Lost my first bar...maybe?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbshn41

I have a 2013 S model, purchased 2nd hand in 10/17 with 20k miles, now at 34k mikes. I charge to 80% regularly with L2 when needed, and have only gone to 100% a dozen or so times when needed, and drove the vehicle almost immediately when doing so. I have used L3 charging when needed, and have tried to space it out when possible. I park in an attached garage while at home, and try to limit parking on hot exposed surfaces.

Today I charge up to 80% on L2, unplugged, then realized I was going further to do errands, so plugged in and charged up to 100%. When I got in the car to go out, right when it was nearing 100% (three solid blue lights), I noticed that I had 12 bars of charge, but only 11 bars potential showing.

Anyone ever seen this? Does this mean I officially lost a bar? I don’t have an OBD tool or Leaf Spy, so I can’t check the exact details. More interested if anyone has seen this before.

I'm not sure if there is some special problem with the way you charged, but I have a 2013S and lost my first bar at 36,000. My wife also has a 2013, SV, though. She still has all bars at 41,000. We live in SF Bay area. Both bought new.

dmbshn41 said:
I noticed that I had 12 bars of charge, but only 11 bars potential showing.

Anyone ever seen this? Does this mean I officially lost a bar?
The thinnest bars all the way on the right are the capacity bars.

Yes, you've lost 1 capacity bar now. It's possible it might come back for a bit then go away for good. http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/wiki/battery-capacity-loss/ is an example of a fully charged 3 capacity bar loser.

My 5/2013 built used '13 Leaf lost its 1st bar in Nov 2017: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=511915#p511915. I'm still at 11 bars past 60K miles. My SOH has has been staying mostly at 83.xx% although recently, it's gone as high as 85.xx%. I'm in a hotter part of the SF Bay Area but take steps to keep the battery cooler. And, on Sundays thru Thursdays, I don't charge to 100% unless I need the range.

I’d post a picture for clarity but this message board system from 1998 won’t allow me to do so from mobile.

I feel that I’ve been fairly conservative with my charging. Try to keep it between 30-80% luckily my commute allows for that, and my employer has more than ample EV charging available. Was hoping to go longer before losing first bar. I had climate control timer activated as well when charging 80 to 100%, but I’ve only recently stated using that. Hoping it’s a weird fluke and bar comes back. I’ll have to invest in a dongle to gather more info. Thanks for the replies.

dmbshn41 said:
I’d post a picture for clarity but this message board system from 1998 won’t allow me to do so from mobile.
You need to have paid membership to attach images. Otherwise, you'll need to host them elsewhere like https://imgur.com/.

What was the build month on your '13 Leaf? It's on the driver's side door sticker. Where did it resided before? Carfax/Autocheck would've probably given you a hint.

Approximately, where are you located? Can you update your location info via your user name in the upper right > User Control Panel > Profile tab? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

I just charged my 01/13 Leaf today and had the same thing happen. I just got it about 2 weeks ago and it was down to 9 bars. It always charged to 9 bars until today. The only difference was that I was not nearly as low on the GOM as normal when I went to charge. I'm wondering if my Leaf just lost its 10th bar prior to my purchase now.

cwerdna said:
dmbshn41 said:
You need to have paid membership to attach images. Otherwise, you'll need to host them elsewhere like https://imgur.com/.

What was the build month on your '13 Leaf? It's on the driver's side door sticker. Where did it resided before? Carfax/Autocheck would've probably given you a hint.

Approximately, where are you located? Can you update your location info via your user name in the upper right > User Control Panel > Profile tab? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

Built 10/30. Car was located in Ohio prior to me owning, and up until spring of this year, then I moved to Northern Nevada.

Overall I can’t complain about the car. Got it at a great deal. I’ve actually grown slightly bored as I don’t have to do oil changes, brake checks, etc like I previously did. Dipped my toes into the EV life to see if it worked for me, and so far it has.

Back