schleppy
Delivery Date: 26 Dec 2016

Would I be crazy to get a Leaf S trim level in the northeast?

Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:21 pm

I'm currently shopping for a used Leaf in MA. I have a 50 mile highway commute (25 each way). Most of that is on a 65 mph highway, pretty level. I have access to charing at work (and I have a level 2 at home).

I really wanted a 2015+ SV or SL model (in white or gray), but it's tough finding one. There are a TON of 2015 S models (some with quick charge) available, and cheap too. Would I be nuts getting the S model with the resistive heater instead of the heat pump?

Thanks all!

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Re: Would I be crazy to get a Leaf S trim level in the northeast?

Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:29 pm

Semi-nuts. The other problem w/the S trim is the lack of TCU so there's no cellular radio and no way to remotely trigger pre-heating of the cabin or to set the timer remotely (via web site or Nissan Connect app.)

And, setting the climate control timer is a pain in the butt on the S due to the lack of touchscreen. You have to do it via the 2 buttons in the cluster of 4 on the left side. I'm also not sure if the S trim lets you set the temp for pre-heat/pre-cool, whereas the '13+ SV and SL let you set it via the touchscreen.

You may find it nice to be able to go out to a pre-heated or cooled car, and for that to come from "shore" power instead of the battery.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

schleppy

Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:30 pm

Damn, that was the other reason I was avoiding the S trim. Thank you for the reminder!

Yeah, preconditioning the cabin is a must in the winter. I do that nearly every day in my Volt.

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:39 pm

To see what I mean about the climate control timer on the S, d/l the '15 Leaf owner's manual from https://owners.nissanusa.com/nowners/na ... nualsGuide. Look at pages 2-27, 2-35, 4-15 thru 4-17.

Compare to pages 4-23 to 4-26 and being able to easily trigger and/or set the timer via their Android or iOS apps or Nissan's web site.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

schleppy

Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:40 pm

cwerdna wrote:To see what I mean about the climate control timer on the S, d/l the '15 Leaf owner's manual from https://owners.nissanusa.com/nowners/na ... nualsGuide. Look at pages 2-27, 2-35, 4-15 thru 4-17.

Compare to pages 4-23 to 4-26 and being able to easily trigger and/or set the timer via their Android or iOS apps or Nissan's web site.

Yep, I just finished looking at that :)

It doesn't seem like it would be the worst thing. With that being said, I don't always leave the house at the same time each day, so it would make it pretty useless.

gregn
Delivery Date: 06 Apr 2016
Leaf Number: 308289

Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:46 am

Just a thought. is leasing a new 2017 S out of the question? You gain the 30Kwh battery. Or find a left over 2016 SV. I have one of those.
I live in Vermont and my commute is 65-70 miles each day. I can do that on a single charge with heat on. When it's in the single digits or below 0 I have to reduce the heat use a bit cause the heat pump cuts out in that range and the car just uses the resistive heater. I set the temp to 65ºF and keep the fan speed low. The seat heat and the warm cloths I wear anyway make it fine.
If you have a Volt now and the newer cars aren't feasible may be wait till some 2016 SVs hit the used market.
I don't know how the newer battery are going to hold up but with the past cars the range can get reduced in a few years and if you are starting with a 24Kwh battery things will get tight several years in.

If you have access to charging at work or fast charge you will be fine but then you rely on the infrastructure being available at all times. Hopefully that will not be an issues in the future.
2016 Leaf SV Pearl Blue
67 mile daily commute
Bat Stats@15%SOC: AHr=78.23 SOH=98% Hx=93.13% Balance Delta = 15mv
odo=16,820

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:51 am

When it's in the single digits or below 0 I have to reduce the heat use a bit cause the heat pump cuts out in that range and the car just uses the resistive heater. I set the temp to 65ºF and keep the fan speed low.

If you get cold, try setting the heater to a much warmer temp, like 80, but still leaving the fan on Low. The volume of air being warmed matters more than the thermostat setting in weather like that.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

schleppy

Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:54 am

Leasing is definitely out of the question. I am leasing the Volt now, and I am done with having mileage limits. I want to be able to drive as much as I can. It also stinks having to constantly worry about the car being in perfect shape.

I have 8 months for the right Leaf to show up. I am confident I will be able to find a SV or SL model in the next few months.

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:07 pm

I have a '13S and live in a colder climate than you, and couldn't be happier :) True it doesn't have the internet connectivity to precondition your car it's easy to program in the car, as long as you either leave at the same time every day or don't mind changing it to your departure time the last time you drive your Leaf. Of course you could always just go out and start the car(while plugged into shore power) and let it run for 20-30 min. No AFAIK you cannot set the temp it heats or cools to but it's nice and warm in the winter and cool in the summer(using the timer).
I also own a '12SL and IMO it's more of a PIA to set the timer than my '13S, I DESPISE setting the climate control timer on my '12 and occasionally for whatever reason it fails to come on :x
In the bitter cold when you really need a heater the heatpump doesn't help anyway, IMO the handiest time to have the heatpump would be when it's warmer(40s-60s) and you need to defog the windows. Personally the only S I'd get would have the charger package for the upgraded 6.6 kw L2 charger, the standard 3.6kw charger is painfully slow(almost half speed). Also note depending on the year(I believe only '13) to get the backup camera you have to have the charger package, another nicety I wouldn't want to be without.
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

schleppy

Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:09 pm

Thanks Jeff!

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”