cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Re: What is your GOM reading after a full charge. 30 KWH BATT

Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:52 pm

If I drive up a steep highway hill (e.g. highway 17 towards Santa Cruz, CA), the GOM might drop 40 miles after driving only 10. If I drive on the highway, in general, the GOM will count down faster than the traveled miles.

I've driven my (24 kWh) Leaf w/a starting GOM value of 80 miles for 8 miles to have it rise to 88.

See why Tony posted viewtopic.php?p=271853#p271853?

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

webeleafowners
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015

Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:44 pm

cwerdna wrote:If I drive up a steep highway hill (e.g. highway 17 towards Santa Cruz, CA), the GOM might drop 40 miles after driving only 10. If I drive on the highway, in general, the GOM will count down faster than the traveled miles.

I've driven my (24 kWh) Leaf w/a starting GOM value of 80 miles for 8 miles to have it rise to 88.

See why Tony posted viewtopic.php?p=271853#p271853?

Thanks for the link. Interesting reading. It will be interesting to see how it changes as it gets warmer. We did a 120 KM mixed highway/city trip in just below freezing temps and had 31 percent left on the battery. Some heat although we were dressed for the cold and didn't have it on much. Seat warmers were nice and the heated steering was great. We have done a couple similar trips with similar results. Better than my expectations. Very happy campers.
2015 Smart Electric Drive convertible.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KW
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

twentysixteen
Delivery Date: 17 Feb 2017

Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:01 pm

I have a 2016 S-30.

In warm weather (60-70 degF ambient) I see around 125. Highest I've seen so far was 133.

In cold weather (30-40 degF ambient) I see 118 to 125.

actionorton
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2017
Leaf Number: 066140

Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:35 am

Hi,
Sorry to Hijack the thread, but I am a new owner of a 30kw Leaf with a similar query to the Op.
I have tried to search for information on my query, but this thread was the closest match

I picked up my new Leaf yesterday which had a total of 142 miles on the Display after being charged at the dealer on a rapid charger.
After driving it around very economically ( we have driven other EV's Previously) , we set it to charge over night from a Type 1 Tethered home connection.

The battery had charged to 100% but was only showing 112 miles.
We dropped my son off at work and returned home, a journey of 25 miles. The display now showed 85 miles. which was pretty accurate.

I have set the car to charge and its saying it will take 3 hours. From my calculations it will put around 10miles on every hour meaning that the display will only show around 117 (if I am lucky).

from what I have briefly read the Display (GOM?) is not to be trusted and can show different mileage dependant on how you drive the car.

We also own a Tesla and a full charge always shows the same amount of mileage available, give or take a couple of miles, although this will only change once we start to drive.

Is the GOM really that sensitive that the fully charged display can differ by 30-40 miles when only a day old.

Yes, I am a newbie, please go easy :-)

Bufordleaf
Delivery Date: 20 Dec 2014

Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:53 am

GOM = Guess O Meter :-)

And yes, it is reliably inaccurate if you are looking for an actual range you can count on. If on the other hand, you want to know how far you could drive based on your most recent driving habits and conditions, I would say the GOM is OK. It's a guide, just don't take it literally. I tend to rely more on the battery percent remaining than anything else.

Happy Leafing!
2015 Leaf S with QC

webeleafowners

Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:30 am

Bufordleaf wrote:GOM = Guess O Meter :-)

And yes, it is reliably inaccurate if you are looking for an actual range you can count on. If on the other hand, you want to know how far you could drive based on your most recent driving habits and conditions, I would say the GOM is OK. It's a guide, just don't take it literally. I tend to rely more on the battery percent remaining than anything else.

Happy Leafing!

Yah I think that is a good summary of how we see it now. I tend to always drive the same...cruise control junky so although it is creeping up as the weather warms up (less Heater usage) the GOM is pretty consistent. We don't often fill to 100 percent but did yesterday and this time it was 198 km. About 5 degrees celcius here.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KW

Dooglas
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 314779

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:11 pm

actionorton wrote:from what I have briefly read the Display (GOM?) is not to be trusted and can show different mileage dependant on how you drive the car.

Well, yes, the GOM reading will vary depending on how you drive the car, and what power drawing accessories you have turned on. But the actual distance you can drive will vary based on those factors as well. Between the GOM and the actual charge remaining on the battery, you pretty much have all the information you are going to get.
2013 Leaf SV - lease ended, 2016 Leaf S30

webeleafowners

Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:35 pm

Dooglas wrote:
actionorton wrote:from what I have briefly read the Display (GOM?) is not to be trusted and can show different mileage dependant on how you drive the car.

Well, yes, the GOM reading will vary depending on how you drive the car, and what power drawing accessories you have turned on. But the actual distance you can drive will vary based on those factors as well. Between the GOM and the actual charge remaining on the battery, you pretty much have all the information you are going to get.

Yah. It is a good indicator but of course depends a lot on the persons driving habits, temps etc.

Today we did a 128 km round trip probable 60/40 highway/city. We always set the cruise at 2 or 3 km above the speed limit and the speed limits are between 50 KMH and 90 KMH. 5 degrees celcius here today. We started at 98 percent and 192 Km and finished at 65 Km so pretty much bang on. We are in hilly country here but no long climbs. We are trusting the GOM more and more...at least at these temps.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KW

TonyWilliams

Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:35 pm

actionorton wrote:We also own a Tesla and a full charge always shows the same amount of mileage available, give or take a couple of miles, although this will only change once we start to drive.

Is the GOM really that sensitive that the fully charged display can differ by 30-40 miles when only a day old.

The LEAF invented (and earned) the GOM moniker. I'm not going to tell you my GOM data on my new 2017 LEAF with 30kWh battery, since there is just no reason to. It provides no useful comparison data, except to say that if I previously drove fast / carelessly, and you drove cautiously, your GOM will be higher than mine.

Does that tell you anything about the battery?

I have a Tesla, also, and Tesla uses "Rated Range" that is dependent on whatever the EPA value is. My S-70D is rated at 240 miles, so a full charge when new was 240 miles (plus or minus a few).

Now, at almost two years, it's about 230 miles.

johnlocke
Delivery Date: 14 Dec 2015
Leaf Number: 300582

Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:58 am

I drive up and down big hills (2000 ft. elevation change). I can almost coast downhill for the first 10 miles. The GOM is sensitive to the last few miles you have driven and bases its range estimate on that. I start out with a full charge and the GOM reading 88 miles. By the time I get down the hill, it reads 108 typically and I've seen it as high as 122. At this point the % of battery is still around 93-95%. If I go back up that hill, I'd better have at least 25% left if I want to make it home no matter what the GOM says! I average 3.8mi/KWH day in and day out and that's over 25,000 miles so far. In terms of real range I figure 85 to 90 mi. I have driven it down to turtle twice and that's where I ended up as well. If you drive on level ground at moderate speeds without much wind, the GOM is relatively accurate. Under any other conditions YMMV. If I were you, I'd ignore the GOM and go by the % gauge.
Jamul, CA
San Diego East County

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”