TCU upgrade intresting experience

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdoe000007

Just got my a 2015 SL and wanted to take in to the local dealer to get the TCU upgraded from 2G to 3G. The dealer rep told me to about the modem recall and told me to bring it. Got to the dealer and in about 20 mins was told that it was done. I was really surprised that it was done so quick. The rep told me that it was just a programming that was needed. I asked the rep, so does that mean that I have the 3G modem and the rep told me again that all I needed was the programming. I get into the car and try to connect and no go. I call Nissan EV customer support they checked things and tell me the dealer is wrong and they have not upgraded it to 3G. They just disabled the already disabled 2G modem which was part of a recall. I go back in and the Nissan agent explained it to the dealer. Dealer acknowledged the mistake and is ordering the 3G TCU. Took about an hour and half to get this resolved. Now have to wait for the dealer to call me back, sigh, smh.

John Doe

Do you know about all the 3G TCU upgrade problems (it locks up and causes the 12V battery to drain)?

I have had only a few problems in the 15 months since the TCU replacement. An occaisional fuse pull or 12-volt battery disconnect is a small price to pay to have all of the benefits of remote access.

GerryAZ said:
I have had only a few problems in the 15 months since the TCU replacement. An occaisional fuse pull or 12-volt battery disconnect is a small price to pay to have all of the benefits of remote access.

It's a small price to pay for you. For someone who can't even pull a fuse it's kind of a big deal. Even for me it's a far less than ideal "fix." I'd like to see posts from people who have had NO problems with the TCU upgrade.

Stanton said:
jlv said:
Do you know about all the 3G TCU upgrade problems (it locks up and causes the 12V battery to drain)?

Do YOU know about all the 3G TCU "fixes"? ;)
Your post would've been more useful if you'd given a link to some of them. :?

I found a useful video here:here and a photo of the fuse location to pull here. Pulling the fuse, waiting ~5 minutes, and reinserting it seems to have reawakened my Leaf's TCU. This was far easier than scheduling and attending a dealer service call, which was the remedy proposed by Nissan's Customer Service folks. :geek:

Back