Silverfish
Delivery Date: 21 Jun 2018

Re: Charge a little each day, or longer charges every few days?

Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:44 pm

davewill wrote:
powersurge wrote:I wouldn't charge to 80% in your case since the car would be at this level permanently.

The battery lasts the longest if you leave it constantly at 50%. So I would leave it at 40%-60%, and you have at least 20 miles of solid range at any time.

then charge the car with a timer back to 60% (unless you want to go farther). On those days, charge the car up to 100% and go,....

And if a situation comes up where you want to go more than 20 miles away, but you didn't know that the night before? Keeping the battery that low is a ridiculous waste of effort for a very questionable return.

I should have mentioned that we have a gas car too, so we can just switch vehicles if longer distances are called for. Otherwise, yeah, I'd keep the Leaf charged up all the time.

Leaf15
Delivery Date: 09 Jun 2018

Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:44 am

I commute to work average 20 miles a day, so I charge every 2-3 days depending on errands. Very rare I do it next day, because of too many miles driven. I think it is beneficial to get battery to low state once a month - it allows low charge state balance of cells and I usually charge L2 to 100% during night hours (with timer) when temperature is low. We know Nissan only charges to 90% of the real capacity. Also, we know that charging last 10% to reach real full capacity would take way too long, possibly the main reason why all EV manufacturers to limit it to 90% of real capacity. But when you fully charge it - it allows cells to balance in high charge state. Partial charge will not allow this to happened as battery do not reach saturation point. The Leaf battery is relatively small so loss of regen effectiveness during a few first miles on full battery is not a big of a deal.
Leaf 2015 SV CPO

Silverfish
Delivery Date: 21 Jun 2018

Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:08 am

Leaf15 wrote:I commute to work average 20 miles a day, so I charge every 2-3 days depending on errands. Very rare I do it next day, because of too many miles driven. I think it is beneficial to get battery to low state once a month - it allows low charge state balance of cells and I usually charge L2 to 100% during night hours (with timer) when temperature is low. We know Nissan only charges to 90% of the real capacity. Also, we know that charging last 10% to reach real full capacity would take way too long, possibly the main reason why all EV manufacturers to limit it to 90% of real capacity. But when you fully charge it - it allows cells to balance in high charge state. Partial charge will not allow this to happened as battery do not reach saturation point. The Leaf battery is relatively small so loss of regen effectiveness during a few first miles on full battery is not a big of a deal.

When you say get the battery to a low state, do you mean to 30%, at the Low Battery Warning? Or do you mean even lower than that?

Thanks.

Leaf15
Delivery Date: 09 Jun 2018

Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:10 pm

Silverfish wrote:
When you say get the battery to a low state, do you mean to 30%, at the Low Battery Warning? Or do you mean even lower than that?

Thanks.

I meant Low Battery warning that kicks in at 15 miles of range left. I usually drive a few miles at this point to get home. I never got below that (like in turtle mode) , it would be too daring. Interesting observation, I usually disable Eco mode at low battery and drive it like I stole it for a few miles, because of I know I could get home just in time. Try to go accelerate uphill in Eco mode and then half way turn off Eco mode. It would create an effect like somebody drops a sledge hammer. There is no way you can modulate this quickly with accelerator, the Eco On/Off is instant. This help to remind me this car is no slug at all. So when you get home with less than 15 miles left, let it sit for a while - this will allow cells to rebalance in low state. I plug the L2 charger, but charging (timer #1 configured this way) starts at 1:00AM and stops at 6:00AM. Someone also mentioned after this low to 100% charge cycle, let it sit for a few hours and then re-connect charger to top it off to complete the cell balancing.

There was a discussion how to keep battery healthy for a long time and there was one post about how one owner keeps battery in good shape for long time and this was suggested. Unfortunately, I could not find this post, but just remember the procedure. Anyway, being a mechanical engineer, I found it very reasonable suggestion. This is not every charge cycle, it was suggested to do it once every 2-3 month. I would do it when opportunity presents itself, so 2-3 month is plenty time to catch those moments.
Leaf 2015 SV CPO

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”