Another Mileage Question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Champions

We will be receiving our Leaf the first part of April. We're getting this car for a daily commute of about 50 miles each way. While at work the Leaf will be plugged into 120 VAC for the day, and in the 10 hours or so that I'm there, It is my hope that it will go back to 100%.

The real question is this, I know that hills eat battery life. On this drive I'll be going over a 2,000 foot high hill / mountain each way, and then down the other side. I know the car will not get back what it expels, but I figure it will get something back at least. Most of the rest of the drive is reasonable flat, and will average 60 MPH. Like another user, I plan to drive the car, and use the heater and AC in the summer.

Can anyone give some insight if this will work out? Thanks in advance... :D

Champions said:
for a daily commute of about 50 miles each way.
Can anyone give some insight if this will work out?

I don't see a problem even with the hill. Going to work, starting with a full charge, you should be able to get there no problem. The question is will the L1 charging restore the battery sufficiently for the return trip. I would think that 10 hours should be sufficient to recharge enough to get home. I've heard the L1 charging will restore enough for a 5 mile range per hour of charging .

I'm also expecting delivery in April - from a dealer who is 86 miles away from home. The Nissan dealer has assured me that driving in eco mode I should have no problem getting home.

Champions said:
The real question is this, I know that hills eat battery life. On this drive I'll be going over a 2,000 foot high hill / mountain each way, and then down the other side.
From other threads - that 2K ft will probably cost you some 2kwh or 8 miles. So, you should be able to make it, if you can charge for 8 to 10 hours. You may have to drive conservatively in the beginning until you know how much energy you are using.

I just finished a run today not too different in terms of altitude and speed.
9 mi to top; 1500 ft altitude and then down same distance
Freeway speeds: 60-65 mph
Climate control on: (heat)
Lost 4 bars of SOC and read 2.2 mi/kWh at the top
Not much regen to be had when your at freeway speeds due to wind and rolling resistance so I doubt I gained much charge coming back down.

Generally, as stated by others, I think you'll be ok getting there. It's the amount of charge you'll get back with the L1 that's questionable. I'd be concerned that 10 hours is enough juice to get you home but maybe ok.

Back