Stanton
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Re: 2 AHr loss in 15 days - is this unusual?

Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:48 pm

If the OP drops another bar soon, I don't see how it can be anything but a BMS reset.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Re: 2 AHr loss in 15 days - is this unusual?

Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:19 pm

GerryAZ wrote:I suspect your usage pattern is no more stressful or even less stressful for the battery than mine, but the LBC has trouble measuring or estimating the actual battery capacity under those gentle use and shallow discharge conditions. If you are concerned about numbers, you could run it down to VLBW and charge to 100% once a month. An occasional QC from VLBW to full charge if you have any stations nearby would also help your numbers. Since my Leaf Spy numbers improve after every QC, I try to use a QC from VLBW to full at least once every couple of months now that I no longer have 30 minutes of free QC.

One theory I have is that the higher sustained reverse current flow from either high-rate (6kW) L2 charging or especially DCQC breaks down the buildup on the electrodes in each cell. I have attached a link to an article about battery deterioration that you might find interesting.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/arti ... ion_to_die

Thanks for chiming in. I'm going to follow my own advice to others and stop worrying about a number I cannot reliably interpret. I'll just keep trending LEAFspy once a month and hope to see the line plateau. As it is, I have no problem driving 100 miles on a full charge so I have nothing practical to complain about.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”