Abysmal Range (25mi top)... Is my battery pack bad?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betarepeating

Hey all,

Bought a used 2011 leaf a while back and was lied to about the range... long story short I got scammed but now I'm stuck with this car and dealing with it the best I can.

The car had only 11k miles on it but was in a frontend collision and had an aftermarket battery thrown into it. The previous owner bought it in an auction, took it into Nissan who discovered the pack had been replaced and the dealership voided all his warranties. They had already dropped the battery pack and the car was non-functional. He apparently towed the car home where he did mystery things to the battery and got it running... Sold it to me advertising about a 45 mile range which was NOT the case.

I drive it very conservatively, avoiding highways, and find that the range of the car is completely useless for any of my needs.

Here's a leafspy of the battery, I can try to get more information as needed. It looks like the consensus from my research is that I'm screwed, I should be looking for an aftermarket pack online or just selling the car for parts.

I have some old screenshots of the battery from leafspy. I can pull in any diagnostics you guys need to see.

Album here: https://imgur.com/a/BtfEA24

Any advice?

Let me get this straight ... you bought the car without checking the range in a test drive ?

Take it back to the guy and ask for your money back (or maybe he can "fix" it). There are a number of people (not me) on this board who have done quite a bit of sophisticated work, including pack swaps, maybe even cell swaps. Do some surfing around and maybe PM some of them.

OP, it (from your screenshots) seems you have a few bad cells that are affecting the capacity for the rest of the pack. Cor is the master mechanic that you seek: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=21997&p=508921#p508921

Hope this helps!

Several of your photos show relatively high heater energy consumption. The heater in 2011 and 2012 models will use energy if ventilation is on and ambient temperature is below set point. What were your driving conditions to lead to you conclusion that the range is only 25 miles? You clearly have some weak cells, but I am not sure they are bad enough to reduce the total range to 25 miles. There should be about 7 miles after the first low battery warning and another 7 miles after very low battery warning unless the low cells are causing the car to shutdown early.

Appears you have an interesting case study of a pack with a few limiting (seems BAD!) modules. If you can get them replaced somehow (Cor is your guy!) and post your results (need a number of months reporting), it will be very useful! Alternative is a battery swap. Again, Cor is the guy. Last resort - make a deal with a good dealer on a reduced cost replacement - although with the Leaf's history you've stated, that is very unlikely.

Is it worth the trouble? probably not, but experimentation is usually not about the trouble.

Back