Reddy
Delivery Date: 18 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 006828

Re: To bail or not to bail, that can be an important question

Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:14 am

WetEV wrote:I have pulled up the Leafspy logs and reanalyzed this trip. Making the (probably correct) assumption that the weather stayed the same as it had been in the first half of the route, I would have run out of charge about 2 to 4 miles away from home, at best.

I just did this route again, and found I was slightly dreading the experience before I left. However, it was a joy ticking off the checkpoints, and I got home with 5.5kW. Doing the trip again made me understand that needing to bail to Plan B every once in a while is a good thing. What I've realized was that I had the unexamined and untrue belief that I could always make the trips that I've planned as planned. When that belief was challenged by the quickly dropping charge level in the battery, I felt bad. Grief, denial, and all that....
Excellent news and analysis! You are way above the average Joe when it comes to this kind of thing. Most people fill the car with gas once a week, drive like idiots, and don't check or even wonder why they don't get anywhere near the EPA mileage. On my ICE I've calculated mpg after each tank of gas for decades and have seen anywhere from 12 mpg to 35 mpg! For the Leaf, I've seen an even wider range (winter with heat has been as low as 25 mi and summer range test was 100+ mi).

Congratulation on a trip well-planned and executed! Yes, having to use plan C is always disappointing, but better than the alternative (which might have been a broken EVSE at the next stop).

The take home lesson for you and others might be to try this experiment: On the next very windy day (15-25 mph should do), time yourself riding a bicycle with the wind for 1 mi. Then turn around and time yourself against the wind. Compare the amount of effort and time. Hint: I've been bicycling for five decades and have experience with just about everything, including riding against 35-45 mph winds that are so strong that it's probably easier to walk. My daily commute easily varied from 20 to 40 min, with a handful of 60 min trips and one two hour trip (well, it probably wasn't a good idea to start bicycle in a snowstorm with 4" already on the ground and into a 20 mph headwind, but who said I was smart?).

Rain reduces range, very low temperatures are difficult, and wind really blows, but all three together are a nightmare!
Reddy
2011 SL; 9 bar, 46.44 AHr; 40,067 mi; rcv'd Aug 18, 2011
Long: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... al#p226115"
Cold: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p243033"

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”