Leaf15
Delivery Date: 09 Jun 2018

Re: Is Nissan Connect (Carwings) worth it?

Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:00 pm

How can I tell if my car's TCU has been upgraded? I've only had it for a couple of months. I do believe it's still sending info to Nissan, from the nag screen that appears when I turn the car on.

Visit https://owners.nissanusa.com/nowners/ and try to setup your car and try to enable Carwings /NissanConnect EV - it will tell you if you need your car unit upgraded.
Leaf 2015 SV CPO

Silverfish
Delivery Date: 21 Jun 2018

Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:42 pm

Leaf15 wrote:
How can I tell if my car's TCU has been upgraded? I've only had it for a couple of months. I do believe it's still sending info to Nissan, from the nag screen that appears when I turn the car on.

Visit https://owners.nissanusa.com/nowners/ and try to setup your car and try to enable Carwings /NissanConnect EV - it will tell you if you need your car unit upgraded.

Thanks, I'll try that.

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:54 am

Silverfish wrote:Is Nissan Connect worth it? It seems weird to me to pay money to Nissan just to send them data that benefits them more than me. I don't need to start the heater or AC before I get in the car.

So what do people like about Nissan Connect?
What do I like:

Remote status: Where I work we have dozens of shared EVSEs. When I park in the morning half the time I don't get to plug in immediately, because the car next to me is already charging. With the app I can query the car around lunch to see if it's already been plugged in; otherwise I need to go out and plug it in (everyone who goes out to the garage swaps any plugs to cars waiting to charge, so often someone has already plugged me in).

Remote HVAC: Some days in the summer (this week when it's been >90°F every day) I want to turn on the A/C before I head out to the car to cool it off (even though it's in a garage and generally not too hot already).

What do I dislike:

It's slow. Really slow. Starting the Android can take 10-20s, and querying status can take 1-2 minutes.

It's unreliable. Sometimes I turn on the A/C while in the office and when I reach the car 5 minutes later it is still not on. Or it just doesn't respond at all. Or Nissan has an outage that lasts days to weeks.

The upgraded 3G modem has a serious bug that causes it to lock-up and continually consume power, eventually causing the 12V battery to die. (lots of threads on this). Although I haven't had to do a fuse pull to reset the TCU in 3 months or so.

Talking to other EV owners (we have many at work), it seems almost every remote access system suffers from slow and unreliable access, except Tesla.
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17) 32K miTesla S 75D (3/17) 22K mi
Model 3 reservation (invited to order 1/18)

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”