Nissan Leaf TCU 3g Upgrade/Replacement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesh

The short story:
Had the TCU (TCM?) upgrade completed on my 2013 Leaf. After the upgrade, I had to go into the carwings settings and log-in to the system again. This was easy as the log-in information was already stored, so I just had to hit the button. It went through some communication process, and from inside the car, I turned on the EV Connect app and was able to warm up the car. Yes!

The Long Story:
I originally took my car into the dealership in December (Future Nissan of Roseville) for a seatbelt issue, but also requested the upgrade of the TCU. They were super cool and gave me a free rental, yet the next day told me the TCU had already been upgraded. I was skeptical as I purchased this car in 2015 as a two year lease return. Regardless, they did not charge me for the new seatbelt (though they tried to blame it on my "I Can't Believe It's Not Leather" seat covers.
Naturally, in a couple weeks the EV Connect (Carwings) was not working. I tried several quick fixes before calling Nissan. The number on the Nissan Connect site was able to verify, by the TCU number, that it was not upgraded. So, back to the dealership I go. Fortunately, I work one mile away, so I schedule my appointments on days with no rain, and walk to work from the dealership. When I picked it up I was told it could take as long as 48 hrs to reset (whatever). The next day I tried to start the climate control but no dice. I followed the advice of someone who had posted in the comments section of an article about the TCU (see above) and it worked perfectly.
I know this topic has been beaten to death, but It is unfortunate that the Best Selling ev in the world has dealerships that know so little about the car. I am sure this may be different in bigger markets, such as LA and SF, but I hope that as evs become more common, this become less of an issue.
Still love the car!

Side note. How do you like Nissan of Roseville? I mean like overall. I am in the Folsom area and thinking about going to Roseville instead of Folsom Nissan.

I just had my TCU installed. I live in SoCal, and my dealer was knowledgeable about the problem. I was lucky in that they had one part left. I didn't ask first, but I was on a time crunch :eek: .

I just had mine replaced by Autonation Nissan in Tempe, AZ. I dropped my 2013 off at 7AM, and it was ready to be picked up at 11AM. I entered my Carwings information soon after picking it up and it seems to be working perfectly. This service department seems to know what they need to do to get it up and running, so I recommend them!

Bought my 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 12/31/2016. have since then paid $200 for a TCU upgrade. Worked for a week or so and now is not working. My 12 volt batter reads 12.56 volts. Over the phone say said the TCU is faulty but i beleive the whole network for NissanConnect is faulty. If not, then how could the TCU still update the nearest stations without any problems but Starting climate control from online (app or computer) gives so many issues?

I did the upgrade in January. Didn't work so I got on the help line and they walked me through setting everything. Worked great for about a week. It has been spotty ever since. Cannot connect 90% of the time from my laptop or smartphone. I set options to send emails and text my phone. I don't get any text messages. The only remote that functions regularly is it does send me an email in the early AM when the charging is done. Other than that it is hit and miss.........

TheTeslaDream said:
Bought my 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 12/31/2016. have since then paid $200 for a TCU upgrade. Worked for a week or so and now is not working. My 12 volt batter reads 12.56 volts. Over the phone say said the TCU is faulty but i beleive the whole network for NissanConnect is faulty. If not, then how could the TCU still update the nearest stations without any problems but Starting climate control from online (app or computer) gives so many issues?
I have been doing testing of Carwings vs. 12v system voltage. Around 12.5v is where I've decided my TCU gets unreliable. Since I have upgraded my 12v battery my Carwings has worked 100%.

You can see my posts in this thread starting here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=21573&start=510#p482808

Since then, about 5 or more people have reported that charging or replacing their 12v fixed Carwings for them. I have mentioned it to a similar number of people on the Facebook group and they reported that it fixed theirs also.

I just had mine US model in Canada done by Jonker Nissan Nissan in Surrey BC. Everything is working perfectly after 2 hrs job. Total my cost 220 CDN including tax. The also reprogram passenger seat sensor as per recall.

tszukow said:
I just had mine US model in Canada done by Jonker Nissan Nissan in Surrey BC. Everything is working perfectly after 2 hrs job. Total my cost 220 CDN including tax. The also reprogram passenger seat sensor as per recall.

wow thats great news, did you have to do anything special? how long did it take for the part ot come in, i have an appointment tuesday in bellingham but if i can just goto surrey and save about 70$ that would be great! can you PM me your detail or just post them herE?

@tszukow, do you mind posting here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=23248&start=110

There are a bunch of Canadian owners of US Leafs in the same situation who would appreciate the details of how you talked a Surrey dealer to do the TCU copay replacement.

Thanks!

alozzy said:
@tszukow, do you mind posting here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=23248&start=110

There are a bunch of Canadian owners of US Leafs in the same situation who would appreciate the details of how you talked a Surrey dealer to do the TCU copay replacement.

Thanks!

I took mine in to Jonker as well, they said the same thing. Took down my info on the TCU, ordered the new part, told me about the $200 cnd charge..

Bought a 2012 Leaf in October of 2016. Used the Carwings/Remote Connect 'til it died. I thought it was a great feature.

Therefore, I went for the Upgrade on March 2 of this year. The tech said he didn't have time to spend waiting on the unit to "RE-Sync" or something like that, and told me that if it doesn't start working by itself in 24 hours, "call the support people".

I've had a ticket with them since MARCH 8, it's not working yet, THE ONLY FOLKS I CAN TALK TO is the TIER 1 Support folks. I've complained and moaned for the longest, but it's just not getting fixed. I would sure like to talk to someone who can see what it's doing when I attempt to use it, rather that someone at the support level of "Is it plugged in?"

Do any of you guys have a specific place I could contact for an EXECUTIVE COMPLAINT on this matter?

I've kinda had it.

Near beginning of March, my new 3G TCU finally started working again, after it took Nissan several weeks to realize a mistakenly entered ID into their server. No issues since then until a couple days ago.

Now the vehicle is clearly connecting to the server, but any commands sent from the app or website come back with a time out error. Anyone else experiencing issues? I hope it won't take months to fix again...

jdcbomb said:
Near beginning of March, my new 3G TCU finally started working again, after it took Nissan several weeks to realize a mistakenly entered ID into their server. No issues since then until a couple days ago.

Now the vehicle is clearly connecting to the server, but any commands sent from the app or website come back with a time out error. Anyone else experiencing issues? I hope it won't take months to fix again...

I just requested status update using Android app on my BlackBerry--updated OK. You could try pulling the fuse for the telematics unit or disconnecting the 12-volt battery to reset the telematics unit.

leafgak said:
Bought a 2012 Leaf in October of 2016. Used the Carwings/Remote Connect 'til it died. I thought it was a great feature.

Therefore, I went for the Upgrade on March 2 of this year. The tech said he didn't have time to spend waiting on the unit to "RE-Sync" or something like that, and told me that if it doesn't start working by itself in 24 hours, "call the support people".

I've had a ticket with them since MARCH 8, it's not working yet, THE ONLY FOLKS I CAN TALK TO is the TIER 1 Support folks. I've complained and moaned for the longest, but it's just not getting fixed. I would sure like to talk to someone who can see what it's doing when I attempt to use it, rather that someone at the support level of "Is it plugged in?"
I used mine until around 1st week of Jan 2017 when it stopped working, which was later than I expected.

I finally went for the upgrade to the 3G-capable TCU in mid-March and when it didn't work right off the bat, I was told it could take 24 to 48 hours. Well, still doesn't work and fails to connect, often w/an error containing (B02).

My saga is at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=21573&p=491430&hilit=b02#p491430. I'm taking the car in tomorrow morning, finally.

GerryAZ said:
jdcbomb said:

I just requested status update using Android app on my BlackBerry--updated OK. You could try pulling the fuse for the telematics unit or disconnecting the 12-volt battery to reset the telematics unit.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I didn't do anything to the fuse and just a couple days ago the app and website started working again. Sounds like an outage on the server side after I opened another ticket with NissanConnect support. Have no other details as to why / where the issue or the scope of it...kinda sad the service just goes down randomly.

OK, After almost a full month , I was advised by the Telephone Contact to take it back to the dealer 'cause they think the installed TCU 3G unit was defective.

So, I did, and it was.

Just got it back this afternoon and it seems to work just fine.

Now I've got to look into the RSS Feeds 'cause I never explored that before.

Back