Ecopia 422 Plus?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkdbrusco

Ok so, I've managed to get 42K miles out of my stock Ecopia tires, but think that I'll need to bite the bullet and replace them in the next few months. I don't want to mess with my range (as it decrease it any) so I'm going to be sticking with the Ecopia tires. Tirerack has three different Ecopia tires, the regular version (same as on the car) and two plus versions, from what I gather, the two plus versions have different tread life ratings. The prices of all three are within $7 of each other, so I'm not really concerned with that. My question is whether anyone has noticed a range hit on the Ecopia Plus tires vs. the regular ones? I know that there will be some hit to range considering that they are new soft tires and more rolling resistance, but anything other than that? I'm likely gonna sell the car within 12-18 months when I get my Model 3, so regardless of the tire I buy, they won't need to last me very long.

Ecopia + is the one(and only one they had) I got for my Leaf after ~20k with the stock tires. I sure hope they last longer, it sounds like they are supposed to, and personally for the few bucks it sounds like they may be more at TireRack, I go with those. I mean it sounds like you personally might not be able to benefit from the longer life, but again for the small difference in price the next guy would sure thank you :)
I'm jealous you got 42k on your stock Ecopia's, mine started showing wear on the outer edges at ~10k any by 15k they were quite bad. I rotated them to the rear where they and the now fronts got so bad by 20k I didn't want to trust them for the winter :(
So far the Ecopia +'s I got from Costco look like new but then they've got less than 5k so I'd hope so, time will tell but again for the small difference in price I'd probably go with the better tires. Personally I was really looking at the Michelin's which had a higher tread wear and I've had very good luck with them but I just couldn't justify the $100+ more it would have cost over the Ecopia's which again I've been told the +'s are much?? better than the OEM Ecopia's.

When my Leaf needed new shoes, I didn't notice any significant range loss (if any at all) when I went to the Ecopia +.

BTW if you have a Costco membership, Costco does stock the Ecopia + (or did as of summer 2015) and while it was not necessarily any cheaper than TR, I didn't have to find a reputable installer either. IIRC it was something like $509 for 4 new tires installed including taxes, eco-fees, etc. that was with the $70 off 4 tires discount that Costco offers on a rotating basis between Bridgestone and MIchelin brands.

RonDawg said:
When my Leaf needed new shoes, I didn't notice any significant range loss (if any at all) when I went to the Ecopia +.

BTW if you have a Costco membership, Costco does stock the Ecopia + (or did as of summer 2015) and while it was not necessarily any cheaper than TR, I didn't have to find a reputable installer either. IIRC it was something like $509 for 4 new tires installed including taxes, eco-fees, etc. that was with the $70 off 4 tires discount that Costco offers on a rotating basis between Bridgestone and MIchelin brands.
Yes Costco is where I got my Ecopia +'s, it was the only Ecopia's they sold AFAIK. I also recommend Costco, not only was the price very competitive(with the $70 off with the purchase of 4 tire deal, which they do almost all the time) I also liked their price on mounting/balancing/road hazard/disposal, which I believe was $15/tire. My only complaint with Costco is they are literally busy ALL the time! Appointments normally are several weeks out, if you show up before noon(preferably 1/2hr before they even open) you can get in for same day appointments as reservations don't start until after noon(or noon). Besides the Ecopia's(70k mile warranty $478 for 4 total) I looked at the Michelin Defenders(90k mile warranty $547 for 4 total).

Thanks everyone. I'm hoping to get a few thousand more out of the stock tires, but we have a baby due in May, so I am definitely going to replace them soon. Just not a safe situation. I dropped my costco membership since we never used it much. May need to look into it again though. Tirerack was $104/ea for the ecopia+ with the highest mileage number. With shipping it was $480 and luckily their local installer is my regular mechanic (for our ICE car) and I think he charged $25/tire to install from tire rack, so basically $580 all said and done. If costco's difference is less than or equal to the price of a membership, then I guess that makes my mind up.

I think I got the miles out of them by rotating them diligently every 7500 and keeping them at 42psi. Also I drive the leaf like a grandma and average 5.0/mi/kwh so that probably helps too. I am noticing some additional outside wear on the fronts again, but probably won't bother with another rotation since I'll swap them by March/April.

The $478 I quoted for the Ecopia +'s from Costco was the total out the door price(and when I say out the door I mean mounted and balanced, not carried out the door). Not sure if Costco prices vary by location though......and mine did include the $70 credit for purchasing 4 tires.

Back