How to quickly initiate 100% charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freefaller

Hi,

This is my first post on the forum - please be gentle :)

I've just bought my Leaf in the last week, and so far am loving it. (2nd hand 2015 Tekna 24kw 3.3kwh UK-specification.)

However, there is one thing that I'm simply unable to figure out...

I've set up my charge timer to only charge to 80% overnight (I'm in the UK, as I've read a lot of things about US models having the 80% option removed). But occasionally I'll want to force it to charge to 100% when I want the extra range.

If the setting is to charge to only 80%, how can you quickly and easily tell the car to charge to 100%? Is it possible to do it through NissanConnect EV on my Android phone? Or do I have to go to the car, go into the settings and change it to 100%, tell it to manually charge, and then when it's finished go back to the car and change the settings back to 80%?

I can't believe there isn't an easy way to say "hey car, I'm going to need to head off in a couple of hours, charge yourself to 100% please".

Hope somebody can point me in the right direction!

Cheers,
Tom :)

I am unfamiliar with the 2015 models, but on the 2011-2012 models there is a button on the dash left of the steering wheel that is Charge Timer Override. Pressing this button would make the car start charging immediately and it would charge all the way, regardless to the settings on the charge timer. Generally had my car's Charge Timer set to finish charging at 7am at 80%. If I needed to charge mid-day or to charge all the way. I would press this button before plugging in. But since you have a 2015 and you are in the UK things might be totally different.

on my car there is a timer override button below the main part of the dash.. I guess yours would be on the right of the steering wheel. Mine on the left near the door. Looks like a clock.. once you press it the timer is ignored and it charges as soon as it's plugged in and to 100%. I don't know if yours will behave the same.. try it.

Darryl said:
I am unfamiliar with the 2015 models, but on the 2011-2012 models there is a button on the dash left of the steering wheel that is Charge Timer Override. Pressing this button would make the car start charging immediately and it would charge all the way, regardless to the settings on the charge timer. Generally had my car's Charge Timer set to finish charging at 7am at 80%. If I needed to charge mid-day or to charge all the way. I would press this button before plugging in. But since you have a 2015 and you are in the UK things might be totally different.
Thanks for the response Darryl :)

It did dawn on me that if I only set the charing timers to go to 80% overnight, and have the general setting on 100%, then pressing he "charge timer override" button (on the right hand side of the dash in the UK!) would take it to 100%.

Also, there is a "charge now" function on the mobile app, which I presume (again, if the general setting are on 100%) will do the same thing from the comfort of my house.

I guess I just need to play with it - I was just hoping that there was something simple I missed. (Normally the "simple thing" is me!)

DuncanCunningham said:
on my car there is a timer override button below the main part of the dash.. I guess yours would be on the right of the steering wheel. Mine on the left near the door. Looks like a clock.. once you press it the timer is ignored and it charges as soon as it's plugged in and to 100%. I don't know if yours will behave the same.. try it.
Thanks Duncan :)

Ah, so the override ALWAYS forces a charge to 100%, independent of the general setting?

mine seems to, but after a few months of only charging to 80%, I updated my timer to 100%.

If you are in England, I would not worry about 100% charge unless you are going to leave it for days like that. the major issue that kills batteries seems to be temperature and you don't have that in England. I knowm i was born there in 1974 and move to the US in 2001. We have lots of batteries here suffering because of our summers are long and hot. roads are hot, cars are very hot.

If you get to the point that you are unable to touch the windscreen of the car, not the black sides, but just the window, then you know it's warm enough that you might not want it fully charged to 100% and not moving within a day or so. All about heat, it's why UK EVs seem to suffer much less that the US or other countrys.

If the car lets you choose 80% or 100% charge regardless of timer (we have that for 2013 only) then you have to have that general setting at 100%. Otherwise I don't think it will charge to 100% when the override is pressed, because that button is literally just a "timer override."

LeftieBiker said:
If the car lets you choose 80% or 100% charge regardless of timer (we have that for 2013 only) then you have to have that general setting at 100%. Otherwise I don't think it will charge to 100% when the override is pressed, because that button is literally just a "timer override."

I think it depends. My timer was set on the screen in the middle.. my Wife's was on a setting through the steering wheel dash and her's only had a end time, not a start and end time.

Let's see what he finds out from cancelling the timer. US and UK leafs are not the same in many ways that I've not seen documented anywhere yet.

DuncanCunningham said:
...and go to bed. it's late over there.
I already had ;)

DuncanCunningham said:
If you are in England, I would not worry about 100% charge unless you are going to leave it for days like that. the major issue that kills batteries seems to be temperature and you don't have that in England.
Well, that could be the issue - I will on average only drive it on 3 days of the week (I only commute to the office 2 days a week) so it's regularly going to sit on the drive for 2 or 3 days without moving . And on basis that alone, I'm tempted to think that keeping it at 80% and throwing it up to 100% occasionally is probably a better way forward.

LeftieBiker said:
I think this is a very valid comment... and makes a lot of sense. Keeping the timer on 80% will only take it to 80% on the standard overnight top-up. Then pressing the override (either in the car, or using the "Start Charging" option in the app) should then take it to 100% when required.

I think I need a bit of time to play.

freefaller said:
LeftieBiker said:
I think this is a very valid comment... and makes a lot of sense. Keeping the timer on 80% will only take it to 80% on the standard overnight top-up. Then pressing the override (either in the car, or using the "Start Charging" option in the app) should then take it to 100% when required.

I think I need a bit of time to play.

For years I've had a timer set for activation anytime (start and stop time the same time every day) and the car's limit set to 100% but the timer for 80%. It works just as described. The only reason I qualified my statement was that I have never set the car's limit to 80% and then tried to override it.

LeftieBiker said:
For years I've had a timer set for activation anytime (start and stop time the same time every day) and the car's limit set to 100% but the timer for 80%. It works just as described. The only reason I qualified my statement was that I have never set the car's limit to 80% and then tried to override it.
Oh, very handy idea! I will have to give this a try.

Not my idea. A lot of us have been using it for years, though. It doesn't matter what time of day you use for start/stop, unless it matters to you that it will charge briefly at that time, to stay at 80%. Or 79% in my car's case, for some reason...

LeftieBiker said:
I think we have a winner :D The car charged overnight to 80% as requested under the timer settings. I've just ask it to "start charging" via the app, and it is now progressing towards the 100% as per the general settings.

LeftieBiker said:
This is a nice idea, I like it - however it doesn't work for people who have cheaper electricity overnight, and are in a position where they can wait until "tomorrow" to get the car back to a charged state.

Back