wch
Delivery Date: 22 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 312159

Charging to 80% using car's end timer plus EVSE timer

Fri May 11, 2018 11:44 am

I posted this on reddit earlier today. I apologize for cross-posting, but I realized that there are more experts on this forum and wanted it to get feedback from the people here. Here it is with some edits:

I just realized that it should be possible to limit charging to 80% by using the car's end timer together with the charging station's timer, if you have a smart one. I have a Juicebox, which lets me set limits on the charging time.

Here's the idea: If I set the car's end timer to (say) 8:00 AM, it will try to time the charging so that it reaches 100% at 8AM. Then I configure the EVSE to stop at 2 hours before that, at 6:00 AM. I think that should stop it at about 80% each day, without having to fiddle with timers.

The times are just an estimate -- I haven't tried this yet, and so it might need some experimentation to confirm. (I have a 30kWh model, and the Juicebox can max out the 6.6.kW charger in the car.)

I also suspect the temperature also matters. I just looked at some of the charging data from the Juicebox, and I think that the charging taper at the end is longer in cold weather and shorter in warm weather. So the 2 hour gap might need to be longer in the winter, and shorter in the summer.

Has anyone out there tried doing this? Any thoughts on whether this will work?

https://www.reddit.com/r/leaf/comments/8iob8a/limiting_charging_to_80_using_cars_timer_plus/

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Re: Charging to 80% using car's end timer plus EVSE timer

Fri May 11, 2018 11:46 am

Don't expect to hit 80% exactly, but it should work as far as I can see. It's a shame that timers aren't one of the features of most EVSEs...
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

RichCapeCod
Delivery Date: 12 Sep 2017

Sun May 13, 2018 11:51 am

LeftieBiker wrote:Don't expect to hit 80% exactly, but it should work as far as I can see. It's a shame that timers aren't one of the features of most EVSEs...

Yes, I agree. It's such a basic need for the owner to control distance to be traveled with battery life considerations. My understanding is, when such a limiter is put in an EV it somehow detracts from the ability to claim maximum range. Not sure if that's accurate.

Rich

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Sun May 13, 2018 11:55 am

The EPA dinged Nisan for their 80% "Long Life" charge limiter in 2013, and it apparently scarred them for life, the way they have behaved since. GM calls their charge limiter "Hilltop Mode" and it's been fine for them. All Nissan has to do is call it something like "Max Regen Mode" and that would be fine. But NO, not Nissan...
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”