Leaf spy help

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flicker

I recently purchased a used 2012 leaf. It's has about 50 miles of range on a full charge, but the dashboard shows 5 out of 12 bars of capacity? The battery was replaced in 2014 so I'm thinking they never reset it. I was also curious about upgrading the battery by possibly replacing specific, low capicty cells (if that's possible..) Also, the battery was replaced in 2014 so that battery should still be under warrenty, right?
I can't seem to find any direct information about this.
Anyway, while weighing my options I decided to try out leaf spy to get a better understanding of the real state of the vehicle. The problem is I don't know what any of this means.
Please help me interpret this. I'd also appreciate advise on the best course of action to regaining the range.

5cKuDo6.jpg

cZIg1cb.jpg

flicker said:
I recently purchased a used 2012 leaf.

Where are you? Please click on your name, select profile and enter something meaningful for location. Doesn't need to be exact, just enough so people understand your climate, as that matters a lot for battery life. Any answers we give need this information: I'd give a rather different answer if you were in Bellingham, WA than in some hot place.

Where was the car? A replacement battery in 2014 suggests a very hot place, as does the current SOH of a 2014 battery. Do you have a history of where the car was?

flicker said:
Also, I just found out the battery wasn't replaced in 2014. A valve on it was replaced.

Ah, that makes more sense. Today, call Nissan and find the date of service on this car. If less than 60 months ago, as the car has less than 60k miles, you might quality for a new battery. A very few 2012s sat on dealer lots well into 2013. If the date of service was on or after 5 October 2013, get the car to a Nissan dealer and get them to verify. A tiny chance, but do verify first. If so, you might be able to get a new battery.

In the likely case that you don't qualify for a warranty replacement, I can think of three choices:

1) live with the car the way it is. If the limited range is all you need, drive until that is no longer true, then pick (2) or (3).
2) replace the battery. Expensive, and the price seems to vary by dealer so shop around. Better range for a long time, as the replacement battery is a better chemistry with much longer life.
3) get rid of the car.

Back