I rasn my 2013 Leaf to "---" or ZERO!! But In got home anyway! A mile or so.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnKuthe

Whew!

I did a LOT of fast highway driving in my 2013 Leaf then took an unnecessary highway loop (wrong exit!) and my displayed miles remaining on charge was zero or "---" coming home and it still got me another mile or so home off the highway exit home. Whew, never wanna do THAT again!

John Kuthe...

JohnKuthe said:
Whew!

I did a LOT of fast highway driving in my 2013 Leaf then took an unnecessary highway loop (wrong exit!) and my displayed miles remaining on charge was zero or "---" coming home and it still got me another mile or so home off the highway exit home. Whew, never wanna do THAT again!
IIRC, the GOM goes to --- miles when you hit VLBW (2nd warning). What's more scary is without Leaf Spy having % SoC go from say 5 to 7% to ---%. This happened to me: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=388984#p388984.

https://www.edmunds.com/nissan/leaf/2011/long-term-road-test/2011-nissan-leaf-driving-it-to-the-bitter-end.html in the video drove an '11 Leaf (doesn't have % SoC display) down to dead.

Bottom line: If you want visibility into what's going on and not fly blind when you get do ---% remaining, use Leaf Spy!

cwerdna said:
Bottom line: If you want visibility into what's going on and not fly blind when you get do ---% remaining, use Leaf Spy!
And why is that? Answer: Because Nissan, in their infinite wisdom, decided to take away telemetry information regarding the battery just when you need it the most.

I can only guess that lawyers were behind that awful decision.

RegGuheert said:
cwerdna said:
And why is that? Answer: Because Nissan, in their infinite wisdom, decided to take away telemetry information regarding the battery just when you need it the most.

I can only guess that lawyers were behind that awful decision.

Figures! Freaking LAWS!! :-(

Namaste

John Kuthe...

Heh. I do this (hit VLBW) every single day on my commute.

I'm kind of surprised that it took you five years before hitting VLBW for the first time.

If you want real pucker factor, try hitting Turtle when you're still a mile from your destination. I never hypermiled so vigilantly in my life. :eek:

garsh said:

I'm kind of surprised that it took you five years before hitting VLBW for the first time.

If you want real pucker factor, try hitting Turtle when you're still a mile from your destination. I never hypermiled so vigilantly in my life. :eek:

So this guy is proudly abusing his car and looking to get a free battery.

powersurge said:
garsh said:

You say abusing, I say using to the fullest. To me, abusing implies intentionally adding stress when it isn't needed.

GetOffYourGas said:
You say abusing, I say using to the fullest. To me, abusing implies intentionally adding stress when it isn't needed.
I'm not an EE or battery-guru, but my understanding is that driving the Leaf to VLBW (dashes for both GOM and Percent Remaining) is somewhat hard on the battery ... the flip side of "babying the battery".

As controlled tests when we first got our 2015 Leaf "S" that was a 2 year lease turn-in with 14,500 miles, I did twice check what happened when the battery went to Turtle Mode. The power output was significantly reduced. I was slowly circling the block where the Nissan dealer was located, so I figured the risks were acceptable.

I did note that I could get about 10 miles at slooow speed from when the "Percent Remaining" went from under 5% to VLBW dashes"---", and then to Turtle Mode. The charger showed that the vehicle had an indicated 2% left. Whew. I haven't "Turtled" since.

I haven't tested having the battery depleted even further past Turtle to "lights off". If I did, I'd park at a charging station once Turtle was reached, and use the heater as a battery drain. I've no interest in pushing or towing the Leaf.

I don't have LeafSpy + ELM327, but that would seem a Very Good Idea for such testing for the extra curious who want more than a superficial understanding of the Leaf battery.

My impression is that the original leasing owner wasn't abusive to the battery. At 33,5000 miles, there are still 12 bars left. I would rate our battery care as being between "baby'ing" and careful.

ldallan said:
GetOffYourGas said:
I'm not an EE or battery-guru, but my understanding is that driving the Leaf to VLBW (dashes for both GOM and Percent Remaining) is somewhat hard on the battery ... the flip side of "babying the battery".

No, I'm with you there. I believe that it is somewhat hard on the battery. But I disagree with the claim that doing so crosses the line from "somewhat hard" to "abusive".

powersurge said:
garsh said:

I don't recall Nissan defining VLBW as abuse. Repeated Turtling, maybe.

powersurge said:
Nope. The car made this commute just fine when new.
Hell, it would actually make it the full round-trip if I was just a little bit careful.
But now, with four bars missing, and soon to drop a fifth, it's barely acceptable as a commuter car.

Not to mention, if powersurge could be bothered to show a little reading comprehension ability, he would see that I'm well beyond the battery capacity warranty. It's right there in my signature.

And, you say "abusing", but I paid for Nissan's "battery check" every single year. They always said that my battery was "5 stars", whatever the hell that means. The report always said that the battery was in great shape, and never mentioned anything about running it down too low. This is just what they expect from their battery technology, and it's a crime.

I'm just hoping this otherwise ok commuter car with the most horrible battery technology in the world can continue to make this commute for a few more months before my Model 3 arrives.

Well, it is a free world, and Leaf owners can do what they want.... Just like the topic of how people eat their daily diet...

You can go ahead eating those triple bacon cheeseburgers and going to the Chinese Buffet.. That doesn't kill you that fast either....

Back