Leaf15
Delivery Date: 09 Jun 2018

Re: Is Nissan Connect (Carwings) worth it?

Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:00 pm

How can I tell if my car's TCU has been upgraded? I've only had it for a couple of months. I do believe it's still sending info to Nissan, from the nag screen that appears when I turn the car on.

Visit https://owners.nissanusa.com/nowners/ and try to setup your car and try to enable Carwings /NissanConnect EV - it will tell you if you need your car unit upgraded.
Leaf 2015 SV CPO

Silverfish
Delivery Date: 21 Jun 2018

Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:42 pm

Leaf15 wrote:
How can I tell if my car's TCU has been upgraded? I've only had it for a couple of months. I do believe it's still sending info to Nissan, from the nag screen that appears when I turn the car on.

Visit https://owners.nissanusa.com/nowners/ and try to setup your car and try to enable Carwings /NissanConnect EV - it will tell you if you need your car unit upgraded.

Thanks, I'll try that.

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:54 am

Silverfish wrote:Is Nissan Connect worth it? It seems weird to me to pay money to Nissan just to send them data that benefits them more than me. I don't need to start the heater or AC before I get in the car.

So what do people like about Nissan Connect?
What do I like:

Remote status: Where I work we have dozens of shared EVSEs. When I park in the morning half the time I don't get to plug in immediately, because the car next to me is already charging. With the app I can query the car around lunch to see if it's already been plugged in; otherwise I need to go out and plug it in (everyone who goes out to the garage swaps any plugs to cars waiting to charge, so often someone has already plugged me in).

Remote HVAC: Some days in the summer (this week when it's been >90°F every day) I want to turn on the A/C before I head out to the car to cool it off (even though it's in a garage and generally not too hot already).

What do I dislike:

It's slow. Really slow. Starting the Android app can take 10-20s, and querying status can take 1-2 minutes.

It's unreliable. Sometimes I turn on the A/C while in the office and when I reach the car 5 minutes later it is still not on. Or it just doesn't respond at all. Or Nissan has an outage that lasts days to weeks.

The upgraded 3G modem has a serious bug that causes it to lock-up and continually consume power, eventually causing the 12V battery to die. (lots of threads on this). Although I haven't had to do a fuse pull to reset the TCU in 3 months or so.

Talking to other EV owners (we have many at work), it seems almost every remote access system suffers from slow and unreliable access, except Tesla.
Last edited by jlv on Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17, sold 11/18) 34K mi
Tesla S 75D (3/17) 29K mi
Tesla X 100D (ordered, 12/18 delivery)
3 reservation canceled

Zleaf
Delivery Date: 24 Aug 2018

Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:16 pm

Question regarding registration on Nissan Connect: I bought my Leaf second hand a couple weeks ago and after registering on Nissan Owners website, I am having trouble adding the Leaf's VIN number. After I enter the VIN number and press Submit, nothing happens. The VIN number is correct:(
I wonder if my previous owner previous registration could have something to do with it? How does Nissan get informed of new ownershiP

baustin
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 402162

Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:44 pm

Zleaf wrote:Question regarding registration on Nissan Connect: I bought my Leaf second hand a couple weeks ago and after registering on Nissan Owners website, I am having trouble adding the Leaf's VIN number. After I enter the VIN number and press Submit, nothing happens. The VIN number is correct:(
I wonder if my previous owner previous registration could have something to do with it? How does Nissan get informed of new ownershiP

You need to call the EV Help Line 877-NOGASEV and get the car put in your name. I had to send in a copy of the purchase contract when I bought mine.
2013 Leaf SV - Cayenne Red - QC Port - LED Headlights

specialgreen
Delivery Date: 26 Mar 2017

Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:25 am

Silverfish wrote:Interesting. I didn't realize the service was free ongoing.

When I was "Leaf-shopping," I just assumed that if the car had a cell phone service, then I would need to pay something monthly for that (like OnStar). It seems strange to me that EV makers are internalizing that cost: I'd think it would add $1k per car, over the life of a car (last I looked, IoT LTE access cost about $7/month). The only way it wouldn't add to the car's cost is if the car maker sells data about your driving/location/etc.

SalisburySam
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 24 Feb 2012
Leaf Number: 018156

Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:41 pm

For OP, is it worth getting? It's free, so sure, it's worth that.

Next question, is it worth USING? Well, that depends. For me it takes a very loooong time to connect, and it fails to do so at all in most cases with my iPhone6 and my wife's iPhoneSE, ditto my and her iPads. When I first got my 2012 SL new, I used the app several times a day both to learn and see the new ways I can capture my driving experience, and it was something I'd never had for a vehicle before delivering stuff beyond what OnStar and its other automotive companions delivered. Over time, I've cared less and less about the details provided and have found LEAFSpyPro far more useful to me for those bits of data. Still need the Nissan app to control the pre-heat/-cool though and that's my only use for the app today. And it's a crapshoot if it's going to work even for that limited feature.

Earlier on, Nissan had made noise about beginning to charge for the app and/or the CARWINGS service. Many, many posters in this forum said that if that actually happened, they'd just discontinue using the service, given its flakiness. I felt the same. At any rate, Nissan hasn't begun to charge and likely will not, at least not until it becomes far more reliable and useful and there appears to be little appetite at Nissan to make that happen. That's only my opinion of course, worth everything you paid for it.
Nissan 2012 LEAF SL Super Black
12,900 miles, 10 bars showing, 75% SOH, 49.80 Ahr

Tesla Model 3 - Basic Black | Long Range | Premium Upgrade Package | Extended AutoPilot | Full Self-Driving
Delivered: July 19, 2018 | 3,200 miles

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:05 pm

specialgreen wrote:I'd think it would add $1k per car, over the life of a car (last I looked, IoT LTE access cost about $7/month).

I doubt if Nissan is paying 70 cents a month per car.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:27 pm

So glad I didn't do the TCU upgrade, as so many owners have had nothing but problems. Absolutely stupid design in the first place. The TCU should have a SIM card slot and built in WiFi, leaving it up to the owner to choose the connectivity.
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:46 am

alozzy wrote:The TCU should have a SIM card slot and built in WiFi, leaving it up to the owner to choose the connectivity.

Owner supplied SIM and network would cost you about US$1000 more, over the life of car. Retail vs wholesale. Might be a lot nicer, is true. Network connection rather than SMS would be much faster.

WIFI that connects to home network? Or hotspot in car?
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”