alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Re: Telematics upgrade for US import to Canada

Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:29 am

Based on all the headaches people have had with the TCU upgrades in the US, at this point I'm not willing to drive to Bellingham to throw away $200 US on an upgrade that may or may not work. Even if the upgrade goes smoothly, Nissan Connect (Carwings) is apparently still unreliable and I really don't need the frustration of dealing with an unreliable service.

I like my Leaf, but Nissan really doesn't seem to care about their customers. I've always owned used cars and have seldom had to rely on dealers as I've always done my own repair work. I'm guessing though that I'll have to rely on a Nissan dealer at some point, as the powertrain on these Leafs isn't something I'd feel comfortable messing with.

I can't see myself going back to an ICE car, so the complexities of an EV powertrain is just something I'll have to live with. I will definitely think twice about buying a Nissan in future, although I doubt a Chevy will be any better. Maybe an IONIQ? Our most recent ICE was a Hyundai Santa Fe which was by far the most reliable car I've ever owned. Hope the Leaf proves to be just as reliable over the long term. Some of the horror stories on these forums of huge repair bills (ie bent tie rod), for what should be minor repairs on other cars, is starting to freak me out.

Crossing fingers...
Canadian with a US 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Big grin, enjoying my first BEV :D

sirpurrcival
Delivery Date: 05 Jun 2017
Leaf Number: 306997

Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:18 am

jerkwagon wrote:
sirpurrcival wrote:The lastest is that Jonkers is not allowed to do it anymore. I just purchased an imported Leaf and tried to register with Nissan Connect Canada and Nissan won't even let me do that. Talked to Jonkers and they have told me flat out that they cannot do it.

The best that I have been informed is that I can take my Leaf back to the US and have the Telemetrics Unit upgraded. Problem with that is that US based TCU"s use ATnT and Canada uses Rogers.

I have been told that if I do do this upgrade, I will get at least partial functionality of Carwings when I am North of the Border. But like others here have said, absolutely ridiculous implementation of this system.

In addition, I have to register with the US version of Nissan Connect and I have to have a US based address in order to make that happen. In my case, I have the ability to do these things but for a Canadian who doesn't have either proximity to the border and/or a US based address they can use, you are basically out of luck. Thumbs down Nissan.

At least on the good side of things. With 2015 and up, all upgrades are free.

IF you take it he Nissan in BLaine, they will do it for $200 usd, ( know its more that jonker) but they will do the same work. It will work fine, they just say it may not work as well to cover their butts.. THat sucks Jonker wont do it anymore..

Fortunately, as a 2015 owner, I don't have to pay a dime. I am a bit worried about the stories I have heard about the 12V power system after such upgrades. I am getting this done this week so if anyone has done an upgrade and think that I shouldn't do it, shoot me a PM or something.

sirpurrcival
Delivery Date: 05 Jun 2017
Leaf Number: 306997

Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:13 am

So I had the TCU replaced but I have now come up against another problem that seems to have reared it's ugly head for some users early in this thread.

The Bellingham Nissan did the work and told me that it might take 24 to 48 hours for NissanConnect to kick in. However, I can't get past the Nissan consent agreement.

I have registered for Nissan Connect USA, I have a USA based address, my Car VIN is entered in the system but apparently it isn't communicating with their system. I suspect that I probably have to be very close to the border for the registration to happen as it seems that the Car has to communicate something to the Nissan for the agreements to be accepted. Right now, roaming doesn't seem to be either working or good enough to activate. At least that is my theory. Nissan is going to call me tomorrow and I guess we'll see what the score is. Fortunately my better half works very close to the border and if need be she can dip across the line where I can try once again to register. Very annoying however. At the end of the day, I am only going to waste so much time on this. If it doesn't work, well it only cost me a few hours in the US but it cost Nissan the replacement part and labour. Something on the order of $600.00 US.

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”