Power usage when stationary in D/B

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freefaller

When you're stationary in D/B (with your foot on the brake to stop you moving) is power being used by the motor?

It only takes the slightest lift on the brake peddle to start moving (like any normal automatic), and my gut feeling is that the motor is being supplied a tiny amount of power so that it can start moving immediately. I'm trying to get in the habit of selecting P when stationery, just in case.

The energy info screen doesn't show any power usage at all... but then it doesn't show any usage when crawling (with neither the brake or accelerator pressed)/

I just find it hard to believe that the system is supplying power on that tiny bit of lift... but then this is a very advanced piece of technology, and I'm used to be wrong! :)

I realise that even if it is using energy, it's using such a tiny amount it makes no difference in the whole scheme of things.

Cheers,
Tom

yes power is being used by the brakes, the motor, etc. Creep is on all the time. You would save a little by being in park. Not sure I can recommend that and this is coming from someone who constantly shifts between B mode and neutral as a normal part of my daily driving

If you have LEAF Spy Pro, you can see motor power and you can see it go to zero with your foot firmly on the brake. There will be some power draw if you lightly press the brake pedal (at least on 2011 and 2015). As the brake pedal is released, creep comes on before the brakes are fully released to give a feeling similar to an automatic transmission in a conventional car.

LeftieBiker said:
The brake pedal is supposed to kill motor power as it does in most EVs. I suspect that the feeling of straining against the brake pedal is an illusion.

Have you tried this? You can step on the brake and the accelerated together and the motor will produce torque.

Back