Public charging station payment behaviour

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

be236

I'm new here and got the various cards for the major charging companies: Blink, AV, Chargepoint, EvGo.

So, when I go up to each station, will it clearly show what the cost will be upfront BEFORE I scan my card?

Basically, if after I scan my card, will I be able to cancel the charge (because I see it's not free or too expensive) without it billing me for my "unused" session? Do they ask for confirmation, as in "Hit Enter to continue or Exit to cancel your charge session?"

How do each of these different companies chargers behave?

Chargepoint stations will. I can't speak for all the others.

EVgo's pricing can depend on the plan you're on. Blink pricing you can see in their app and web site. They have a different price for members and non-members. Aerovironment is aka Webasto now. I've never personally used stations from these latter three.

I use Chargepoint at work all the time. I've only used free or free for the first few hour(s) Chargepoint stations. I've yet to pay for any public or workplace charging in my almost 5 years of Leaf as my primary car.

be236 said:
I'm new here and got the various cards for the major charging companies: Blink, AV, Chargepoint, EvGo.

Missing Greenlots and SemaCharge, as I think you are in Seattle.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/142090
Many Walgreens have SemaCharge stations.
Add Flo, if you go to Canada.

be236 said:
So, when I go up to each station, will it clearly show what the cost will be upfront BEFORE I scan my card?

Seems very common, if not universal. Also check on Plugshare, if you are unsure.

be236 said:
Basically, if after I scan my card, will I be able to cancel the charge (because I see it's not free or too expensive) without it billing me for my "unused" session?

Never tried.

be236 said:
Do they ask for confirmation, as in "Hit Enter to continue or Exit to cancel your charge session?"

Some Blink units have asked for my zip code. But usually, it just starts charging.

I usually prefer paid chargers while traveling, as they tend to be more reliable and available than the free units. Otherwise I charge at home, or sometimes at work.

AV/Webasto is a monthly charge of $20 for all the charging you want. Or call them, or use pay-with-PlugShare.

Yes, I'm near Seattle.

Sometimes Plugshare doesn't list the cost accurate or don't list the cost at all.

My concern is that I go up to the public charger, scan my card, it then shows the price and/or my account plan ... but then I decide not to charge, but the charging machine bills me m immediately since I swiped my card into their system/machine and they have my credit card linked to their card...

Generally, no. I can't speak for every single provider out there, but if you don't start actually charging, they won't bill you. I did have something like that happen with EVGo a couple of years ago where I was unable to get the charge session going, but got charged, and I when I called CS, they were happy to remove the charge. I wouldn't lose sleep.

Back