Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

LeafMuranoDriver
Delivery Date: 01 May 2015
Leaf Number: 323189

Re: Charging at Work - Your Experience/Setup

Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:11 pm

RonDawg wrote:
kirkhilles wrote:Well, you know what? This is IMPORTANT to me, so this morning I'm going to do things MY way. I bought a 10 gauge, quality 50 foot extension cord and I'm going to hook up to one of our outlets and drop the cord out the window to some parking spots in the garage beneath and charge it on my own. I'll offer to pay any extra power costs. He won't be happy about it, but you know what? This is important to me and its not like I'm demanding that he setup a $10k+ charging station.

Unless you're in a kind of job where it's difficult to fire you, I would be VERY careful about doing this. It's been a few years, but someone here posted that they were FIRED for plugging into the work outlets without permission....and that's without using an extension cord, which presents hazards of its own (trip hazard, overheating, etc.). Others have gotten nasty-grams from their supervisors/bosses.

$60/month to use a parking lot with a charging station seems like cheap employment insurance to me.

I was going to say the same thing. There was someone who posted here that got fired. Definitely sucks.

I'm pretty lucky. My work has multiple L2's. Just added a few more and now almost everyone has one.
2015 Leaf S w/ QC
Mfg: Jan. '15 // Pur: May '15
Best: 6/27/15 - 1,416 Miles - 292 GIDs - 63.11 Ahr - 22.6 kWh - 100% SOH - 97.2% Hx - 4 QC, 29 L2
Worst: 12/12/15 - 4,616 Miles - 259 GIDs - 55.02 Ahr - 20.1 kWh - 99% SOH - 82.8% Hx - 17 QC, 96 L2

kirkhilles
Delivery Date: 19 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 022214

Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:38 pm

Well, in terms of "that guy" that got fired, I don't mean any disrespect to him or his situation but I wouldn't exactly call it a situation where lots of people have been fired. Here is my take on his situation (again: no disrespect to him): He gets a new job, gets some charging and then maybe they realize he doesn't work out and gets fired a few weeks later. I don't see how the charging has anything to do with it.

Look, I'm a software developer for a company for 11 years, so I'm not going to get fired over having my car plugged in. I'll get fired because of a bug in my code that costs my company real money, LOL. If I get fired because of charging my Leaf, it's because I burned the freaking office down because of an electrical fire.

I appreciate everyone's input, but I think everything is going to be fine. I'll need to find a way to better seal the window (since it's going out there right now) when it gets colder and I'll continue to do it daily until the boss tells me to stop.
2012 Leaf SV w/ 35k miles
MyEVStats.com

baustin
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 402162

Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:49 pm

kirkhilles wrote:Well, in terms of "that guy" that got fired, I don't mean any disrespect to him or his situation but I wouldn't exactly call it a situation where lots of people have been fired. Here is my take on his situation (again: no disrespect to him): He gets a new job, gets some charging and then maybe they realize he doesn't work out and gets fired a few weeks later. I don't see how the charging has anything to do with it.

Look, I'm a software developer for a company for 11 years, so I'm not going to get fired over having my car plugged in. I'll get fired because of a bug in my code that costs my company real money, LOL. If I get fired because of charging my Leaf, it's because I burned the freaking office down because of an electrical fire.

I appreciate everyone's input, but I think everything is going to be fine. I'll need to find a way to better seal the window (since it's going out there right now) when it gets colder and I'll continue to do it daily until the boss tells me to stop.

You have to very careful charging in commercial and public locations where the EVSE is not provided for you to use. In most facilities, the permission of the person/entity paying for the electricity (usually facilities management company) is required, if it is not directly paid by the employer. There are also safety concerns to deal with, most likely covered by OSHA regulations. Extension cords are always an issue, especially one that is hanging out a window. Unless it is included as part of the compensation package, many will not provide free charging since it benefits only a few, and can be argued as an unfair advantage. Offering to pay for the electricity is a good first step. There are multiple reasons why permission may be denied. I would suggest getting written permission to allow charging.

There is a thread here somewhere. The person fired for charging at work, was let go for doing so without permission. It was at a government facility, if I remember correctly, or a government contractor.
2013 Leaf SV - Cayenne Red - QC Port - LED Headlights

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:37 pm

I got authorization to plug into a single 120v outside outlet, unfortunately, both the parking spots that would be able to use the outlet without an extension cord are quite near the building/door, so one needs to be there quite early. This isn't/wasn't a problem because I start quite early, although if I went to lunch, I'd probably lose my spot. All was fine until the building got another Leaf owner, who started after me but still needed to charge. They went to the building management who to my surprise added not only a second dedicated 120v outlet but also a 30a L6-30 outlet at my suggestion. Now the other Leaf owner uses one of the 120v outlets, I use the 30a L2 with my portable L2 EVSE and we have a spare 120v outlet.
Unfortunately, my schedule has changed where I no longer work all day at this building all day but luckily I start my day there where I park for a couple hours and at 30a I can add ~60% to my 24kw battery, more than enough to make up for my trip to work. I kind of wish my battery would be larger to be able to accept a full charge for my whole 2hr duration but unfortunately charging starts to taper off at about 1.5hrs due to high SOC.
Living in MN, outside 120v outlets are/were quite common for people to plug their engine block heaters into and many of those could be 1500w or about what an OEM Leaf EVSE would draw but unfortunately, some people still look at it as getting free gas so it plugging in a EV could be frowned upon :(
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

RonDawg
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089

Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:49 pm

kirkhilles wrote:Well, in terms of "that guy" that got fired, I don't mean any disrespect to him or his situation but I wouldn't exactly call it a situation where lots of people have been fired. Here is my take on his situation (again: no disrespect to him): He gets a new job, gets some charging and then maybe they realize he doesn't work out and gets fired a few weeks later. I don't see how the charging has anything to do with it.

While that is quite possible (and indeed several of us at the time surmised it was just an excuse to let him go), if you're on shaky ground with your employer, why give them an excuse?

And you'll never know when you'll end up on that shaky ground. I've seen many people at my work go from "Golden Boy" to pariah overnight. In some cases it took nothing more than a change in leadership who didn't see that person in the same light as previously.

Anyway, just a heads up. Ultimately it's up to you if you want to take the risk or not.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar on 11/21/2015 at 26,435 miles.
Lease returned on 12/23/2015. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL

Bob
Delivery Date: 30 May 2013

Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:20 pm

We have an dual L2 EVSE at work. It requires card access. Employees who want a card are given one free, tracking their usage. We pay the company back monthly by mailing them a check. Our company has 150 employees and it seems to work out well. We haven't had ICEs using the spaces.

Bob

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:31 pm

Personally if I were "the boss" and came in to work to see an extension cord dangling out a window for car charging, by a person with whom I'd already told could not be accommodated, It'd be about the same as hanging a banner that said "F U, Boss!". But you know the guy better than me so use your own discretion.

Perhaps more important are the safety and liability issues. Do you even know the ampacity of the circuit you'll be using, and what other loads are running off of it? The amperage demand of L1 charging is not trivial. This isn't like charging your cellphone. Do you want to be the one that trips a breaker destroying multiple peoples' work for the day, or perhaps taking down even more sensitive equipment? How would your boss react to that? What about starting a fire or setting off the smoke alarm?

Again, this isn't an inconsequential amount of electricity. Ethically you owe it to your employer to ask permission and to abide by their decision.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

LeafMuranoDriver
Delivery Date: 01 May 2015
Leaf Number: 323189

Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:08 am

Nubo wrote:Personally if I were "the boss" and came in to work to see an extension cord dangling out a window for car charging, by a person with whom I'd already told could not be accommodated, It'd be about the same as hanging a banner that said "F U, Boss!". But you know the guy better than me so use your own discretion.

This is exactly what I was getting at.

OP - You've already asked permission and got denied. It wouldn't be smart to move forward after being told no. Especially with an extension cord out of a window. Someone will complain and it will get back to you.
2015 Leaf S w/ QC
Mfg: Jan. '15 // Pur: May '15
Best: 6/27/15 - 1,416 Miles - 292 GIDs - 63.11 Ahr - 22.6 kWh - 100% SOH - 97.2% Hx - 4 QC, 29 L2
Worst: 12/12/15 - 4,616 Miles - 259 GIDs - 55.02 Ahr - 20.1 kWh - 99% SOH - 82.8% Hx - 17 QC, 96 L2

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”