Range in very cold weather

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binks

I am looking at buying a Leaf S or Leaf SV and I want to know how the range is when it's very cold. I live in Ottawa and currently it is -20C.

It can be -25C for a month in the winter so I need to know how this will affect the range.

Does buying the SV have any advantage?

The range chart here might help.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=4295

It would also help to know whether you're talking about a new model or a used 2013-2015 Leaf. The SV and SL models have a heat pump which is a power saver for heat, especially when temperatures are above -5C or so.

With an older 24kWh Leaf, I would say your top range with moderate heat will be in the 70km area, but consult the chart with your data to be sure. What is your required range - and do you know whether workplace charging is available or an option?

Well, we haven't had our 2016 SV very long but we have done a few cold weather trips between Vernon and Kelowna and back....so about 120 Km. Each. One trip was at about minus minus 8 or so. I think our GOM was around 190 km range when we left and around 50 km range when we got back. We were dressed for the cold so didn't use the heat a lot but we did use the heated seats for a while and I used the heated steering wheel on and off. If you know the route it is about 50/50 highway/city and the highway is a 90kmh limit. I am by nature a very easy going driver and my cruise is always set about 1 KMH over the limit. The car started out in a reasonably warm (plus seven degrees) garage.

Hope that helps.

The heatpump is a great advantage for cold to moderate Winter temps, when running the heat isn't vital but is important for comfort. When temps fall below about -5C, the advantage drops off, and when you get to whatever 14F is in Celsius, then it's virtually gone - when compared to the 2013+ air-heating resistance heater.

powersurge said:
I would never buy a Leaf if the temps are -20.... why? The battery will be mostly used for heating....

You can make that about 1/4-1/3 for heating the cabin, by using the seat and wheel heaters, and running the heat on the lowest setting, floor only, partial recirculate engaged.

I don't care if everyone disagrees, This nice poster should not be encouraged to buy a Leaf in Canada where it is -20.

Other than having the WOW factor of having an electric car, there is no benefit of a Leaf in either tropical or frigid climates.

Especially if you have a young kid, you want to BLOW THE HEAT to make the car toasty and warm... Stick with a nice ICE man -- with free unlimited heat and all the range you need....

powersurge said:
Stick with a nice ICE man -- with free unlimited heat and all the range you need....
If I had range concerns, wanted unlimited heat in a cold climate, and economy/environment was a consideration - I'd be talking about a PHEV. And I'm sure that is why PHEV's sell so well in Scandinavia.

My work + taking my kid to daycare is only 15km from my house. 30km both ways.

Even if I go out shopping in Winter I would be under 40km

Heated seats probably won't help if a child is in a car seat.

With that kind of range and being familiar with the Ottawa climate from my military days there would be absolutely NO reason where a 2017 leaf would not serve your needs. My guess us you would need to charge every third day during the 4 cold months and probably max twice a week the rest of the year.

Just looking at the numbers this morning from the last charge till now, maybe four or 5 days, mostly below zero and today slightly above, I would easily get 160 km out if this charge and probably closer to 180 km. About half highway, half city. Having said that highway speeds are max 90 here and I must be an easy driver as two or three trees on the "Eco meter thingy" is common for us.

Just my two cents.

John and Angela.

Funny, I'm wondering if the OP's handle derives from Jar Jar... :)

Was pointed out to me the front of the Leaf looks like that of Jar Jar Binks.
https://priuschat.com/threads/star-trek-related-specials-documentaries-discussion.100859/page-3#post-2423421 :shock:

Only you can answer the range question. Everyone drives differently, everyone has different ideas about how much overhead they need after completing the journey, every location is different with different speed limits and hills. Take a test drive and figure it out yourself. Any dealer worth buying from will let you take the car for 24 hours.

VitaminJ said:
Only you can answer the range question. Everyone drives differently, everyone has different ideas about how much overhead they need after completing the journey, every location is different with different speed limits and hills. Take a test drive and figure it out yourself. Any dealer worth buying from will let you take the car for 24 hours.

Best reply yet.

Back