cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Re: 7 mile drop with fan on level 1

Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:55 am

Supersleeper wrote:
cwerdna wrote:Ahh, you have the power pig slow to heat water-block heater then. It's powered by the big battery. No way it can be powered by the 12 volt.

Bummer. Well, I'll experiment with my own 12v mods. I've got a couple of ideas to make a low-wattage ceramic heater for my feet.

I've seen folks mention that the slow to heat power pig water block heater can draw up to 6 kW.

Folks have used 12 volt heaters from Harbor Freight Tools, I believe as a foot warmer. Google for site:mynissanleaf.com harbor freight heater.

Unfortunately, since you have an '11, you also likely don't have heated seats nor heated steering wheel. They became forced standard features starting on '12. It is more efficient to heat those than to heat the cabin. Or you can do both and use the heater less.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:13 am

If you search 'heater in a box' here, you will find the topic in which I describe making a standalone heating system that uses a 12 volt battery, inverter, and two 200 watt ceramic heaters. In your case you could wire the inverter to the car's 12 volt battery, since you own it. It provides adequate warmth to heat the driver's footwell area, and even your waist.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:40 am

I understand that inverters are no way efficient, so two 200 watt heaters would maybe use 6-800 watts. Then there is the question of where do you place little boxes so that the boxes will not annoy your legs and feet, while also not setting any carpet or other interior stuff on fire....

I think this is a situation where all of the effort and expense does not return any benefit or convenience.. I also feel this way about people trying to save energy by swapping all their bulbs to LED, which is also a non-benefit project. So if you use a couple of extra KWs, is it going to kill you to spend an extra $10-20 cents per KW?

Funny I don't remember people making mods on their stereos, can openers, or toasters in the past. You buy it, and then just use it as is...

LeftieBiker

Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:50 pm

I understand that inverters are no way efficient, so two 200 watt heaters would maybe use 6-800 watts. Then there is the question of where do you place little boxes so that the boxes will not annoy your legs and feet, while also not setting any carpet or other interior stuff on fire....

You do understand that I actually built this, right? No? Then read the topic. I placed the two heaters on the floor mat, facing forward and attached to the seat adjustment bar (they are tiny and fit well there, with no interference). They worked fine for heating the driver's leg well, and even kept the front cabin at about 45F in...14F? weather. One heater alone worked in milder Winter temps.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:01 pm

The LEAF fan just by itself *might* pull 30 watts at a low setting.
Get LeafSpy
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

Supersleeper
Delivery Date: 06 Aug 2017

Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:06 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:If you search 'heater in a box' here, you will find the topic in which I describe making a standalone heating system that uses a 12 volt battery, inverter, and two 200 watt ceramic heaters. In your case you could wire the inverter to the car's 12 volt battery, since you own it. It provides adequate warmth to heat the driver's footwell area, and even your waist.

I saw that, but it just seems so wasteful. There's power loss going from DC to AC. I'd rather have 12v DC heater.

Supersleeper

Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:11 pm

cwerdna wrote:Unfortunately, since you have an '11, you also likely don't have heated seats nor heated steering wheel. They became forced standard features starting on '12. It is more efficient to heat those than to heat the cabin. Or you can do both and use the heater less.

Yeah, no big deal really. I live in California, and I'm actually intending to install the heated seat feature myself. Pretty easy DIY. No idea about the steering wheel, but we'll find out when the winter months come. I mean, I have an ICE car worst-case, but 17MPG Mustang GT. It's Sooooo ironic sitting next to each other in the driveway. Same exact color interior and exterior. Ironically, the Mustang can't go 300 miles either. Small tank and crappy mileage :lol:

Supersleeper

Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:14 pm

powersurge wrote:I also feel this way about people trying to save energy by swapping all their bulbs to LED, which is also a non-benefit project. So if you use a couple of extra KWs, is it going to kill you to spend an extra $10-20 cents per KW?

Right, for power, it's not that effective, but LED are so cool! I had them on my ICE just because they looked nice. I now swapped them over to the Leaf as most of them fit the car.

LeftieBiker

Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:28 pm

I saw that, but it just seems so wasteful. There's power loss going from DC to AC. I'd rather have 12v DC heater.

This is a case where the real world experience definitely trumps the theory. Those 12 volt heaters are terrible, putting out small amounts of tepid air. Having actually tested both kinds I can say that the 120 volt units actually warm parts of the car, whereas the 12 volt units barely defrost or defog. But hey, don't listen to me. Enjoy that 12 volt heater!

Supersleeper

Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:52 pm

LeftieBiker wrote: This is a case where the real world experience definitely trumps the theory. Those 12 volt heaters are terrible, putting out small amounts of tepid air. Having actually tested both kinds I can say that the 120 volt units actually warm parts of the car, whereas the 12 volt units barely defrost or defog. But hey, don't listen to me. Enjoy that 12 volt heater!

I believe it works. I don’t argue that. I’m just saying there’s power loss in that transformation of DC to AC. Not to mention the string of cables and inverter box taking up extra room. It’s a quick and simple method, and I’m sure it gets the job done.

The 12v heaters you buy for the cars are too low in wattage, true. I don’t dispute that either. But, I’m a capable DIYer, and I am perfectly comfortable poking some decent gauge wires through the firewall and getting the equivalent amperage needed to properly heat the cabin. Simply tap directly into the 12v battery terminals, and place a decent 40A fuse at the +12v terminal.

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”