New Leaf : some observations on charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inphoenix

It was time for the old Leaf to go back (lease ended) so it was replaced with a new 2017 Leaf S30. I didn't plug in the OBD II yet, so no stats from LeafSpy but here are some observations and a question. I drove about 60 miles on the freeway (about 70/75 mph) to get home with 22 miles left on GOM. (I know freeway driving would mess it up so wasn't too concerned about the lower number).

I set the charging time for the car to be ready at 5 AM and plug it in. When I woke up, I see two emails from my EVSE which confirmed that it started charging at 2:33 AM. But here's where it gets interesting. Second email at 3:06 AM says "Charging added 24.074 kWh in 33 min 2 sec". What?? Did they upgrade the OBC and forgt to tell us? Something doesn't sound right as it would take about 3 hours to charge this much on my previous Leaf. The car was fully charged and GOM showed 141 miles (124 with AC on).

Any thoughts on this? Does it need to go through a few charge cycle before it can spit out more accurate info?

..... and yes, I will get the LeafSpy stats soon. :)

Do you recall what the SOC% showed when the GOM was indicating 22 miles remaining? Based on driving for about 60 miles at freeway speeds, you used up at least 15 kWh of pack charge, so you should have been at around 50% SOC or less (assuming of course that you started at 100% SOC) on a 30 kWh battery.

You mentioned though that your EVSE indicated that
"Charging added 24.074 kWh in 33 min 2 sec"

Bizzare! at 6 kw charging rate, at most it would have added roughly 3 kWh to the pack. Sounds like an issue with the EVSE, as it wouldn't have been relying on the Leaf to track the kWhs it delivered.

Maybe the Easter bunny brought you a 50 kW DCQC :lol:

So the thought of bad cell scared me enough to hook up the OBD II and get some data from the car. Here are some screenshots.

http://imgur.com/a/p5U4x (three images)

The car shows 87% battery with 129 miles on GOM.

SOH = 100%
AHr = 82.34
Hx = 100.13%

The only other thing I noticed that I had the config data for the old leaf in my EVSE app. I just updated that today so let's see what happens tomorrow. Not planning to charge it tonight.

Back