Page 1 of 1

Try to understand my Range of 2015 Leaf SL, conflict information from Carwing and Dash

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:16 pm
by seanxushen
On March 6, carwing recorded that I drove 34.2 Km (that's consistent with my own recording from dash trip A), with electricity Consumption 7.4 kWh. My battery starts a full charge and ended with 56% at the end of day.

My Leaf Stat shows:
GID 270 at 20.92kwh
SOH 86.82%
57.52 Ahr

According to Carwing: 34.2km / 7.4 kWh = 4.6 Km/Kwh * Leaf Battery Capacity 20.92 = 96.23 KM ------- This is about right in a Canadian Winter (-2 - -5 C) with heat pump on..

But if according to the car dashboard only 56% left? 34.2 / (1-56%) = 77 KM. It is way below that I am expected..

What's wrong..

I am trying this for few days now, the results are similar.

Re: Try to understand my Range of 2015 Leaf SL, conflict information from Carwing and Dash

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:33 pm
by alozzy
Your efficiency is pretty low, which is why your range is likewise low. I'm guessing you run the heat constantly, at a mid to high fan speed, and that you have winter tires that likewise aren't very efficient.

Also, you assumed a pack capacity of 21 kWh. That's not realistic for a pack with 85% SOH, more like 18 kWh at best.

In summer, with LRR tires, I average about 7.3 km/kWh. For your LEAF, that would be about 130 km of range, assuming you get similar efficiency in summer.

Sounds about right...

Re: Try to understand my Range of 2015 Leaf SL, conflict information from Carwing and Dash

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:51 pm
by cwerdna
alozzy wrote:Also, you assumed a pack capacity of 21 kWh. That's not realistic for a pack with 85% SOH,

Agreed.
alozzy wrote:more like 18 kWh at best.

Yeah, probably around 18 or 19 kWh.

I've posted my thoughts on the subjecting of people asserting their pack has ____ kWh in it from Leaf Spy: viewtopic.php?p=481577#p481577. I don't put much faith in those assertions.

Re: Try to understand my Range of 2015 Leaf SL, conflict information from Carwing and Dash

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:17 pm
by seanxushen
alozzy wrote:Your efficiency is pretty low, which is why your range is likewise low. I'm guessing you run the heat constantly, at a mid to high fan speed, and that you have winter tires that likewise aren't very efficient.

Also, you assumed a pack capacity of 21 kWh. That's not realistic for a pack with 85% SOH, more like 18 kWh at best.

In summer, with LRR tires, I average about 7.3 km/kWh. For your LEAF, that would be about 130 km of range, assuming you get similar efficiency in summer.

Sounds about right...


Got it. 21KWh is from Leaf Stats beside GID. I checked my record SOH was 90.96% while I have got my 2015 leaf brand new in Oct 2015.

BTW, ppl said if I did a full discharge and use L3 quick charge few times the SOH will go up?

Re: Try to understand my Range of 2015 Leaf SL, conflict information from Carwing and Dash

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:23 pm
by cwerdna
seanxushen wrote:21KWh is from Leaf Stats beside GID.

I put little faith in that number. In fact, I may as well ignore it. You can change the watt-hour per gid setting to make it go up/down.

270 gids * .0775 kWh/gid = 20.925 kWh

See viewtopic.php?p=481577#p481577. Until we get clarification from Nissan about the correct value(s), limitations, caveats, etc. I wouldn't ever want to assert that I have ____ kWh in my pack.

Side note: That is interesting that at 86.82% SOH, your gids on a full charge are 270. On my '13 (different pack than '15 lizard packs), I don't recall having gids that high on a full charge when down to that sort of SOH level.

Re: Try to understand my Range of 2015 Leaf SL, conflict information from Carwing and Dash

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:39 pm
by seanxushen
cwerdna wrote:
seanxushen wrote:21KWh is from Leaf Stats beside GID.

I put little faith in that number. In fact, I may as well ignore it. You can change the watt-hour per gid setting to make it go up/down.

270 gids * .0775 kWh/gid = 20.925 kWh

See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 77#p481577. Until we get clarification from Nissan about the correct value(s), limitations, caveats, etc. I wouldn't ever want to assert that I have ____ kWh in my pack.

Side note: That is interesting that at 86.82% SOH, your gids on a full charge are 270. On my '13 (different pack than '15 lizard packs), I don't recall having gids that high on a full charge when down to that sort of SOH level.


Full charge GID not look too bad, why SOH is so low, I did not get this from the day I have got my leaf..

Re: Try to understand my Range of 2015 Leaf SL, conflict information from Carwing and Dash

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:57 pm
by LeftieBiker
A "full discharge" won't help the pack. A few QCs might raise the SOH a bit, but we have no evidence that this is a real, long-lasting improvement. At least that won't hurt, as long as the pack isn't hot when charged. As for the lowish SOH, do you live in a warm climate? Even the "Lizard" pack loses capacity when it stays hot for days on end.

Re: Try to understand my Range of 2015 Leaf SL, conflict information from Carwing and Dash

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:56 am
by powersurge
You cannot expect to calculate all those numbers like a bank teller's proof sheet... There are so many inconsistent variables that you cannot expect that all "deposits-withdrawals= what is left".

The Leaf battery issue is like aging.. You are not as good today as yesterday. AND Some days will be better than others... Enjoy the good days, and stop worrying....