chivalryx
Delivery Date: 04 Jul 2016

Re: Telematics upgrade for US import to Canada

Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:56 am

So just as a heads up for anyone not on our Facebook thread. Jonkers Nissan is now actively being blocked by Nissan (US?) from activating new TCU installs. They are unsure why Nissan is doing this, but have their regional manager looking into it. So for now they have cancelled all installs until they know more. Sadly this happened just before my scheduled install, along with 3 others.

Back to waiting, or planning a trip south!

Chiv.
2013 White Pearl SV (No quick charge)
Weathertech custom floormats
Aftermarket LED Headlight upgrade (45W 4800 lumen/bulb)
12V 20Ah Prismatic LiFeMnPO4 Lead Acid replacement
Aftermarket Rear Backup Camera wired to NAV

alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:16 am

Yup, me too. TCU was ordered, Jonker has it, was booked to come in. Last week, appointment got pushed back, then latest update was that it's postponed indefinitely
Canadian with a US 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Big grin, enjoying my first BEV :D

gethin
Delivery Date: 17 Sep 2016
Leaf Number: 333196

Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:15 pm

Same for me. Ordered placed a few weeks ago, and now stopped. Dealer in Langley told me that the program is stopped for the whole of NA not just Canada.......

grantandrews
Delivery Date: 28 Feb 2017
Leaf Number: 6021

Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:43 pm

Yep, same thing said to me. So just to get this straight. We currently have a 2G Telematics device which will work through the Rogers network but Nissan won't allow us to use it and won't allow us to upgrade to 3G. Since that doesn't really make sense from a customer satisfaction perspective it makes me wonder what bigger, more negative issue is lurking out there that Nissan is not talking about.

alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:41 pm

I'm guessing that Nissan wasn't anticipating so many problems with these TCU upgrades. Hopefully they are not going to bail on us, as they must be getting a lot of pushback from dealers who are fed up taking the brunt of the customer complaints and frustrations. Pretty poorly executed...

No idea why they didn't just make a Wi-Fi connected TCU or provide a generic SIM card slot for BYO Internet connectivity.
Canadian with a US 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Big grin, enjoying my first BEV :D

chivalryx
Delivery Date: 04 Jul 2016

Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:15 pm

That's disappointing. But good to know they're not just blocking Canadian's from the upgrade.

Perhaps there's something wrong with their side of the system and all installs are blocked until it's fixed.

Or perhaps they've noticed Canadian's and are in the process of killing the roaming feature... since every CSR I've spoken to has said Nissan Connect shouldn't work in Canada with a US Leaf...

Still hoping the program isn't entirely dead... remote climate control in the winter and summer was a nice perk :)

Chiv.
2013 White Pearl SV (No quick charge)
Weathertech custom floormats
Aftermarket LED Headlight upgrade (45W 4800 lumen/bulb)
12V 20Ah Prismatic LiFeMnPO4 Lead Acid replacement
Aftermarket Rear Backup Camera wired to NAV

Coreminator
Delivery Date: 15 Feb 2017
Leaf Number: 410367

Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:08 pm

Can we speculate the free cellular data connectivity service will end when the new Leaf is available for sale later this year? Perhaps Nissan will grandfather the free cellular data plans for 2011 to 2017 owners. It would be similar to what Tesla did with their supercharger plan. The early adopters are grandfathered in with free supercharger access while new owners will need to pay.

stonymtnleaf
Delivery Date: 07 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 026495

Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:10 am

chivalryx wrote:That's disappointing. But good to know they're not just blocking Canadian's from the upgrade.

Perhaps there's something wrong with their side of the system and all installs are blocked until it's fixed.

Or perhaps they've noticed Canadian's and are in the process of killing the roaming feature... since every CSR I've spoken to has said Nissan Connect shouldn't work in Canada with a US Leaf...

Still hoping the program isn't entirely dead... remote climate control in the winter and summer was a nice perk :)

Chiv.

Well, just for the record, "CarWings" for my US import 2012 Leaf SL is working just fine, both the charging report emails and the semi-daily "your energy rating is Silver, etc." reports. I am connecting to USA Nissan portal.

My 3G upgrade route was to purchase a TCU module from a Nissan parts place in Texas, install it myself, tinker with it for a few weeks to try and get it connecting and, finally, to see a local dealer who got it working/connecting with Nissan.

The network service seems to default to AT&T which works OK in the southern Manitoba / Winnipeg area. Wonder what the cell service is costing Nissan or perhaps it's just a tiny rounding error in their business costs?

OTOH, serving the relatively few Canadians who have acquired a Leaf by import from the US is perhaps comparable (to Nissan) to serving US Leaf customers who venture north in their travels to Canada and who might feel aggrieved to have their usual NissanConnect services fall apart at the border. I can't imagine a lot of US Leaf owners touring Canada but there are the much larger group of ICE Nissan owners to look after too.
2012 Leaf SL Silver
Stony Mountain, MB

sirpurrcival
Delivery Date: 05 Jun 2017
Leaf Number: 306997

Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:19 pm

The lastest is that Jonkers is not allowed to do it anymore. I just purchased an imported Leaf and tried to register with Nissan Connect Canada and Nissan won't even let me do that. Talked to Jonkers and they have told me flat out that they cannot do it.

The best that I have been informed is that I can take my Leaf back to the US and have the Telemetrics Unit upgraded. Problem with that is that US based TCU"s use ATnT and Canada uses Rogers.

I have been told that if I do do this upgrade, I will get at least partial functionality of Carwings when I am North of the Border. But like others here have said, absolutely ridiculous implementation of this system.

In addition, I have to register with the US version of Nissan Connect and I have to have a US based address in order to make that happen. In my case, I have the ability to do these things but for a Canadian who doesn't have either proximity to the border and/or a US based address they can use, you are basically out of luck. Thumbs down Nissan.

At least on the good side of things. With 2015 and up, all upgrades are free.

jerkwagon
Delivery Date: 28 Feb 2017
Leaf Number: 411662

Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:10 am

sirpurrcival wrote:The lastest is that Jonkers is not allowed to do it anymore. I just purchased an imported Leaf and tried to register with Nissan Connect Canada and Nissan won't even let me do that. Talked to Jonkers and they have told me flat out that they cannot do it.

The best that I have been informed is that I can take my Leaf back to the US and have the Telemetrics Unit upgraded. Problem with that is that US based TCU"s use ATnT and Canada uses Rogers.

I have been told that if I do do this upgrade, I will get at least partial functionality of Carwings when I am North of the Border. But like others here have said, absolutely ridiculous implementation of this system.

In addition, I have to register with the US version of Nissan Connect and I have to have a US based address in order to make that happen. In my case, I have the ability to do these things but for a Canadian who doesn't have either proximity to the border and/or a US based address they can use, you are basically out of luck. Thumbs down Nissan.

At least on the good side of things. With 2015 and up, all upgrades are free.

IF you take it he Nissan in BLaine, they will do it for $200 usd, ( know its more that jonker) but they will do the same work. It will work fine, they just say it may not work as well to cover their butts.. THat sucks Jonker wont do it anymore..
2013 Leaf SV US import

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”