medtech1
Delivery Date: 21 Jul 2016

Re: Telematics upgrade for US import to Canada

Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:02 pm

stonymtnleaf wrote:No luck as yet. One positive development though, today I was able to get into the NissanConnect Owner Portal and accept the conditions and consent buttons so it appears my VIN and/or vehicle is now active there.

However, out in the car, I tried to get CarWings to connect but no success. The screen seemed to be saying "re-enter your Nissan PIN and Password" but I have done that to no apparent effect. Back home, NissanConnect now says my "EV PIN and VIN do not match" so it looks like the TCU was talking to NissanConnect but not sending the appropriate handshake stuff. Either there is still something astray at Nissan's end or maybe I do have to insert my VIN into the new TCU (as above).

Other forums seem to say that it may take 48-72 hours or so for the new 3G data to filter through NissanConnect and get reliable comms established. Will see what happens.

Ah ok.. Are you on the Canadian NissanConnect or US one?

I may follow you in your footsteps.

Update: I purchased one on Ebay... $248 includes shipping/import fees/taxes to my door in Surrey. I already had the 2G unit out on the weekend to check it, and will be able to switch it quickly. I'll snap pictures of the 3G TCU, since I think there's an IMEI number on it etc, that they may need?

stonymtnleaf
Delivery Date: 07 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 026495

Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:52 pm

medtech1 wrote:
stonymtnleaf wrote:No luck as yet. One positive development though, today I was able to get into the NissanConnect Owner Portal and accept the conditions and consent buttons so it appears my VIN and/or vehicle is now active there.

However, out in the car, I tried to get CarWings to connect but no success. The screen seemed to be saying "re-enter your Nissan PIN and Password" but I have done that to no apparent effect. Back home, NissanConnect now says my "EV PIN and VIN do not match" so it looks like the TCU was talking to NissanConnect but not sending the appropriate handshake stuff. Either there is still something astray at Nissan's end or maybe I do have to insert my VIN into the new TCU (as above).

Other forums seem to say that it may take 48-72 hours or so for the new 3G data to filter through NissanConnect and get reliable comms established. Will see what happens.[/quote

Ah ok.. Are you on the Canadian NissanConnect or US one?

I may follow you in your footsteps.

Update: I purchased one on Ebay... $248 includes shipping/import fees/taxes to my door in Surrey. I already had the 2G unit out on the weekend to check it, and will be able to switch it quickly. I'll snap pictures of the 3G TCU, since I think there's an IMEI number on it etc, that they may need?

I am using the US Nissanconnect as that is where the car was connecting OK as late as Jan 7th.

Would that be $248 US$ or CDN$? If the latter, a good deal!

As you have seen, the physical changeover is pretty straightforward. I passed on the "Unit ID", the "TCU ID" and the "SIM ID" to Nissan in hopes of getting things to connect. These items were all filled in with the new info when I powered on the new TCU. The VIN field is still starred out though and I was hoping it would echoed back from Nissan.

I did have a conversation late Friday with a polite and helpful Nissan rep but not much tech help. The suggested solution was to go out and cycle the car on and off four times and then try to connect. Didn't work.

I am now thinking that there must be some way of filling the VIN info at my end to satisfy the connection. I will try on a couple of the Winnipeg Nissan dealers to see if they can help with this.
2012 Leaf SL Silver
Stony Mountain, MB

medtech1

Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:28 pm

Stonymtnleaf:

It may be possible for Canadian Nissan dealers to help. After asking my Nissan dealer a month or so ago about them helping me with the campaign, I rec'd an email late last week saying they may be able to do theTCU upgrade, but the part was not yet available. After all we went though with the work around (and discussions on the facebook TCU upgrade page) receiving this word from a local dealer was not something i expected (but was good news if it works out).

I will touch bases with them this week to confirm more specifics.

Since I ordered it already from Ebay, I'll see if they can help with the rest of it (once its received).

stonymtnleaf
Delivery Date: 07 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 026495

Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:43 pm

Well, another week has gone by. Went back to the same Nissan dealer in Wpg to ask about getting a copy of the PC499 document to see if it had any secrets about installing a new 3G TCU. Ended up talking to the same service manger as before. Got the same "it's a US spec Leaf, can't do a thing" explanation as before. He said that Cdn dealers simply don't have access to the PC499 paperwork. Could make a degree of sense as the 2G telecom service is still working in the GWN (per other reports) and so Nissan Canada probably sees no need to start down the 3G upgrade path here as yet.

Then I got a call back from Nissan USA to talk about my "expedited" service case. They were going to set me up with a dealer in Grand Forks (only 180 miles away) but the dealer there said go back to the original dealer in Minneapolis (600 miles away). Not too practical for an early Leaf.

Then I had a long conversation with a helpful NissanConnect USA lady who seemed quite knowledgeable. She wiped my vehicle from NissanConnect and then rebuilt the account with the same PIN but a new password while I was sitting in the car trying to connect No success. Then she asked if the little car icon on the CarWings page (upper right beside the time of day clock) was alive. Nope, it was greyed out. She said that indicates the TCU is not active. Final recommendation: go to a dealer to have the TCU "turned on".

A bit of RTFM later, I see that page 5-4 of the Nav system manual says a greyed out icon occurs "When the signal reception is bad." Since my cell phone shows 5 bars at the same time (implying good cell tower signal strength), I suppose this could beinterpreted as "TCU is off so reception is bad/nonexistant".

Back on the phone to the service manger (at the original dealer in Minneapolis) to see what can be done. His explanation was that the final step of the 3G upgrade is to "wake up the TCU" by connecting a Nissan supplied computer to the car and sending appropriate commands to the TCU. This apparently is not a user key-stroke in the car process. What I should have asked (but didn't) is if this is to the OBCD port or some other connection to the car. It would be nice if one of the generic OBCD readers would do the job but not clear at this time.

Will try some of the other Wpg dealers next week to see if one of them has the right magic Nissan computer on hand to "wake up" my TCU.

The saga continues ...
2012 Leaf SL Silver
Stony Mountain, MB

baustin
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 402162

Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:28 am

It is Campaign Bulletin PC449 / PC450 (not PC 499). A partial copy of it is located here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/108 ... cement.pdf
The part with the installation instructions was not included (probably not made available to the poster).

Maybe you could get the original dealer to email you a copy of the complete bulletin for the local dealer to use to activate the TCU.
2013 Leaf SV - Cayenne Red - QC Port - LED Headlights

medtech1

Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:49 am

Hopefully the TCU I ordered will come in this week and after the install I'll book an appt with my lower mainland Nissan dealer to see if they can do the remainder of the install. I'll update after that.

tysoncooper
Delivery Date: 06 Feb 2017
Leaf Number: 417340

Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:37 pm

Just a follow on, it's now been just over 2 weeks since I imported my Leaf, having had the TCU upgrade done in Bellingham pre-import.... and the Nissan Connect system is still working as expected... so looks like as long as you can get it done somehow, you'll be fine.

medtech1

Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:22 pm

Tysoncooper... good to know.. thanks :)

jerkwagon
Delivery Date: 28 Feb 2017
Leaf Number: 411662

Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:11 am

Hi everyone, I just picked up a 2013 SV (US import) I am trying to get my carwings to work. So far i have signed up on the canadian site but the vin is invalid.
After reading about the 2g issues. Can anyone tell me what i need to do to get it working? Do i have to make US account? thanks in advnaced
2013 Leaf SV US import

alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:31 am

Based on the experience of a few pioneers like tysoncooper who did the 3G TCU upgrade (required, as Nissan says the 2G original TCU will NOT work in Canada), Carwings seems to be working although many people are frustrated by intermittent operation, having to reset their Carwings connection (via Nav system), 12V low battery flakiness, etc (see here: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=21573)

Assuming your 12V battery is in good condition, you signup for a US account, you get the 3G TCU upgrade done by a dealership with experience, and you cross all your fingers and toes - it should work. At least, it should be about as reliable as Carwings was in the past ;)

I'm still holding out to see if Canadian dealerships will start to offer the TCU upgrade co-pay option, as I can't really spare the time to take a day off work to get the TCU upgrade done at a US dealership. Maybe during Spring Break, haven't decided yet...
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”