Sudden Mileage Decrease

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeafSLC

Hi, newbie here.
We took over my father-in-law's 2015 Leaf back in June. Since then, I have tracked the stated mileage and the miles/kWh pretty well, just from the dash readout (no hand calculations). I know its not totally accurate but it has been very consistent and we have learned how much battery percentage is used with our daily commutes. We have been steadily averaging 4.7 or 4.8 miles/kWh with the occasional dip to 4.5 or as much as 5.0. We usually drive in the 'B' mode (but not 'Eco'). A few weeks ago, the car would not start as it stated to press the brake pedal even though we were pressing it. After letting it sit for a few minutes, we got it started and went to the dealership. Doing some Googling and confirmed by the dealer, the 12v battery was deficient. They replaced it, no big deal.
The problem is ever since then, our miles/ kWh is down significantly. I have to try hard to just get 4.0 miles/kWh and the last few charges we have only got as high as 4.2 ml/kWh. This is with us driving in Eco mode a lot now as well. This has change was very sudden. According to the service sheet we got at the dealership, it does not mention any software change/ upgrade. In fact, I seem to remember them saying it was up to date but my memory could be wrong. We had the battery replaced, tires rotated and the flaking emblem replace. We still have not lost any battery bars and the odometer just hit 16k.
Is this normal? Does anyone know what could be the cause? A sudden 15% loss in mileage is concerning given the low mileage per charge the Leaf already gets. Any info would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks for the responses. I was thinking about the cold weather but I don’t think that is it. I was using the heater some before and didn’t see the sudden change. I also notice the percentage dropping more rapidly than normal during the day when it’s warmer.
I also was thinking about the tire psi. I don’t know what it was before but was thinking of checking and inflating. Any suggested psi? I believe these are the factory tires.

hello SLC... are you a fellow Utahn?

I run mine at 42, at least 40.. and now that it's so cold.. time to check again.

Also regen doesn't do much in colder weather... I use the seat and wheel heaters as much as I can.. i only use the air heater to clear the fog on the inside or when the wife complains that she is "freezing"

so Tires, yeah.. get them up and see if that helps.

Regeneration in cold weather is not reduced nearly as much on 2015 as on 2011 or 2012 models (I have no experience with other models). If the 2015 is SV or SL, range hit for heat and defrost use is minimal compared to resistance heater on 2011, 2012, and all S models. I suspect you will find soft tires. I recommend 44 psi for OEM tires (either 16- inch Ecopias or 17-inch Michelin's).

Thanks again everyone. I am a Utahn as well and we have the SL model.
I was thinking tire pressure could be an issue. I am planning on checking today. I appreciate the responses and will let you know how it goes!

Sounds like another case of reverse placebo.... New drivers worry about every detail. Stating that a battery change changes the mileage is like saying that an oil changed messed up the tires.

@LeafSLC Sounds like you've got an SL model, so make sure you use the climate timer to preheat your car before you start your commute. That one change alone should extend your range significantly. With an ICE car, which wastes more than 60% of the energy from the gasoline as heat, there's no shortage of heat available for keeping the cabin warm.

With an EV, any heat you add to the cabin is going to reduce your range. So, use the seat warmers, throw on warmer clothes, and don't run the A/C and heat at the same time (the windshield defog setting does that automatically - it's so annoying to have to turn off the A/C button all the time), and lower the set point and fan speed to the minimum needed to keep the windshield clear. On days when the windshield constantly fogs up, there's not much you can do - your range is going to suck.

Also, realize that cold air is more dense, so there are higher losses due to wind resistance during winter months. Same goes for ICE cars, but people seldom notice the mileage drop in winter months - EV owner tend to obsess about mileage more ;)

Finally, the battery pack itself is less efficient in colder weather, more details on that here:

https://www.comsol.com/blogs/why-car-batteries-perform-poorly-in-cold-weather/

Back