SOH % not matching up with remaining kWh on LSP

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmac

Hi everyone,

First time posting here, and new Leaf owner. I bought a 2013 SV a few weeks ago, and recently purchased Leaf Spy Pro to verify the condition of the battery. The results are a little confusing to me.

LSP says that on a full charge I have 219 GIDs remaining. That's about 77% of the 281 GIDs on a new Leaf. This matches up with LSP's report on the SOH, which also states 77%.

However, on a full charge LSP says I only have 17 kwh remaining, which is a mere 70% of the 24 kwh on a new Leaf.

So which is it? 77% or 70%? My dash shows 2 capacity bars missing. Is the "kwh remaining" metric unreliable? Or is something else afoot?

Thanks for any help.
-cmac

Yeah, only about 21 to 22 kWh are usable on a new battery.

I wouldn't bother going by the kWh readings in Leaf Spy. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=472552#p472552 as to why.

As for SOH and Hx readings, that in conjunction with AHr are useful as rough guides as to battery condition and when the next bar will go away. I wouldn't read too much into them. Nissan has never publicly documented or acknowledged any of these values AFAIK, their meanings, caveats, etc.

BTW, this is the first time I'd ever seen the acronym "LSP". When I saw your thread title, I had no idea what that was referring to. Upon further searches, it seems many others have used that in posts :eek: :oops: but never as a topic title.

The kWh remaining number displayed by Leaf Spy is calculated from the "Gid" value. There is a setting in Leaf Spy for the watt hours per "Gid" which will change the kWh remaining value displayed by Leaf Spy. I use 80 watt hours per Gid because the earlier versions of Leaf Spy used that fixed value and keeping the same value allows comparison of my newer data to my old records.

As others already said, it is best to use AHr, SOH, and Hx for evaluating your battery since those values are read directly from the Lithium Battery Controller in the car.

Back