webeleafowners
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:37 pm
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015
Location: Okanagan Valley British Columbia

What is your GOM reading after a full charge. 30 KWH BATT

Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:37 pm

Hi folks. Curious what people are seeing on their GOM's after a 100 per cent charge. Does it change much between cold (sub freezing) and say pleasant short sleeve type temps? All we have ever driven in is sub freezing temps so curious what's normal.

2016 30 KWH SV.


Thanks in advance.

John and Angela.
Last edited by webeleafowners on Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
2015 Smart Electric Drive convertible.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KW
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

cwerdna
Gold Member
Posts: 7185
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: What is your GOM reading after a full charge. 30 KW BATT

Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:51 pm

Battery capacity is measured in kWh, NOT "KW".

Why does it really matter? We've had threads trading numbers on 24 kWh Leafs like these.
viewtopic.php?t=12899
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=16253

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

BenTheRighteous
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:36 am
Delivery Date: 14 Feb 2017
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: What is your GOM reading after a full charge. 30 KW BATT

Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:11 am

We've owned our Leaf for about a week, so I can't say whether it changes with the weather, but after a full charge the GOM usually in the 130-135 range. Seems more or less accurate too! Definitely loving the Leaf so far. :D
2017 Leaf S
OpenEVSE P50-D WiFi Kit
Raleigh, NC
USA

webeleafowners
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:37 pm
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015
Location: Okanagan Valley British Columbia

Re: What is your GOM reading after a full charge. 30 KW BATT

Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:24 am

Thanks for the response. We are in Canada so ours is in kilometers so we are seeing 194 or so about 121 miles. But it has been cold here and I'm starting to think that affects the GOM's calculations as well.

But yes it seems fairly accurate after a couple longer trips of mixed driving. We have only had ours a few months but love the car.

May I ask where you are located? Temperature etc?
2015 Smart Electric Drive convertible.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KW
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

BenTheRighteous
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:36 am
Delivery Date: 14 Feb 2017
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: What is your GOM reading after a full charge. 30 KWH BATT

Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:29 am

I'm in Raleigh NC, part of the southeastern US. Temperatures have been unseasonably warm here lately, we've been having roughly 75F days. Typical weather is more like 40-50F around this time of year. Not sure what else I can share that would be relevant... we drive the car pretty evenly split between urban/suburban/country driving and try to stay off the highway, that probably also factors in to the GOM number?

I'm guessing just being gentle on the accel/brake pedals whenever possible has the greatest impact on actual range.

Our Leaf was built on 11/16 so maybe we're getting a few extra miles from the battery still being just a few months old.
2017 Leaf S
OpenEVSE P50-D WiFi Kit
Raleigh, NC
USA

webeleafowners
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:37 pm
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015
Location: Okanagan Valley British Columbia

Re: What is your GOM reading after a full charge. 30 KWH BATT

Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:42 am

BenTheRighteous wrote:I'm in Raleigh NC, part of the southeastern US. Temperatures have been unseasonably warm here lately, we've been having roughly 75F days. Typical weather is more like 40-50F around this time of year. Not sure what else I can share that would be relevant... we drive the car pretty evenly split between urban/suburban/country driving and try to stay off the highway, that probably also factors in to the GOM number?

I'm guessing just being gentle on the accel/brake pedals whenever possible has the greatest impact on actual range.

Our Leaf was built on 11/16 so maybe we're getting a few extra miles from the battery still being just a few months old.


Thank you again for the reply. It is around or below freezing here right now. Enjoying the pre-heat feature. Ours was built in 4/2016. My guess is the range on the GOM will vary with the temperature. It does on our smart ED electric for sure. Time will tell. So much to learn yet.

Enjoy your day.

John and Angela in Canada.
2015 Smart Electric Drive convertible.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KW
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

Dooglas
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:08 pm
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 314779
Location: Oregon City, OR

Re: What is your GOM reading after a full charge. 30 KWH BATT

Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:33 am

Well yes, range is certainly affected by temperature. But the GOM also takes into account other power draws - specifically heater, seat warmers, and steering wheel warmer. Those other power draws reduce both your real range and the range estimated by the GOM.
2013 Leaf SV - lease ended, 2016 Leaf S30

webeleafowners
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:37 pm
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015
Location: Okanagan Valley British Columbia

Re: What is your GOM reading after a full charge. 30 KWH BATT

Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:35 am

Dooglas wrote:Well yes, range is certainly affected by temperature. But the GOM also takes into account other power draws - specifically heater, seat warmers, and steering wheel warmer. Those other power draws reduce both your real range and the range estimated by the GOM.


That makes sense. Does it look at the last time you drove or does it use some sort of running average etc. Thanks for the response. Interesting stuff.

John
2015 Smart Electric Drive convertible.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KW
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

cwerdna
Gold Member
Posts: 7185
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: What is your GOM reading after a full charge. 30 KWH BATT

Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:16 pm

If you want a high GOM reading, drive down a long hill/grade and charge to full at the bottom.

If you want a low GOM reading, race up a steep hill w/the heater blasting at full and charge at the top.

It's not really worth the time to compare GOM readings. Someone that charges to full after always having to go down a grade is always going to have a high GOM reading. Vice versa is true.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

webeleafowners
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:37 pm
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015
Location: Okanagan Valley British Columbia

Re: What is your GOM reading after a full charge. 30 KWH BATT

Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:46 pm

cwerdna wrote:If you want a high GOM reading, drive down a long hill/grade and charge to full at the bottom.

If you want a low GOM reading, race up a steep hill w/the heater blasting at full and charge at the top.

It's not really worth the time to compare GOM readings. Someone that charges to full after always having to go down a grade is always going to have a high GOM reading. Vice versa is true.


Ok. So I'm gathering it is kinda like our smart ED. It looks at how you drove the last trip and gives a number from. Gotta say though. So far it is pretty close to what the actual turns out to be at the end of the trip.

Thanks for the response.

John
2015 Smart Electric Drive convertible.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KW
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”