Various questions, need your experience

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo2ltr

So I've spent 20 of the past 48 hours sitting in the car messing with CAN messages. I can only imagine what data will come out when the car goes in for it's battery inspection.. lol.

I've decoded a LOT of data but still have some holes to fill in. In order to help understand data I've collected, I have some questions I'd like owners to answer.

For those that have hit turtle mode more than once, was it always at the same range value or did it vary? Any insight on how/why it varied? i.e. were you driving differently at each occurrence..

When checking the web portal or the iPhone app, have you noticed if the SOC number is stepped in any way? i.e. will it always go from 83% to 80%, but never 82%?

Please don't speculate as that won't help me at all. Looking for solid answers.

Oops, Sorry.

The SOC bargraph has SOC values (specified in the Service Manual) associated with the bars turning ON or going OFF, seeming to suggest that there might be a continuum of SOC values. Also, the calculated Miles Remaining must be based on SOC, and it is apparently not "stepped".

However, only these "trigger" SOC values have been reported seen in CARWINGS, almost as if only the number of SOC-Bars is reported to CARWINGS.

However, only these "trigger" SOC values have been reported seen in CARWINGS, almost as if only the number of SOC-Bars is reported to CARWINGS.

I have not looked at the portal much, though my current setting is 83% which doesn't seem to be one of the steps listed in the manual. But I have found evidence that the portal could indeed just be reading the number of bars.

Are there at least some "standard" values (like speed) that occur on the buss, and something like the ScanGauge II can pick up?

I think some have reported that the ScanGauge II will not even "connect". Any idea why?

Keep up the great work.

Knowing how limited the OBDII spec is, I have not even bothered with that type of communication. I went straight for the jugular. :)

I can't say for sure about the Scangauge. I've posed the following question to several people and no one can give me an answer: do zero emission vehicles even need to be OBDII compliant? Standardized diagnostics were implemented (originally by CARB) as a way to curb emissions and is now federally mandated to comply with emissions laws. So does a car that produces zero emissions that can never fail an emissions test even need a standardized emissions diagnostic interface to comply with emissions laws?

Back