cannot set the temp it heats or cools to but it's nice and warm in the winter and cool in the summer(using the timer).
I also own a '12SL and IMO it's more of a PIA to set the timer than my '13S, I DESPISE setting the climate control timer on my '12 and occasionally for whatever reason it fails to come on :x
In the bitter cold when you really need a heater the heatpump doesn't help anyway, IMO the handiest time to have the heatpump would be when it's warmer(40s-60s) and you need to defog the windows. Personally the only S I'd get would have the charger package for the upgraded 6.6 kw L2 charger, the standard 3.6kw charger is painfully slow(almost half speed). Also note depending on the year(I believe only '13) to get the backup camera you have to have the charger package, another nicety I wouldn't want to be without.

I would expand your search area, having a car trucked to your house is not that expensive, add in a round trip flight for inspection and purchase and you can then have the vehicle you want and not one you had to settle for. IMHO

I agree with oleviking about expanding your search. I went 150 miles away to get my almost new 2015SV back in May. I towed it home on a trailer but I could have driven it home with several stops along the way to charge. I opted for the trailer because my Leaf does not have a QC port. My daily commute is about like yours and I can do it with charging at one end or the other alone. During the dead of winter, if I get to the point where I have to charge at both ends, I will but so far it has not been a problem. I bought this car for the cheap commute that it provides me with so I would have to say that your similar commute should be great in a Leaf.

You have one big advantage over me, you have charging at work available. My charging near work is just over a mile away, which if I do end up needing to charge at both ends, I probably will not like the walk each way as much as I do now.

I'm a big S evangelist especially if it means you get a 30kWh S over a used 24kWh model with a heat pump - use shore power preconditioning and rely on that nice big battery with nice long warranty and you'll be all set.

Plus, the 17S models have a lot of the features that the S trim used to lack.

No one mentioned it yet - the S model has a 3.6kW onboard charger unless the car has the QC package (L3 CHADEMO). That means L2 charging will roughly be at 1/2 the speed of a 6.6kW capable Leaf.

schleppy said:
I'm currently shopping for a used Leaf in MA. I have a 50 mile highway commute (25 each way). Most of that is on a 65 mph highway, pretty level. I have access to charing at work (and I have a level 2 at home).

I really wanted a 2015+ SV or SL model (in white or gray), but it's tough finding one. There are a TON of 2015 S models (some with quick charge) available, and cheap too. Would I be nuts getting the S model with the resistive heater instead of the heat pump?

Thanks all!

No, you should be fine. We live in metrowest, and have had a 2015 Leaf S for 2 1/2 years, and the absolute worst winter range has been about 60 miles. The heated seats are great, and so it the heated steering wheel. And the side mirrors are heated when you turn on the rear defroster.

You only need to use the heater when you have to run the defroster.

No, you should be fine. We live in metrowest, and have had a 2015 Leaf S for 2 1/2 years, and the absolute worst winter range has been about 60 miles. The heated seats are great, and so it the heated steering wheel. And the side mirrors are heated when you turn on the rear defroster.

You only need to use the heater when you have to run the defroster.

I read this as you saying that you consider user of the cabin heater as optional, except to defrost. If that is true, then your range in Winter won't apply to another Leaf S driver who actually likes to stay warm. My 2013's range, when new, in Frigid weather, was about 50-55 miles, depending on speed and how much heat I used. That was likely with some degradation (2013 was a HOT Summer here), but not any more than a 2015 would be likely to have now. I wouldn't recommend an S to anyone in the Northeast who had to drive it more than 40 miles, because that high heater drain is always there, not just during the occasional frigid spell.

alozzy said:
No one mentioned it yet - the S model has a 3.6kW onboard charger unless the car has the QC package (L3 CHADEMO). That means L2 charging will roughly be at 1/2 the speed of a 6.6kW capable Leaf.
Yes, a buyer needs to be aware of this, but local dealers around here do not even stock the S without the QC package. It is special order only. When I was looking for a replacement LEAF a while ago every new S available in the area had the QC package with 6.6 kWh charger.

There seems to be a lot of regional variation on that then, as in the PNW, most of the S trim Leafs do not have the QC package.

I own an S leaf. To You, I say---- Buy an S Leaf, save thousands, and you have the electric car you want without all of the extra crap. Yes, the higher trim may give you a better heater..... Let's say it is twice as efficient (overall). If you use the heater at a low level, any heater will work efficiently. For the life of me, why should I buy a higher level leaf so you can talk to it on the internet to preheat the car or check its level of charge?? The S car heats up in about 2 minutes anyway. Those are just toys to play with.

Don't listen to those that say DONT GET AN "S". I live on long island NY and own a 15 S. I drive 50 miles a day with it. I have driven it for 2 full winters and have no problems with it... It has front and rear heated seats, heated steering wheel. The "BAD" heater works fine and it does not use a lot of energy if you use it correctly. Use the heated seats and steering wheel, and set the heater to about 68-69 degrees with the fan on the lowest (1 or 2 bars) speed. That will make the car comfortably warm for your whole trip, and will only use about 10% more power. When the windows fog, you can hit the A/C button for a while. You start using a lot if you set the temperature and fan way up high...

PS - On Long Island, I have seen several red nice Leaf Ss for sale that I wish I could buy for about $10,000. They were 2015, with only 12-14K miles on them.. Check Long Island Craigslist.. OH YES!! Get the Quick charge package which gives you the faster 6.6 KWH charger...

Back