What is your GOM reading after a full charge. 30 KWH BATT

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webeleafowners

Hi folks. Curious what people are seeing on their GOM's after a 100 per cent charge. Does it change much between cold (sub freezing) and say pleasant short sleeve type temps? All we have ever driven in is sub freezing temps so curious what's normal.

2016 30 KWH SV.

Thanks in advance.

John and Angela.

Battery capacity is measured in kWh, NOT "KW".

Why does it really matter? We've had threads trading numbers on 24 kWh Leafs like these.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=12899
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=16253

We've owned our Leaf for about a week, so I can't say whether it changes with the weather, but after a full charge the GOM usually in the 130-135 range. Seems more or less accurate too! Definitely loving the Leaf so far. :D

Thanks for the response. We are in Canada so ours is in kilometers so we are seeing 194 or so about 121 miles. But it has been cold here and I'm starting to think that affects the GOM's calculations as well.

But yes it seems fairly accurate after a couple longer trips of mixed driving. We have only had ours a few months but love the car.

May I ask where you are located? Temperature etc?

I'm in Raleigh NC, part of the southeastern US. Temperatures have been unseasonably warm here lately, we've been having roughly 75F days. Typical weather is more like 40-50F around this time of year. Not sure what else I can share that would be relevant... we drive the car pretty evenly split between urban/suburban/country driving and try to stay off the highway, that probably also factors in to the GOM number?

I'm guessing just being gentle on the accel/brake pedals whenever possible has the greatest impact on actual range.

Our Leaf was built on 11/16 so maybe we're getting a few extra miles from the battery still being just a few months old.

BenTheRighteous said:
I'm in Raleigh NC, part of the southeastern US. Temperatures have been unseasonably warm here lately, we've been having roughly 75F days. Typical weather is more like 40-50F around this time of year. Not sure what else I can share that would be relevant... we drive the car pretty evenly split between urban/suburban/country driving and try to stay off the highway, that probably also factors in to the GOM number?

I'm guessing just being gentle on the accel/brake pedals whenever possible has the greatest impact on actual range.

Our Leaf was built on 11/16 so maybe we're getting a few extra miles from the battery still being just a few months old.

Thank you again for the reply. It is around or below freezing here right now. Enjoying the pre-heat feature. Ours was built in 4/2016. My guess is the range on the GOM will vary with the temperature. It does on our smart ED electric for sure. Time will tell. So much to learn yet.

Enjoy your day.

John and Angela in Canada.

Well yes, range is certainly affected by temperature. But the GOM also takes into account other power draws - specifically heater, seat warmers, and steering wheel warmer. Those other power draws reduce both your real range and the range estimated by the GOM.

Dooglas said:
Well yes, range is certainly affected by temperature. But the GOM also takes into account other power draws - specifically heater, seat warmers, and steering wheel warmer. Those other power draws reduce both your real range and the range estimated by the GOM.

That makes sense. Does it look at the last time you drove or does it use some sort of running average etc. Thanks for the response. Interesting stuff.

John

If you want a high GOM reading, drive down a long hill/grade and charge to full at the bottom.

If you want a low GOM reading, race up a steep hill w/the heater blasting at full and charge at the top.

It's not really worth the time to compare GOM readings. Someone that charges to full after always having to go down a grade is always going to have a high GOM reading. Vice versa is true.

cwerdna said:
If you want a high GOM reading, drive down a long hill/grade and charge to full at the bottom.

If you want a low GOM reading, race up a steep hill w/the heater blasting at full and charge at the top.

It's not really worth the time to compare GOM readings. Someone that charges to full after always having to go down a grade is always going to have a high GOM reading. Vice versa is true.

Ok. So I'm gathering it is kinda like our smart ED. It looks at how you drove the last trip and gives a number from. Gotta say though. So far it is pretty close to what the actual turns out to be at the end of the trip.

Thanks for the response.

John

If I drive up a steep highway hill (e.g. highway 17 towards Santa Cruz, CA), the GOM might drop 40 miles after driving only 10. If I drive on the highway, in general, the GOM will count down faster than the traveled miles.

I've driven my (24 kWh) Leaf w/a starting GOM value of 80 miles for 8 miles to have it rise to 88.

See why Tony posted http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=271853#p271853?

cwerdna said:
If I drive up a steep highway hill (e.g. highway 17 towards Santa Cruz, CA), the GOM might drop 40 miles after driving only 10. If I drive on the highway, in general, the GOM will count down faster than the traveled miles.

I've driven my (24 kWh) Leaf w/a starting GOM value of 80 miles for 8 miles to have it rise to 88.

See why Tony posted http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=271853#p271853?

Thanks for the link. Interesting reading. It will be interesting to see how it changes as it gets warmer. We did a 120 KM mixed highway/city trip in just below freezing temps and had 31 percent left on the battery. Some heat although we were dressed for the cold and didn't have it on much. Seat warmers were nice and the heated steering was great. We have done a couple similar trips with similar results. Better than my expectations. Very happy campers.

I have a 2016 S-30.

In warm weather (60-70 degF ambient) I see around 125. Highest I've seen so far was 133.

In cold weather (30-40 degF ambient) I see 118 to 125.

Hi,
Sorry to Hijack the thread, but I am a new owner of a 30kw Leaf with a similar query to the Op.
I have tried to search for information on my query, but this thread was the closest match

I picked up my new Leaf yesterday which had a total of 142 miles on the Display after being charged at the dealer on a rapid charger.
After driving it around very economically ( we have driven other EV's Previously) , we set it to charge over night from a Type 1 Tethered home connection.

The battery had charged to 100% but was only showing 112 miles.
We dropped my son off at work and returned home, a journey of 25 miles. The display now showed 85 miles. which was pretty accurate.

I have set the car to charge and its saying it will take 3 hours. From my calculations it will put around 10miles on every hour meaning that the display will only show around 117 (if I am lucky).

from what I have briefly read the Display (GOM?) is not to be trusted and can show different mileage dependant on how you drive the car.

We also own a Tesla and a full charge always shows the same amount of mileage available, give or take a couple of miles, although this will only change once we start to drive.

Is the GOM really that sensitive that the fully charged display can differ by 30-40 miles when only a day old.

Yes, I am a newbie, please go easy :)

GOM = Guess O Meter :)

And yes, it is reliably inaccurate if you are looking for an actual range you can count on. If on the other hand, you want to know how far you could drive based on your most recent driving habits and conditions, I would say the GOM is OK. It's a guide, just don't take it literally. I tend to rely more on the battery percent remaining than anything else.

Happy Leafing!

Bufordleaf said:
GOM = Guess O Meter :)

And yes, it is reliably inaccurate if you are looking for an actual range you can count on. If on the other hand, you want to know how far you could drive based on your most recent driving habits and conditions, I would say the GOM is OK. It's a guide, just don't take it literally. I tend to rely more on the battery percent remaining than anything else.

Happy Leafing!

Yah I think that is a good summary of how we see it now. I tend to always drive the same...cruise control junky so although it is creeping up as the weather warms up (less Heater usage) the GOM is pretty consistent. We don't often fill to 100 percent but did yesterday and this time it was 198 km. About 5 degrees celcius here.

actionorton said:
from what I have briefly read the Display (GOM?) is not to be trusted and can show different mileage dependant on how you drive the car.
Well, yes, the GOM reading will vary depending on how you drive the car, and what power drawing accessories you have turned on. But the actual distance you can drive will vary based on those factors as well. Between the GOM and the actual charge remaining on the battery, you pretty much have all the information you are going to get.

Dooglas said:
actionorton said:
Well, yes, the GOM reading will vary depending on how you drive the car, and what power drawing accessories you have turned on. But the actual distance you can drive will vary based on those factors as well. Between the GOM and the actual charge remaining on the battery, you pretty much have all the information you are going to get.

Yah. It is a good indicator but of course depends a lot on the persons driving habits, temps etc.

Today we did a 128 km round trip probable 60/40 highway/city. We always set the cruise at 2 or 3 km above the speed limit and the speed limits are between 50 KMH and 90 KMH. 5 degrees celcius here today. We started at 98 percent and 192 Km and finished at 65 Km so pretty much bang on. We are in hilly country here but no long climbs. We are trusting the GOM more and more...at least at these temps.

actionorton said:
We also own a Tesla and a full charge always shows the same amount of mileage available, give or take a couple of miles, although this will only change once we start to drive.

Is the GOM really that sensitive that the fully charged display can differ by 30-40 miles when only a day old.

The LEAF invented (and earned) the GOM moniker. I'm not going to tell you my GOM data on my new 2017 LEAF with 30kWh battery, since there is just no reason to. It provides no useful comparison data, except to say that if I previously drove fast / carelessly, and you drove cautiously, your GOM will be higher than mine.

Does that tell you anything about the battery?

I have a Tesla, also, and Tesla uses "Rated Range" that is dependent on whatever the EPA value is. My S-70D is rated at 240 miles, so a full charge when new was 240 miles (plus or minus a few).

Now, at almost two years, it's about 230 miles.

big_headed_tiny_dog_chasing_tail_lg_nwm.gif

I drive up and down big hills (2000 ft. elevation change). I can almost coast downhill for the first 10 miles. The GOM is sensitive to the last few miles you have driven and bases its range estimate on that. I start out with a full charge and the GOM reading 88 miles. By the time I get down the hill, it reads 108 typically and I've seen it as high as 122. At this point the % of battery is still around 93-95%. If I go back up that hill, I'd better have at least 25% left if I want to make it home no matter what the GOM says! I average 3.8mi/KWH day in and day out and that's over 25,000 miles so far. In terms of real range I figure 85 to 90 mi. I have driven it down to turtle twice and that's where I ended up as well. If you drive on level ground at moderate speeds without much wind, the GOM is relatively accurate. Under any other conditions YMMV. If I were you, I'd ignore the GOM and go by the % gauge.

Back