Mileage estimation in low battery charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

we've had our Leaf 2015 for a couple of months now, and while I normally keep it charged in the 20-90% range, it just happened to me twice that I drove it below 17% when the SOC percentage indicator disappears and just says "low battery".

I am not completely sure, but I think I noticed that when I enter the "low battery" state, the mileage indicator is not updated anymore. The last time I tried to pay attention, and as soon as the battery SOC % disappeared and "low battery" was displayed, my mileage estimation indicator said 24km. I then drove at least 3-4km more before reaching home, and did not see the mileage estimation update... until the very end when it actually updated to 25km, so +1km!

I know that in general the mileage indicator provides an estimation, but can someone confirm whether in "low battery" condition the mileage indicator is actually completely useless? Considering that this is the time when you might be looking for a charging station asap, I would say that it is also the time when at least a reasonable estimation of the range left is most useful...

Thanks!

There are two low battery warnings, not one. The first, "Low Battery Warning," (LBW) typically comes on at 18-19%, and with that one the range estimator keeps working. The second warning, "Very Low Battery Warning" (VLBW) comes on at roughly 10% charge, and shortly afterwards the range estimator stops working, with the estimate replaced by "---". AFAIK the estimate keeps updating until it vanishes. I think that what you are seeing is the estimate going up slightly, because of your slowing down as the result of the warning(s).

Also, at some point after VLBW, the % SoC value will go from some whole # (like 6% to ---%).

IIRC, once you hit VLBW, the guess-o-meter (GOM) aka the silly stupid number on the right side will turn to --- miles or km.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=17895 was what I observed when I had a 12 bar '13 in 2014, prior to having Leaf Spy.

shroud said:
I know that in general the mileage indicator provides an estimation, but can someone confirm whether in "low battery" condition the mileage indicator is actually completely useless?
The GOM is crap as it is. It's totally useless when the GOM turns to --- miles or km.

If you want more visibility, esp. once the % SoC value turns to ---%, then you should use Leaf Spy. Leaf Spy also has as smarter GOM.

Back